Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Configurations with Tentsmiths oilskin trail tarp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Foreman View Post
    thanks for the photos ...
    Not a problem my man. I enjoy sharing here with you guys.

Tracker
    Thanks

Great stuff by very nice folks.... Just take care with fire as that oiled cotton will burn right up. They make a open front trade shirt, and i burned mine reaching over a fire. The missing corner is not a problem and it is a good reminder to not be reaching over a fire too.

In cold if you wear that coat over say 2 wool trade shirts you will stay warm but will need to wear it inside out and back as normal every so often. Sweating in it will make you wet. So placing the wet side out a while will dry that and you may stay dry too ..

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
    Great stuff by very nice folks.... Just take care with fire as that oiled cotton will burn right up. They make a open front trade shirt, and i burned mine reaching over a fire. The missing corner is not a problem and it is a good reminder to not be reaching over a fire too.

In cold if you wear that coat over say 2 wool trade shirts you will stay warm but will need to wear it inside out and back as normal every so often. Sweating in it will make you wet. So placing the wet side out a while will dry that and you may stay dry too ..
    Right on man! Thanks for the advice. My plan is to wear it as needed over a wool blanket shirt next winter. For the rest of this year probably will be it and a t-shirt in rainy weather. The open front watch coat would work even better in assisting in a shelter as I demonstrated in the thread.

Tracker
    Thanks

I liked your pictures but prefer the diamond set to all others. I do that a few different ways. Sometimes I cross sticks at the open end, other times I run a line inside and drape the cover over that, still in a diamond, and another way if it is already raining i set a stick i pad with a hat (tuke / liberty /stocking cap with a flap) 1/3rd back as the peak .

My tentsmith tarps are canvass and not oiled and so they won't pack as small by any means but you can be closer to a fire.

The cold i am talking about it ice in the bucket weather, like in October on Lake George NY.

With a diamond set low end to the wind you can keep the watch coat to wear.

Oh I meant to mention with that oiled cotton you can rub it out with a round and river smooth rock if it gets sticky from too much sun.

Is 'IN' the state where you are or something else?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes I'm from Indiana bro. I also use the diamond allot mainly because it sets up so quickly and easily. The lean and pup tent provide good cover and comfort for me depending on weather. I wanted to set up several different configurations today so when I'm hoofing it into the backcountry its not a first for me with that piece of equipment. The configuration that I use is ALWAYS dependent on the weather conditions.
    Last edited by Wood PF; 04-28-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Tracker
    Thanks

In Spring 2006 I attended the South Eastern Primitive Ron dee Voo in Bledso State Park Tn.

The longer story is my wife and i crossed the USA on a motorcycle from NH to Cal, Cal to Fla, made a wrong turn out of Fla and ended up in Ok, hit winter and bought a van (rolling bed room) and a big trailer for the bike, and it's little trailer.

Ended up in the right place at the right time for Voo...... Except a tornado took that place apart stick for stick and canvass for canvass, and in the end there were 2 tipis standing and one diamond tarp. I suspect that tarp was a tentsmith's, but don't know that as fact.

I was in the tin tipi at the time... Which set makes all the difference. Even then because the guy 'RAM' set his diamond low made it so he could take that hit and wasn't even damp to speak of.

he was right up and out after it was safe to help other people gather up their things and do as they wished.... I'ld like to say pleased but no one was very pleased.

A lot of lodges were wrecked.....

In the crossing of the USA I hit up on the Hopewell Mounds area, and for my troubles i got into the chiggars for the first and i hope last time in my life.

Do take care

Oh! take note on how bugs react to the oiled cotton....... I don't know how that will work out in this case.

Once I made a Mark Baker recipe oil skin of a painters drop cloth with BLO baking soda to reduce acid in the BLO and iron oxide in a burnt sepia tone.

Then after it was dry to the touch and had been used in a few camps I ended up in the Umbagog

Umbagog Lake NH/Me border lake in heavy black fly season with my modern brother and his friend.

The bugs ate them alive, bending the bars of the screen of that tent, and left me in peace.

I still don't understand it. I had a fire at a safer distance from the oil cloth, and was wearing deer leggings and a split elk shirt, some rag in my hair and mocs on my feet.

I had been there before in the heart of bug season, and that time was forced to run an air cooled outboard on a tree limb up wind of my modern tent all night.
    Last edited by Flinter; 04-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I hear ya Flinter. The setups I demonstrated were all waist level or lower and that's for the most part how I use tarp shelter. The pup tent style was very low and I am becoming partial to that setup for ground sleeping.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wood PF For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Will you also post pics of other sets? I like seeing what younger guys come up with, and gauge it to what old gray beards know.

Sometimes you younger guys surprise me. The older you get, the heavier everything is....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
    Will you also post pics of other sets? I like seeing what younger guys come up with, and gauge it to what old gray beards know.

Sometimes you younger guys surprise me. The older you get, the heavier everything is....
    Olds

This was a precursor to future use as I mentioned in the OP it will be going on some treks with me which I will be taking photos of for this forum as well as some other reviewing. Hope you enjoy it there old guy.
    Last edited by Wood PF; 04-29-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

I wish somebody at Tentsmiths would answer the phone so I could get an order in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast