Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mora of Axes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 520 Posts

personally i like the older vintage tools pick up the heads cheap slap a handle in them and go. my mora would be a old vintage no name on a 20" haft it takes a wicked edge and holds it pretty well I think i picked it up here for about $15 shipped. I also have a no name boys axe on a 28" haft that comes along if I'm on a multi day outing got it in a box of heads at a yard sale I think there were 9 heads in the box $20 for the lot put a handle in here and she is a user. bonus for hafting a head is you will know how to do it if you need to in the future. If you are asking what us po boys do that's my route.
    JMHO

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkXstar For This Useful Post:

L.V

Thanks
    Thanked 5,244 Times in 2,333 Posts

my only hatchet is a no-name hecho-in-mexico i got at a hardware store for $15-$19. grain in handle is very good. i got it specifically to chop through two smallish pine roots in a little french drain i was building - before i discovered bushcraftusa. it took care of the roots - barely. then i sharpened it to bushcraftusa standards. it's a good little axe for the light use i make of it. i have used an estwing camp axe owned by one of my sons. that is a fine tool, especially considering price, and probably all i'd ever need. i'd call it a "mora."

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1Olddog View Post
    My fiskar with mods. I carved a plug for the open end out of Cedar and use the handle to store a small file with a leather wrap. The leather keeps it from rattling and is used as a grip/guard for the file.Attachment 78503Attachment 78504Attachment 78505
    That is really cool, and I love the way you attached the sheath to the file, simple and effective

Thanks
    Thanked 5,244 Times in 2,333 Posts

yeah, olddog, that is an excellent mod ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 581 Posts

In my opinion, Mora means good quality and inexpensive combined. So basically any axe that has good quality without costing a bunch would fill the bill. I don't own one but one I see mentioned a lot (not really an axe) is the Cold Steel Trailhawk. Others are the Condor line of axes and hatchets. Shop around, read the reviews and decide whats best for you and your budget.

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,735 Times in 6,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
    Get a hatchet any hatchet learn how to use it dont worry about a bunch of specs and whats popular its not a religion its a hunk of steel use to accomplish a task our hands are not made to do. Ive seen some world class Woodsmen do some incredible things with Axes Hatchets Knives and Ive asked a few hey what ya swingin there and have got oh hell I dont know this old thing has been around here forever... not a bunch of specs weights and measures and swing arks and angles

Theres a old saying "this is a Great Ax its had 4 heads and 6 handles"

Get the best you can afford if thats a China coleman or just a head at a flea market get sticked up and get to work.If you get a job where you need one they should get you what you need they will own it but you can say you make a living with it you have the bread to get your own and you will relize it aint a light saber and you make it do what needs to be done easy way or hard way you will figure it out or get over the whole romance and buy those little bundles of crapy wood at the sack'n pack

The one thing I found there is no short cuts to Ax Swingin as far as form and safety and I swung some pretty messed up warped chiped and dinged nightmares, thats what I had and made em safe(Soaked the head in water and wedged em with pennys to keep em tight... there I said it! lol) and made em work and there is no name stamped on it that will make it better than the next thats what you do

I have broke fiskar,Gerber and have seen them fail ( During Survival Training) That dont mean they suck it just means I cant afford the risk.

I have aquired some nice ones over the years but I cut my teeth with Less than desirable tools....many days as a Kid I walked to the woods with the Scout manual in the San Bernardinos made memories lots of chips and chunks in what ever I wanted (Responsably if you are concerned of my Woods ethics) made a little dough dumping snags and chopping wood save up and bought a Estwing Hatchet and My Bros Estwing Hudson Bay... every one up there had one(Ax or Hatchet) by the wood pile or masked in a log I cant remember ever looking at one Maker mark.I Do remeber Hess sayn dont ever touch that Ax though.
    Thats all I got I hope it helps I have not seen alot of thanks from you but alot of questions and dont expect one here But I really hope that helps you get out swinging and Learning what that tool can do...

Again the quote so well used many time here "it aint the Arrow...well you know.

I now use a improvised double bit hawk made from a edger blade 550 and a Ash Juniper handle I made in The SERE Fire circle around the House for kindling and limbing.Its is a abomonation but I Make it work

Look at some of the Axe Mob Guys, Bush Class the videos of folks useing Ax And Hatchets and make dub piece of steel sing
    Great post and insightfull advice bro.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,735 Times in 6,521 Posts

Whenever I get asked about axes, my advice is to buy an old head in the 2-2.5 range and sharpen it and haft it. This will give you important axemenship skills. With the head and haft, you will come in low cost and have a serviceable axe that will last ya forever if ya take care of it. Then make or improvise a mask for it to keep the edge protected and for safety.

If the work isnt your cup o tea, id say you prolly arent meant to have an axe, or maybe you dont have the space to work on one. In that case, id watch the exchange on here. A ton of sweet axes pass through there.

Anyways, the mora of axes? To me means a low cost option that works well. Id go vintage, but if it HAS to be new and mass produced, Council tool boys axe.

The fiskars and Gerber ones are OK, but I prefer an axe that is serviceable, and not a throwaway.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Joash's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 485 Posts

What I will do is try other people's axes until I get a feel for what I need.

Scout
    Thanks

I'd have to go with what J. Said above. Find an old head, learn how to fix it up and rehandle it.
    The tools needed to do it by hand are minimal. Mostly time and elbow grease. Not only will you gain valuable skills, but have the satisfaction of knowing you took something old and abandoned and transformed it into something new and useful.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MWalker For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Joash's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 485 Posts

On the to do list. Great project idea. I'm not in a rush since an axe is about the farthest thing from my everyday life at the moment.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast