Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shotgun help

Scout
    Thanks

Default shotgun help

I have been looking for a shotgun for awhile now and the different choices are starting to all blur together.

I thought I could tell you what I want and maybe you have an idea I have not looked at yet.

Ideally:
    12 g. w/3.5" ability
    semi auto (if I can afford it)
    either a "combo" set up or have aftermarket/factory barrels...want duck barrel, short defense barrel, and rifled slug barrel w/cantilever for scope.
    have mag tube extensions available.

A pump action with the above would be second pick.

A gun like the Winchester SXP camp/field combo looks good...but lacks a rifled cantilever barrel. My experience with Win guns is getting extra barrels is pretty tough...I don't know if they have a rifled barrel available. Also I would like tube extensions for it when placed in the defense role, not sure if they are available.

The Mossberg 835 ulti-mag combo looks good, but lacks the "defense" barrel.

So, can anyone help? One gun, 3 barrels available ?

If I could find barrels to fit my 1300 defender...a duck and a scoped rifled kind I'd be set, but I don't think they make them all...and the price would be about that of a new gun anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 532 Posts

have ya looked at the mossy 500, tons of barrells out there for it, pump and if i recall only 3in shells... its worth a look at

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,247 Times in 1,525 Posts

I use an 835 but slugs are out with the over bored barrel. Have to get a rifled slug barrel(Walmart.com). There are options for 835 defense barrels too(Mossberg part #12946 835 12 ga 18 1/2" Cylinder Bore w/bead sight, blue finish $100.00.) If I was just getting one shotgun to fill all roles it would be the 835.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tennecedar For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified

Thanks
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 749 Posts

Pump gun , but check out the Remington 887...

Regards,

ezra

Thanks
    Thanked 30,859 Times in 8,906 Posts

Unless you plan on a lot of duck and goose hunting, the 3.5 inch chamber is wasted money. It is really only useful for the large payload with non toxic shot that is preferred for long range migratory bird hunting. A standard 3 inch chamber is more than sufficient for everything else.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are good pumps, if you want versatility. There are some cheaper, or should I say inexpensive, shotguns on the market. Mossberg makes the Maverick 88 and many of the aftermarket parts can be used. Savage makes a 530 and 520 that you may also be interested in. However, if you look around, you can sometimes find deals. My father-in-law told me a few days ago that he sold his pump and picked up a semi for $350. I am not sure of the model but it was a Winchester. I haven't seen a $350 semi-shotgun in years.

Best thing to do it narrow it down to a few choices and then see what deals you can find at a local gun show (if that is possible). Dealers at gun shows tend to haggle and drastically lower their prices around the close of the second day. They don't want to pack all of those guns back up. Hope this helps.

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 1,453 Posts

Your best bet is going to be a Mossberg Pump... You can find all the extras and not spend a ton of money... Also, a pump will shoot all day long... A auto could have issues...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Unless you plan on a lot of duck and goose hunting, the 3.5 inch chamber is wasted money. It is really only useful for the large payload with non toxic shot that is preferred for long range migratory bird hunting. A standard 3 inch chamber is more than sufficient for everything else.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.
    Agreed....3-1/2 made to carry a heavy load of steel or God forbid, heavy shot....nothing will wake ya up like touching off 3-1/2 # 4 heavy shot, straight up on a passing duck.....and most 2 and 3rd shots are mostly expensive noise anyway.....

I load my 870 with 2... 2-3/4's" or 3"....the follow it up with a 3-1/2 heavy....but rarely touch it off.....

Mossberg some models are hard to put magazine extensions, Remington much easier 870/1100....barrels are $160 bucks up.

Can't tell ya about Win or Benelli.....don't own any.....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter63 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My opinion agrees with some previous posters that the 3.5 is overkill for most situations unless you're going really specialized. I didn't look much at semi autos when shopping for my own shotty recently due to budget constraints (my wife), but I found the Rem 870 and the Mossy 500 both have a plethora of aftermarket barrels avalable. They both have 3.5 variants of these designs available although the availability and selection of barrels are a little bit slimmer. I went with a basic 870 in a field configuation, then added an HD barrel, and will consider the rifled deer barrel (although tbh a foster slug in a smooth field barrel is just fine for deer at the kind of ranges some denser woods will allow).

Side note, the Mossy aftermarket barrels seem to be less expensive than the rem barrels, but the Remington was more highly recommended to me by family, friends, and local gun shop employees. Ymmv.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulyDanyl For This Useful Post:

Tracker Bush Class Basic Certified BManHunts's Avatar
    Thanks

Like others have said, the 870 is a great gun. I have one (chambered for 2 3/4 in.) and there are tons of barrels out there. I have an 18.5" smooth bore barrel, a 24" rifled deer barrel, and a 30" trap/bird hunting barrel. I also purchased an 887 two years ago. It is covered in a plastic that helps to keep down corrosion. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting at salt marshes, so it helps a little. The 887 is chambered for 3 1/2 shells, but it is a bit of overkill. The barrels aren't as easy to come by for the 887, but I think they make a waterfowl/turkey combo. It also comes in camo or black. I've had the 870 for 22 years, and it was my father's before that. Awesome gun. The 887 sometimes doesn't lock closed, unless I really push it forward hard. Hope this helps.

-BMH
    Last edited by BManHunts; 03-31-2013 at 03:46 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BManHunts For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast