Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dirty buckskin help

Thanks

Default dirty buckskin help

i just took my buckskin out of the creek and this is what it looks like nowIMG_0603.jpg
    after i egg tan and smoke it is there a way to clean it out or will it just be this way? i dont mind probably add character to it but not sure if it is from dirt in the creek or fom the cedars growing there im guessing dirt.
    thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redrooster1700 For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

try rinsing in cold clear purified water before you tan. If you wash after you smoke, you'll lose the beautiful gold from the smoking. Of course after two tan and stretch and work and dry the hide, don't let it come in contact with any water

Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redrooster1700 View Post
    i just took my buckskin out of the creek and this is what it looks like nowIMG_0603.jpg
    after i egg tan and smoke it is there a way to clean it out or will it just be this way? i dont mind probably add character to it but not sure if it is from dirt in the creek or fom the cedars growing there im guessing dirt.
    thanks
    It will be white once you scrape the membrane off whether you use the wet scrape or dry scrape method.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Road King For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Road King View Post
    It will be white once you scrape the membrane off whether you use the wet scrape or dry scrape method.
    already scraped it off it was nice and white

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood666 View Post
    try rinsing in cold clear purified water before you tan. If you wash after you smoke, you'll lose the beautiful gold from the smoking. Of course after two tan and stretch and work and dry the hide, don't let it come in contact with any water
    I should tan it twice? well did it once already today sooo i should tan stretch and dry once more? thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks

I should tan it twice? well did it once already today sooo i should tan stretch and dry once more? thanks
    If its already tanned, finish as usual and smoke it. After that, wash repeatedly. If it was smoked properly on both sides, will become soft with just a few minutes of working it with your hands. If you want a deeper color, re smoke it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironwood666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood666 View Post
    If its already tanned, finish as usual and smoke it. After that, wash repeatedly. If it was smoked properly on both sides, will become soft with just a few minutes of working it with your hands. If you want a deeper color, re smoke it.
    IMG_0605.jpg
    this is it as of today still need to smoke it could you tell me if it needs to be 4 hrs on each side or can less time be as effective. thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redrooster1700 For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

did you stretch it after to tanned it?

I can't tell you how long, but you want it to be a nice deep dijon mustard brown at the least. Make sure you build a smoking box so you don't damage the hide. I recommend glueing the edges so it forms a cone and suspending it above the smoking box from a tripod. When one side is done, carefully turn it inside out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironwood666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

yeah stretched it since 230 till 9 by hand my finger nails are killing me!some parts soft as felt paper some thicker spots like soft leather glove. thanks for the input brother i still have a few whitish spots so i should be able to judge by your standards, much apprieciated!!!

Banned Member
    Thanks

yeah stretched it since 230 till 9 by hand my finger nails are killing me!some parts soft as felt paper some thicker spots like soft leather glove. thanks for the input brother i still have a few whitish spots so i should be able to judge by your standards, much apprieciated!!!
    You can never over smoke a hide, but if you under smoke it and it gets wet, you have to start over. don't take risks and you'll have a stunning hide.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironwood666 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast