Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of "Off Grid" magazine

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Review of "Off Grid" magazine

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but prepping, survival, etc. now has it's own magazine. It's called "Off Grid" and it's published by the makers of the "Recoil" gun mag. Basically making this thread to see who's seen this magazine and what the general consensus is.

My review:

First off,
    Price Retail price for the mag is $8.99. Seemed a bit steep to me, but after reading "Recoil" its parent mag and really enjoying its style figured I'd give it a go. Not sure as to how often they tend to publish it given its new nature, but the first mag is listed to display until 9/17/13. Looks like it could be a seasonal publication.

Quality Like it's parent magazine Recoil, I LOVE the feel of this magazine. Most gun/outdoor/etc. mags are printed on cheap feeling, thin paper. This has a thick, textured cover and filled with high-quality photos. Helps explain some of the cost. The magazine just feels good in the hand.

Content The debut mag states plainly in the intro that it intends to start basic and go more in-depth on subjects as its reader base becomes more familiar with prepping concepts. Content of the first issue include: First-aid kits, Blow-out kits (first aid kits for gunshots, major trauma, etc.), water purification, multitool reviews, MRE/long-term foods taste-tests, prepping for power loss, selecting a BOB bag with reviews, ham radios, basic firearm selection, etc. The articles start basic, I'll admit, so I'm waiting to see which direction they take it as they step up in complexity. Overall, I good intro into prepping for someone new to the topic. It will seem simple to most preppers, but I picked up a few useless tips from it. For instance, I never actually though about rigging up a small water distillation set-up for camping/hiking/travel.

Depth/amount Was a touch disappointed the debut issue was only 130 pages, especially for $9. With that said, while I do believe it was overpriced, I'm interested to see what direction the mag will go in and will definitely follow it. It takes on more of an urban approach to prepping, and while a rural guy myself, I found I picked up a few good pointers and had an enjoyable read to boot. My favorite part is seeing pics and reviews of new gear I may not have otherwise noticed. Being a bit of a gear #####/hoarder it naturally appealed to me lol

Thanks

I too am a reader of Recoil, and was curious. I liked the mag, I thought they did a good job of 'glancing' off some good topics without much depth, and had some very good info. Like recoil, they tend to lean towards the more expensive side of doing things, not much on the cost effective approach, but its early. I'll keep my eye out for a second round.

KP

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPEx4 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

me and the Mrs were shopping last night and I picked this issue up. i was going to read it this weekend.

Thanks

It seems like a great read, but I just can't justify $9 for a magazine when everything is online. Maybe if there's a subscription special I'll try it out.

Bushmaster Supporter Mtnfolk Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,077 Posts

sounds like an interesting mag, even though i am not much of a gun guy, i like Recoil magazine.. i think it's very well done and put together.. I will look around and see if i can find a copy of this one..

Thanks

Thank you for posting this review. I will have to check it out. I also wanted to add that it is interesting that they titled it "Off Grid". While Off Grid can refer to prepping and survivalism it does not always. I have many many friends that view living off grid about sustainability and in some cases spirituality. They are not survivalists in any sense, though their way life may help them survive. Eco friendly off grid living is one thing. Living "Off Grid" from a survival stand point is another. My curiosity is peaked. Can't wait to check it out. Perhaps the price is so high because more and more magazines are going on line? so print magazines are going up in price.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POPEx4 View Post
    I too am a reader of Recoil, and was curious. I liked the mag, I thought they did a good job of 'glancing' off some good topics without much depth, and had some very good info. Like recoil, they tend to lean towards the more expensive side of doing things, not much on the cost effective approach, but its early. I'll keep my eye out for a second round.

KP
    Isn't that the truth! They definitely go about it an expensive way. While I want to pretend I don't like it secretly I do lol, I'm always on the hunt for cool new gadgets and gear.

Magog, it's definitely an entertaining read. I'm a big reader anyway, but when I got home I read the entire thing cover to cover in one sitting.

But yeah, the internet is definitely putting the squeeze on printed publications. Add to that increased production costs, increased price for transport, etc, and we arrive at $8-10 dollar magazines. While I don't like paying the price, at the end of the day at least I can have something I can hold. My big reluctance to ebooks, ezines, etc. is that I'm still paying money, albeit a small discount, for a file that took little to no work to make, then I don't even physically have something. Ebooks are handy, but I love the feel of paper.

The mag is actually fairly high quality too (adding to the expense), which honestly is a good thing. If you're trying to promote prepping, something most common people find strange, printing it on cheap paper honestly just casts the subject in a poor light, the nicer you dress something up the better it's received....gives it more class. Take Backwoodsman for instance, great mag, but it just looks and feels cheap, and that quality reflects on the hobby/lifestyle. Let's put it this way, you'll never find a copy of Robb Report printed on newsprint (it's a magazine that basically caters to rich folk for anyone unfamiliar)

Thanks

Very good lay out...the texture of the paper feels " Outdoor Gritty "..great mag for people with a large disposable income...lol

Thanks

I bought it haven't read it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

I get Backwoodsman, Backwoods Home, among others. I love Backwoodsman for the nolstalga but do find Backwoods Home a bit pricey (in Canada) but all my magazines are either bi-monthly or quarterly so I justify the cost by looking at it on a per month basis which cuts the cost down to half or third per month.

I'll see if I can find Off Grid here and check it out.
    Canadian SHTF song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uASQgLwaIs
    BushCRAFT...it is what you do, not what you carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast