Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here keep chickens for eggs or meat?

Thanks

Default Anyone here keep chickens for eggs or meat?

We have a flock of 11 and wondered if anyone else was a chicken keeper. For me it helps me get back to my roots of when my grandparents and great grandparents lived off the land and relied on their animals for so much. It also lets my children learn skills that are slowly dying in todays world of video games and iPhones. Share some pictures if you have them. I love seeing others chicken coops and setups.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kenton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,234 Posts

yep, got a few my coops not worth photgraphing though the taste of fresh eggs from a healthy active chicken is a whole world diferent from what you can get in a supermarket.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amusin For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,954 Times in 664 Posts

Well, close - we went with ducks instead because they are better entertainment and because they will eat all the slugs out of the garden without wrecking the plants. Eggs are good. Funny critters.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crookedknife For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 406 Posts

Default Way back when

My Dad raised chickens in Suburbia until 17 years ago. We raised and slaughtered meat birds for only one year, and layers for 4-5. We stopped when his Arborist business took off and he didn't have time to keep up the garden. I miss them.

Have you played the "marshmallow" game with them?

@crookedknife: I have been known to do unspeakable things for a breakfast of duck eggs and bacon

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pekane For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,954 Times in 664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pekane View Post
    @crookedknife: I have been known to do unspeakable things for a breakfast of duck eggs and bacon
    Duck eggs and moose sausage ain't bad either.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crookedknife For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 406 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crookedknife View Post
    Duck eggs and moose sausage ain't bad either.
    I think I need to trade my Uncle for moose then. He won the lottery a couple years ago and may have some left.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pekane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,761 Times in 8,891 Posts

Wife is wanting to try this, and I am wondering about getting a portable/ movable coop and cage. We have bad coyote problems, and can't shoot them often, without waking the neighbors. So can't let them run free.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 346 Posts

We've had chickens for many years. They turn kitchen and garden scraps into eggs and meat. Eventually hens get old and don't lay many eggs any more. But they sure make good enchiladas and chicken stew if they spend some time in the crock pot.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Wife is wanting to try this, and I am wondering about getting a portable/ movable coop and cage. We have bad coyote problems, and can't shoot them often, without waking the neighbors. So can't let them run free.
    Dogs, coyotes, owls, hawks, raccoons, etc etc, love chicken meat too and can really wipe out your flock. A good fence and a safe place for them to sleep at night is the only way to protect them. I live in major predator country (coyotes, foxes, mtn lions, bob cats, bears, etc etc. and have never lost anything to predators because of a really good fence. We let ours run free for a while in the PM as long as the dog is out there to protect them. They go back into the pen at dusk and we close them in for the night.

Last edited by gila_dog; 03-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to gila_dog For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

My wife and I had a few chickens until a raccoon got them. I'm working on fortifying the coop a bit before we get some more. I loved having fresh eggs. They do taste a lot better than the store bought. It was also a lot of entertainment giving them left over scraps...especially chicken and turkey carcasses! They're pretty low cost to keep and are a lot more rugged than you'd give them credit for.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 622 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Can't you hunt with suppressors (silencers) in Texas, or would the coyotes be too much trouble?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kyporter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast