Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Puukko?

Thanks

Default Which Puukko?

I am currently trying to decide on what "puukko" style knife to buy. I have been eyeballing all of the ones on ragweed forge, but I am overwhelmed by the selection. I am looking for a blade around 4" in length.

If any of you have had experience with: Brusletto, Stromeng, Helle, Karesuando, EKA, Ahti, Jarvenpaa, Roselli, or wood jewel, or any of the "scandanavian"-made blades, please share
    Last edited by Slickrock; 06-30-2013 at 11:48 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickrock For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 1,929 Posts

Have a wood jewel and love it but check out pasi Hurtilla check with woodsplitter he has quite a few and is very very verse on Nordic and sammi culture

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rolandsilvajr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Give Kellam a look. They have a puukko style in their wolfpack line, which i have, as well as their other lines.
    Sharpen well, comfortable handle. Traditional lines on it.
    http://www.kellamknives.com/index.ph...dex&cPath=1_33
    Last edited by Particlem; 06-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Particlem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,476 Times in 9,254 Posts

Might look at this thread if you haven't already- <http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...ighlight=Leuku >

I have a Jarvenpaa puukko, as well as one of their Leuku blades. Very plain, but I like them. One of our member got a set of Wood Jewel blades that had been neglected, and refurbished them, made a nice set.

I also have a Stromeng Leuku, and the quality is very good.

Just a minor recommendation, look at the ones that can paired with a Leuku, even if you do not plan to do that right now.

And, BTW, Ragnar is good people to deal with, and will answer questions via email or on the phone, if you can catch him in.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 900 Posts

I've owned an used quite a few. So far my favorite is an Iisakki Jarvenpaa Aito. I just purchased my dream puukko/knife, a Pasi Hurttila Tuohisarvi. Expensive, but very high quality hand forged 510 silver steel.

I really think that the Tuohisarvi is going to give my current all time favorite, a 3V Skookum a run for it's money. I might just have to settle for all time favorite knife, and all time favorite puukko

Out of every handle material I've used, my absolute favorite is stacked birch bark. It is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend any outdoors man/knife user try it at least once.

Most common puukko's today are made with Lauri blades. The makers only make the handle and sheath.

Lauri blades are good working blades, but they are not very well finished. The grinds at the tip are almost always off by 1/4", and there are deep grinding marks on the bevel. The flats are coated with some sort of fine powder coating, probably to make it look hand forged.

If you can get past the off grinds and grind lines on the bevel, Lauri blades are pretty good. They hold a good edge and are very easy to sharpen.

Be aware though, Lauri blades always come with a slight micro-bevel. I always thin it out to a thin convex when I get one.

Remember, all true puukko from the past have a slightly convex edge. None are true zero Scandi. Having a thin convex on a scandi grind is a vast improvement to the knife.

The Tuohisarvi will be my first hand forged knife. Of course I've owned hand made blades in the past, but all were/are stock removal. Pasi forges hammer on anvil.

If you are looking for a good store to buy from, take a look at lamnia.fi . They are a vendor here under the name "Lamnia of Finland". They are a great store.

I have also had experience with a Stromeng leuku. It's the only Stromeng product I own, and it will probably be the last. The blade is far to hard, and micro-chips very easy. It's very hard to sharpen due to how hard the steel is.

I mean not to offend anyone, but the leuku puukko's with combo sheaths are not real work knives. They are made for tourists, as souvenirs, no for people who use their knives hard. Of course they use Lauri blades, but the handle construction is usually with a hollow brass bolster, instead of a solid brass plate. Not a very strong long lasting handle construction.

*Not my picture*

Tuohisarvi.

Aito. (Lauri blade).

Wood Jewel. (Lauri blade).

Last edited by Wood Splitter; 06-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wood Splitter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,476 Times in 9,254 Posts

Here is my Leuku / Puukko combination:

Note: Not a "combo sheath" set, I like the ability to carry either one, or both, as the need may be.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Youcantreadinthedark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 917 Posts

I've posted this link before, but check out

http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

for some truly amazing puukkos. It won't make picking one any easier, but I can promise it will be fun. -ycritd

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Youcantreadinthedark For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 1,929 Posts

I have a pasi Hurtilla coming in July and mp is making a Leuku similar to this but with curly birch at the end instead of leather

image-1405109032.jpg

image-3370597576.jpg

Similar to top picture with my mods

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rolandsilvajr For This Useful Post:

Indoor Outsider Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 814 Posts

I have a Jarvenpaa virtually identical to the Aito that Wood Splitter posted, same birch bark handle. I absolutely love it. My Dad and I have also put together knives with Helle blades, they make excellent knives also.

Looker
    God Bless America, and those who defend her.
    Anybody can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad.

BladeScrounger #14

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow thanks for the input everyone! I am considering buying a helle blade and making my own instead of shelling out a lot of money for those "fancy" ones, as much as I would like to have one haha.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slickrock For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast