Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush pot

Thanks

Default Bush pot

What size do you prefer? My birthday is coming up and I wanted to get the Mors pot but not sure what size, 5 or 8 cup. I am sure the 5 would work.
    Thanks
    Ed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brains For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 735 Posts

I have the larger one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sides For This Useful Post:

Camp Cook Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,518 Times in 697 Posts

I'd say to get the 1.8 liter ( 8 cup ). The larger size allows you to heat more water, and it has the bail already attached. The space inside can always be used to carry other items, so it really doesn't waste space.

Here's Mors himself explaining why he likes the larger one:

...and I'll see you soon!
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/70TheProfessor?feature=mhee
    Illinois Slumdog #3

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 169 Posts

I have both and prefer the smaller one (with the bail attached). It still holds plenty of water and is more than functional plus it's more compact and lighter if you're actually backpacking. I use it for myself; if it I was using for two, I would opt for the bigger one...

ROCK6

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 397 Posts
    Items for Sale

I tend to agree with TheProfessor and I have a great deal of respect for Mors. Honestly, who can argue with Mors?

I have the Zebra Billy 10CM, 12CM, and 14CM pots along with the 1.8 L Bushpot from Four Dogs and prefer the larger 14CM Zebra and 1.8 L Bushpot. They are a lot more useful especially for two folks rather than one. So you are set if someone wants to tag along or shows up as a guest unexpectedly.

I wish you the best on your decision.

Mark

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilt For This Useful Post:

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,207 Times in 4,170 Posts

A lot of it comes down to how you will use it... solo trip or with others? I have the 8 cup Mors Pot. My German Mess Kit has an approximately 7 cup capacity. The internet says 1.7 liters (there are 3 markings on the side, each of which represents 500 ml, or about 2 cups, with a little room left on top). I do mostly solo trips, with occasional company (my daughter). I like them both, though i'm coming to prefer the german mess kit due to its more streamlined kidney-shape. I have plenty of water for rehydrating a meal, making drinks, and washing up afterwards. If I went smaller, i'd have to refill it. I have a .7 liter (iirc) MSR Titan Kettle that is light and compact, but too small. it is barely adequate for 1 person, though sometimes that's what you want. I also have a couple 5-cup "boilers", those old aluminum pots with a bail, handles, spot, and lid (like a coffee maker but without the glass knob on top), which are also good for solo trips... again, I find myself returning to the german mess kit with it's larger capacity.

So, all that said, my recommendation is the 8 cup Mors Pot. but you have to decide for yourself what you need, based on how you camp/cook.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I like the larger Mors pot, especially in cold weather or when accompanied. When backpacking, I mostly rehydrate my meals, so it allows for the meal and plenty of warm drinks.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DirtNap For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 1,331 Posts

I have the smaller one, and have found that it works fine for solo trips. I only boil water, so cooking in it isnt something I take into consideration. But, the small one, can boil enough water for dinner, and a cup of tea/coffee. I also installed the bail handle-silly not to
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldsoldier For This Useful Post:

Dr. Fishguts Bush Class Basic Certified kgd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 451 Posts

It all really depends on what your water needs are. If you are boiling water for drinking water purposes, then go with the larger version. I also find a larger pot better for melting snow in the winter - although 2 L is still really too small and you will be constant refilling with snow - better to get a dedicated 4 L pot for snow melting.

Alternatively, if your pot is primarily for boiling water for hot beverages and cooking purposes - the smaller pot is far easier to pack and serves your needs well. It can double duty at processing water for drinking use, but I find that at just over 1 L that serves either a drinking water fill up or cooking needs but not both. In summer, I like to bring a water filter along for drinking water, so the pot is mostly used for cooking/food prep. Thus, I prefer the smaller one. I never bothered to install the bail on mine. I like it just as well without a bail.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kgd For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,195 Posts

My larger cook set is a a set of English billys, 3 qt., 2 qt. and 1 qt. I replaced the 1 qt. with a small Mors pot with bail, percolator innards and lid. (The smaller pot is used as a small cook set for solo use.) I like that little pot and will probably get the larger one, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast