Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .177 or .22 cal for an air rifle??

Hardwood Plainsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,906 Times in 3,876 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default .177 or .22 cal for an air rifle??

Ok, I'm looking to get me a nicer air rifle mostly for squirrels and rabbits and the neighbors cat once and awhile!!

Why should I choose one over the other, .177 or .22??
    Skab Leatherworks Subforum

Blog

Tracker Pack#10

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skab For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This is mineimage.jpgI'd say get a 22.I have a 177 and have found it to be great for plinking and for birds but for a squirrel it needs a head shot which can get a little hard.The benjiman trail by crosman has a sling which is great,carrying a 6 pound gun all day can get tiring.
    Last edited by Bk2 in the Backwoods; 03-24-2013 at 08:22 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bk2 in the Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My opinion; .22 caliber for shear knock-down power; especially for a dedicated hunting rifle.
    What you would give up in marginal range; and a little rainbow effect; the smack-down is where it counts. If you hunt small game similar to how I do; it's up close and personal any way.
    If you were hunting birds; I'd have to go with the .177.
    Inside of about 65 yards; and you would be absolutely lethal with a spring-barrel .22 air rifle.
    However; you shoot the neighbor's cat and it will be the next of his nine lives

Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,644 Times in 5,081 Posts

No issues with a .177 on waskally wabbits in my backyard, head shot with a scope every time and its lights out.
    I imagine my Benjamin Sheridan would have no problem, its just a lot louder.

Thanks

If you are hunting furred critters, I would recommend a .22 (5.5mm). I use a Benjamin Sheridan 392 with a Williams Peep sight. This airgun anchors squirrels that eat my tomatoes and peppers out to 25 yds. Asking folks whether .177 or .22 is better gets the forum into the "small & fast vs. slow & heavy" bullet/projectile debate (as there are many on the internet!). It boils down to what you are comfortable using, and more importantly accurate with to make a clean kill.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Chazzle

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,833 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Items for Sale

Why not get both?

http://www.airgundepot.com/hammerli-...fle-combo.html

I use my .177 RWS 34 for squirrels and rabbits with no problems. I use a good heavy domed pellet, 10.5 gr, and haven't lost one yet.
    It Don't matter where I'm at cause right now I sure ain't here.
    Seek the Eagles, not the Parrots....
    The answer you seek can only be observed in the Cookie jar bottom Young one, Ask the cookies, your answer here shall be... So Sayeth the "Book of Black"!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sweeneyguy For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Split the difference and get a .20 cal. Ive got a Beeman in .20 and it does the job. I have shot a lot of vermin with it including 15 or 20 woodchucks, most dropped in their tracks with headshots. No problem with squirrels out to 30 yrds either.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,162 Posts

I picked up a .177 last year and have taken over a dozen squirrels with it and half a dozen rabbits. It's got ample power for close range as one of the pellets went through a running squirrels shoulder and excited out the other. However, I did hit one tough old squirrel in the head (I always aim at the eyeball. It's a nice spot to aim for) and she ran off. I found her later in the summer and put another shot in her head. She had a scar like Scar from the Lion Kong and was missing an eye from my shot that was half a cm off of where I aimed. I felt horrible for unknowingly crippling her.
    I had been using round nose pellets as I had heard they were the best option for hunting penetration with a 177. I switched over to Gamo pellets that have a BB in the nose; Rockets maybe, and never lost another shot but I was still a bit shaken.

So I just picked up a Crosman Venom NP (Wood stocked) for $149 from Wallymart with free site to store shipping last week. Spring squirrel season is coming in June and hopefully I'll fare better. It should be similar to shooting 22 shorts out of my little Winchester.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Thanks

I added a Weihrauch single shot .177 that hits pretty hard from Pyramid Air. There is an art to cradling your left hand on the forestock that will improve accuracy.

My Ruger 10-22 is hard to beat for most things.

Don't rule out a .22 mag in a rifle. It can be a little loud if not in the country.

Hardwood Plainsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,906 Times in 3,876 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by mrjefe2u View Post
    I added a Weihrauch single shot .177 that hits pretty hard from Pyramid Air. There is an art to cradling your left hand on the forestock that will improve accuracy.

My Ruger 10-22 is hard to beat for most things.

Don't rule out a .22 mag in a rifle. It can be a little loud if not in the country.
    I have plenty of actual firearms......several .22's.......just want a new air rifle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to shoot. Have you seen the prices that .22 ammo is bringing right now?
    Skab Leatherworks Subforum

Blog

Tracker Pack#10

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skab For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast