Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: axe handles to what weight of heads?

  1. #1
    Guide copenhagen69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 671 Posts

    Default axe handles to what weight of heads?

    Well, I blame Larry but I have been consumed with axes after he sent me one. I was wondering since I put the wrong handle in the one he sent me.

    What handles go with weights of axe heads?

    lets say ....

    1-1.9 pound head
    2-2.9 pound head
    3-3.9 pound head
    4-4.9 pound head
    5-5.9 pound head

    What size handles should I be looking at for each on of those?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to copenhagen69 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wichita Falls TX
    Posts
    10,794
    Thanks
    12,019
    Thanked 19,272 Times in 5,486 Posts

    Default

    House handles has a good online catalog, it has dimensions on each item.
    They should have proper proportions out of the box.

    1.25-1.5 lb Hatchet, 12-16"
    2.25 lb Boy's Axe, 26-28"
    3.5 lb single bit 28"-36", 26"-30" if you have a fireplace axe meant for indoor work.
    3.5 lb double 28-36" straight
    3.5 plus, no clue.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Bushmaster Supporter Bax 40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    5,153
    Thanks
    11,803
    Thanked 13,539 Times in 2,992 Posts

    Default

    House can do most anything, I took the 6 pound Geezer whopper over there and they made one to fit it a 36 inch, it was too wide through the eye for any standard handle to fit.

    I have a 5.5 pounder on the way to me and may have to do it again.

    And I will gladly take the blame for getting you dreaming about axes, some even say I am a ENABLER what ever that is, I just don't know!
    House will send you a catalogue or assist you on the phone if you give em the eye measurement too.


    Larry
    Just my opinion, I COULD be wrong!!

    Turley #88 GEEZER

    AXE MOB

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bax 40 For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Yevoc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    S. Indiana
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 725 Posts

    Default

    I like 19" to 22" handles for all my 1.5# heads, and they work like a charm. Never was a fan of short handles! I don't have anything heavier than 4# jersey and I have a 31" handle in it. I'm weird I guess, I like longer handles in my small heads and shorter in my bigger heads.
    Last edited by Yevoc1; 07-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yevoc1 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wichita Falls TX
    Posts
    10,794
    Thanks
    12,019
    Thanked 19,272 Times in 5,486 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bax 40 View Post
    House can do most anything, I took the 6 pound Geezer whopper over there and they made one to fit it a 36 inch, it was too wide through the eye for any standard handle to fit.

    I have a 5.5 pounder on the way to me and may have to do it again.

    And I will gladly take the blame for getting you dreaming about axes, some even say I am a ENABLER what ever that is, I just don't know!
    House will send you a catalogue or assist you on the phone if you give em the eye measurement too.


    Larry
    Yeah... Shame on you Larry...

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Guide Supporter highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    Hey Ka-Bar is an enabler as well...LOL

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to highlander For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Guide Supporter highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 886 Posts

    Default

    Here's what I do...Its the Bob-method (being my name is Bob). From 1 -1.4 = 14-16" handle, 2-3.5= 28-30" handle, 3.5-4= 30-36" handle. Although, I have been looking for a 3 pound head to haft on a short handle for a camp axe. Sorta like Shnick's sweet fireplace axe that he posted a pic of.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highlander For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wichita Falls TX
    Posts
    10,794
    Thanks
    12,019
    Thanked 19,272 Times in 5,486 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Here's what I do...Its the Bob-method (being my name is Bob). From 1 -1.4 = 14-16" handle, 2-3.5= 28-30" handle, 3.5-4= 30-36" handle. Although, I have been looking for a 3 pound head to haft on a short handle for a camp axe. Sorta like Shnick's sweet fireplace axe that he posted a pic of.




    Thanks highlander...

  16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Guide copenhagen69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 671 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    House handles has a good online catalog, it has dimensions on each item.
    They should have proper proportions out of the box.

    1.25-1.5 lb Hatchet, 12-16"
    2.25 lb Boy's Axe, 26-28"
    3.5 lb single bit 28"-36", 26"-30" if you have a fireplace axe meant for indoor work.
    3.5 lb double 28-36" straight
    3.5 plus, no clue.
    Thanks Shnick! That seems like a legit way of handling it all (pun intended haha)


    Quote Originally Posted by Bax 40 View Post
    House can do most anything, I took the 6 pound Geezer whopper over there and they made one to fit it a 36 inch, it was too wide through the eye for any standard handle to fit.

    I have a 5.5 pounder on the way to me and may have to do it again.

    And I will gladly take the blame for getting you dreaming about axes, some even say I am a ENABLER what ever that is, I just don't know!
    House will send you a catalogue or assist you on the phone if you give em the eye measurement too.


    Larry

    Hmmm I guess I will contact HH about the bigger sizes and see what they can do. Just curious ... how much $$ would they charge for a custom? Their prices seem very reasonable on the website so I would assume they would stay reasonable for customs?





    Quote Originally Posted by Yevoc1 View Post
    I like 19" to 22" handles for all my 1.5# heads, and they work like a charm. Never was a fan of short handles! I don't have anything heavier than 4# jersey and I have a 31" handle in it. I'm weird I guess, I like longer handles in my small heads and shorter in my bigger heads.

    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Here's what I do...Its the Bob-method (being my name is Bob). From 1 -1.4 = 14-16" handle, 2-3.5= 28-30" handle, 3.5-4= 30-36" handle. Although, I have been looking for a 3 pound head to haft on a short handle for a camp axe. Sorta like Shnick's sweet fireplace axe that he posted a pic of.
    Haha, the Bob-method seems like a good one to me

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to copenhagen69 For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Scout Supporter Ole Abner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    469
    Thanks
    1,332
    Thanked 506 Times in 273 Posts

    Default

    Don't forget to measure the eye.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Abner For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •