Thread: Shefflers Rock Shop and geode mines

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified buroak's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Shefflers Rock Shop and geode mines

Several years ago I visited Shefflers Rock Shop and geode mine at Alexandria, MO. It was a real treat talking to Mrs. Sheffler in her house. It was truly a geode museum. She could tell you anything you ever wanted to know about geodes. I found several nice geodes in her mine. My oldest grandson wants to go geode hunting so I immediately thought of Shefflers. However, I have heard the highway dept. took the rock shop and built a highway where it stood. Does anyone know if the mines are still open? I would like to have information about them if they are. I also understand geodes are found in the Keokuk, IA area and the Bedford, IN area. Can anyone give me some information about places to hunt geodes in any of these areas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to buroak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,488 Times in 8,827 Posts

Geodes are absolutely fascinating. A small crystalline cavern world, complete within its shell. I got a couple of them as a child, from a rock shop, and spent hours looking at and into them.

Sorry I can't help with any site locations.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The way we used to find them was to hike dry stream beds in the hills where limestone is the bedrock such as southern IL, IN, MO and northern KY. Take a staff and poke around at the stones in the stream bed. Geodes tend to wash out of the soil from hillsides and roll downhill so stream beds are collecting points. They won't look like much except for a round lumpy exterior anywhere from golfball size up to basketball. Check the regs for federal land and state parks, you might need to hike private land to find them but get permission of course. If you find really good ones you may have something of value if it has nice amethyst inside. After a summer of heavy rains you never know what was washed out and waiting for you to trip over it. Be careful of the snakes, prime habitat for them and another reason to wait for cool autumn weather.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TWill For This Useful Post:

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,929 Times in 3,641 Posts

I use to live 30 minuets from Keouk. Not sure where to get them but they seemed readily available in shops. There is even a Geode Lake in Iowa.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Panzer For This Useful Post: