Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Apon A Tent

Banned Member
    Thanks

Default Building Apon A Tent

So I'm looking to know if you can take a 1 or 2 season tent and build upon it to make it a 4 season tent? Even a 1 season tent. But what I mean by this is taking a simple tent and before winter taking spruce bows and placing them either in or under the tent to stop the cold from reaching you and to keep the rain from inside of the tent. Then taking paracord and running three strands along the outside of the tent and then placing spruce bows on the outside of the tent to help weather proof it. The paracord to keep the bows from pressing against the side of the tent.

That's how I'd do it, would doing it that way make it into a 4 season shelter? Would be adding a stove depending on the tent size. Also what are your suggestions? I'd buy a 4 season if I had the money for it, but money's tight. I'm looking for ways to turn a 1 or 2 season into a 4 season.

Thanks

I have tried it twice now for bigger tents and in my experience it simply isn't worth it. Improving a 3-season tent for winter is going to be easy or difficult depending on the tent.

Good winter tents are expensive for a reason.
    How big a tent do you need, solo or 3 or more people?
    Fixed camp or moving every day??
    if you look at most winter tents they have either a lot of lightweight crossing/ intersecting poles/wands up to 6 hoop poles or the frames are made of really strong timber or tubing and a lot of the cost of a tent is in the frame.

One of the things I'm looking at for my winter is taking my old cotton tent and using a really strong steel A-frame with a nylon flysheet over the top and an All-weather blanket inside strung over the internal ridge line. But I will not be carrying that on my back or the pulk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 518 Posts

I would keep the tent for summer camping and get a nice canvas tarp 10x10 and set it up as a baker tent with a nice big fire out in front. I don't think theres much you could do to make a summer tent into a 4 season. Maybe get an extra sleep pad for more insulation?

Banned Member
    Thanks

I don't drive, so carrying the material would be hard. Also it would be a fixed camp. My price range is $100.00 or below for everything I purchase.

Thanks

A hundred dollars, strong enough for winter and light enough to carry on your back is a pretty tough combination. I would be looking for a good second-hand single pole tipi, and sew in extra snow flaps along the edges. I have to say tho that I don't have snow flaps on my Megamid I usually just dig down a bit and build a low wall as well.
    If you can make a lean-to or have a couple of trees close enough to fix a permanent ridge pole a tarp as additional shelter would not weigh too much more
    Last edited by Moondog55; 03-21-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add anothere thought

Banned Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    A hundred dollars, strong enough for winter and light enough to carry on your back is a pretty tough combination. I would be looking for a good second-hand single pole tipi, and sew in extra snow flaps along the edges. I have to say tho that I don't have snow flaps on my Megamid I usually just dig down a bit and build a low wall as well.
    If you can make a lean-to or have a couple of trees close enough to fix a permanent ridge pole a tarp as additional shelter would not weigh too much more
    I could save up for something, but I'd like it to be able to fit on my cart and last a long time through the years. Something I could leave outside for years and it would be fine. Keep in mind I'd most likely put things in, around, and on it to keep it lasting longer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Citizen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,210 Posts

While growing up, my Dad tried to make a cheap 2-man tent work for winter and it never did work. So he then tried other experiment and we always ended sleeping in the back of a ford ranger with camper shell hudled next to a propane heater. If you want a winter tent you might as well spend the cash om a four season or canvas tent or set up the tarp with a good fire and good insulation.

Thanks

in my experience summer tents are extremely hard to make four season tents. The problem being overhead insulation. Summer tents just don't have the insulation to stop heat loss on the top and sides of the tent. I have better luck with a tarp to protect me and my kids from the elements and then a firewall to reflect the heat from our fire. There may be someone on the site with some more practical info, and I would love to hear it as well.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Forgot to mention that it would be for only me, possibly someone else, and the gear we/I'd have with me.

Banned Member
    Thanks

These are the two I've been looking at but have been cautious to buy. They say 4 season but I don't know tents. So I post it here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Pol...item3380b1cba9

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eureka-Assau...item460d4442a6

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast