Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Spring Overnighter

Thanks
    Thanked 3,488 Times in 346 Posts

Default Early Spring Overnighter

I got a chance to get out for an overnighter last weekend and finally got a chance to post this weekend. Last weekend in Arkansas was great for camping. Daytime temps in the 70's and high 40's to low 50's at night. This weekend it is cold and rainy so staying in is not so bad.

I hiked in about 3 miles to a nice, secluded spot. Here are a few pictures:

Signs of Spring:

Water source near camp:

Another interesting (to me) hollowed out old tree. It almost looks like a fireplace with chimney:

Roots grown together to form an "eye":

and finally, everything dumped out at camp:

Continued

Thanks

The Kitchen:

My new Turley (Awesome!) preparing a stake:

Getting the fire started:

A different kind of steak:

Continued

Thanks

Great looking camp my friend

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawoodsman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And letting the fire die down:

I had a great outing overall but had a first-time unpleasant experience during the night. I have slept outside on the ground on many trips over the past 30 years without any problems. Creepy-crawlies have never been a problem for me - until now.

I had just gotten to sleep when I felt someting crawl across my ear, and then right into my ear. I won't say I freaked out but it did result in a rather quick rise from my bed. I could feel and hear "it" moving inside my ear. Apparently doing a little dance, whatever "it" was. It was very apparent that this was not going to be something I could tolerate for long and I was trying to figure out what I was going to do about it when I felt "it" moving to get out the same way it got in. I immendiately reach up and grabbed "it". It turned out to be a very tiny little spider. He did not survive the encounter but I did.

Having something moving around inside my head is not something I want to repeat. (All of those voices are bad enough! ) I spent the rest of the night with a stocking cap pulled down over my ears. If it ever crept up where I could feel air on my earlobes, I would wake up, grab it frantically and tug it back down. Needless to say, it was not the best night of sleep I have had in the woods. When I got home and told the story to some friends they asked me how long the spider was in my ear. I told them it was the longest 4 hours of my life. In reality it was probably about 1 minute, but it sure felt longer than that at the time. Luckily, no harm done (well, except for the spider.)

Other than that little incident, it was great to get out. I will be out again soon but from now on if I don't pack a tent or hammock, I am packing earplugs. I hope you enjoy the pics and story and hope you can get out soon too.

Thanks

Looks like you had a great weekend, other that that spider issue. This weekend would not have been so nice. Where in Arkansas are you? I am near Dardanelle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mboyce For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mboyce View Post
    Looks like you had a great weekend, other that that spider issue. This weekend would not have been so nice. Where in Arkansas are you? I am near Dardanelle.
    Little Rock. Most of my trips are in and around the Ouachita National Forest.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,562 Times in 2,392 Posts

Nice trip and I hear ya about the creepy crawlies, I am in Mt. Home and the ticks were out in force last weekend, 6 inchs snow this weekend.
    I have a Turley like yous coming if Iz makes it bacjk from his campin trip this week!t

Larry
    Just my opinion, I COULD be wrong!!

Turley #88 GEEZER

AXE MOB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bax 40 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Fishguts Bush Class Basic Certified kgd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,069 Times in 404 Posts

Thanks for the thread and story at the end. Two years ago while in Florida I ended up having to stay at a campground due to timing before I could get into backcountry the next day. I was outfitted for hammock camping, but didn't find out until just beforehand that hammocks were not allowed. So I stopped by a surplus store and bought a mosquito mesh to rig up with my tarp. That evening it started thunderstorming (longer than the usual afternoon 15 min dum) and 3 or 4 rats decided that my shelter was a good place to huddle up. It didn't seem to take them long to figure out how to work their way under my mesh screening and were hopping around over my legs and body. Needless to say, the rats won the shelter. I crawled away and slept in the back seat of my rental car

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kgd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kgd View Post
    Thanks for the thread and story at the end. Two years ago while in Florida I ended up having to stay at a campground due to timing before I could get into backcountry the next day. I was outfitted for hammock camping, but didn't find out until just beforehand that hammocks were not allowed. So I stopped by a surplus store and bought a mosquito mesh to rig up with my tarp. That evening it started thunderstorming (longer than the usual afternoon 15 min dum) and 3 or 4 rats decided that my shelter was a good place to huddle up. It didn't seem to take them long to figure out how to work their way under my mesh screening and were hopping around over my legs and body. Needless to say, the rats won the shelter. I crawled away and slept in the back seat of my rental car
    LOL. Great story. Thanks.

Tracker
    Thanks

thanks for the pics, they make me want to get back out there after this long winter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirrelCommander For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast