Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swamp Rat Rodent 6

Thanks
    Thanked 3,937 Times in 855 Posts

Default Swamp Rat Rodent 6

A search resulted in nil for this, so does anyone own or know anything of the Swamp Rat Rodent 6 or the Ratmandu(I believe it's called)? I was checking them out and they look awesome. Am actually thinking of selling(or trading) my TOPS Tracker and a bunch others(need the cash) and may pick up one if there is any $$$ left over but before I do I kinda want to know the good the bad and the ugly? If there is any...Thanks!
    Last edited by Rider; 04-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No experience with the Rodent 6... but I do own a RatManDu...

Great knife Freaking amazing knife... Tough as nails, most comfortable handle shape I have used. Micarta scales are machined with grooves in them for a no slip grip.. would be the one knife I would trust my life to... If I had to choose.

SR101 (52100 ball bearing steel with an extensive proprietary heat treat) gets RAZOR sharp very easily, and is tough.. I am not a Busse fan boy, but they got a lot right with this knife...

For bushcrafty tasks... it is kinda meh... The steel rusts easily if neglected in any way, the spine of the knife isn't sharp for striking a fire steel, and the drop point (clip point?) makes drilling a bow drill divot not as easy as a spear point would....Oh... and it looks tacticool...

I guess it depends on what you want it for...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niceguyedy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Kinda as a tactical and woods knife both...Its sorta like this:

I LOOOOVE my ESEE 6. The blade shape, the overall style, everything. I just want something that is a bit better steel and is a bit more of a higher end knife and maybe something a bit heavier. The Rodent 6 looks about perfect for what I had in mind(not to mention I love the look of the SwampRat handles) with the Ratmandu coming in a close second....

Every woodsknife I've found sucks as tactical, and every tactical knife I found sucks as a woodsknife. Except for the ESEE 6, so that's why I want to keep in that basic form...

Honestly, as it stands now...I'd probably still take my ESEE over the TBT, even though I really, really love the Tracker...The ESEE/That style is just my first love sorta thing.

BTW, I don't mean or want for this to turn into a, "Tracker vs Another Model" thread. The Tracker kicks major arse for sure...
    Last edited by Rider; 04-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLRider View Post
    Kinda as a tactical and woods knife both...Its sorta like this:

I LOOOOVE my ESEE 6.

Honestly, as it stands now...I'd probably still take my ESEE over the TBT, even though I really, really love the Tracker...The ESEE/That style is just my first love sorta thing.
    One more thing since you have an ESEE 6 (another knife I have experience with)...

ESEE handle scales are what I would consider "blocky" or "chunky" my ratmandu is a lot thinner thicknesswise.. so much that some people whom are used to ESEE's don't like how much their fingers curl around the Ratmandu... I now prefer the ratmandu handle and sold all my ESEE's (a 4, a 5 and a 6)...
    I can't speak to a rodent 6, as I only own a Ratmandu and a Rodent 9...

Here is a BCUSA thread on ESEE 6 vs ratmandu http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...mandu-opinions

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niceguyedy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awesome! Thanks

Also, is there a better place to buy a Swamp Rat knife other than directly from the company? Also....Any sheath recommendations?
    Last edited by Rider; 04-30-2013 at 02:12 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLRider View Post
    Awesome! Thanks

Also, is there a better place to buy a Swamp Rat knife other than directly from the company? Also....Any sheath recommendations?
    Nope... there is only one primary source: http://shop.swampratknives.com/

They sometimes come up on Bladeforums: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...nives-For-Sale

Or you can email the Busse custom shop, and order it with custom features (like a tanto style, swedge grind, bowie variant, etc..): Swamp Rat Customer Service <ratcustomerservice@toast.net>

I had thought about ordering a Ratmandu with a spearpoint, squared off spine, out of 154CM stainless from the custom shop... though I doubt they would do that...

Good luck..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niceguyedy For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

In my humble opinion, the RMD is a great general camp knife. Great ergos and steel, it will rust if not cared for but keeps a great edge. I like the Rodent 6 a lot although the 1/4" thickness is a bit overkill for me, it still feels great in the hand. I wasn't into the way the top of the hand guard is shaped as it comes so I had Swamp Rat grind it down for me (extra $ of course). So, really this Rodent 6 is more or less a RMD magnum which works pretty good for me.

Rodent 6, RMD and a HRLM on the bottom

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Treehorn For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

R6 with an ESEE (RC6). Just because more pictures of knives is always good.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Treehorn For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks

I don't have any experience with the two knives about which you've asked advice, but I'm intrigued by your experience with the ESEE 6. You say you love the knife but you're looking for a knife with better steel. Having just purchased an ESEE 6, I'm curious if you've been disappointed with the performance of the steel in the (less expensive) knife? I was surprised to see that the ESSE 6 blade is ground much thinner than my ESSE Laser Strike. Didn't expect that. On the plus side, it certainly makes the 6 easier to sharpen. (I've convexed both ESEEs). Haven't yet had the chance to give the 6 any significant play time. (Really like the Laser Strike, though!)

PC

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PeterCartwright For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I've been pretty hard on the above pictured ESEE 6 and the 3/16" thick 1095 has handled everything. While I think the RMD and the Rodent 6 feel better in hand, I don't think the SR-101 has performed any better then the 1095 at all.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treehorn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast