Thread: Lapin Puukko Outdoor Knife 145 - modification

Tactical Hipster Supporter Sandcut's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 1,454 Posts

Default Lapin Puukko Outdoor Knife 145 - modification

Let me preface this by saying that this thread is NOT a "review." It is merely an unboxing, some initial thoughts on the knife and some photos to show off what I thought was a pretty successful modification.

Whew!

With that out of the way...I have been jonesing for this knife ever since brother bmatt posted his quick review of his knife here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...t=lapin+puukko As such, I treated myself to a little retail therapy and bought one. I was actually looking for something much smaller, but I made myself a promise that the next time Ragnar had one in stock, I would buy it. Fortunately, last week his site showed that they were in stock. So, I bought one.

Here's a pic of what it looks like new.

Here's a pic comparing it in size to a Mora #1.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." - Nordic proverb

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandcut For This Useful Post:

Thanks

initial thoughts

Having owned three other Lapin Puukko blades, I was expecting this to be a well made blade. And it is. This one, however, wasn't user ready right from the box. The edge wasn't really a scandi grind and it didn't exactly have a secondary bevel. It was more like they gave it most of a scandi grind, but left it a little thick in case you wanted a small convex grind on it. The edge looked more like they just ground off any irregular edges, though. This I've been slowly sharpening down to a scandi edge on a diamond stone. I'm getting close, but it's a slow process if you don't want to bugger it up.

Also, this is a pretty big knife and the handle was, in my opinion, very thick. This would be a nice sized knife for guys with larger hands. For me, it was just too thick. So I broke out the 60 grit sand paper and commenced to thin out the handle a bit. Since the handle was pretty much bare at this point, I got the bright idea to decorate the handle. So I broke out the pryography tool, laid out a pattern and spent last night burning. The pattern isn't my idea. It's an amalgam of different designs that I've seen on this site between knife and tomahawk handles. It turns out, I didn't screw it up too badly. I'm pretty pleased with it. I finished it off w/ BLO and covered with Sno Seal.

I have to admit, I really hate the feeling that you get the moment that you commit to starting a mod on something this nice. I always get a feeling of dread at the beginning. So far, I've been pretty lucky and haven't totally ruined whatever it is I was modifying. (knock on wood!)

Glory shot.

Close up

Last edited by Sandcut; 07-28-2013 at 09:44 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandcut For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More gratuitous shots.

Obverse side

reverse side

Last edited by Sandcut; 07-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandcut For This Useful Post:

Wilderness chaperone Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,733 Times in 1,041 Posts

I bought the #2 lapin puukko and I really like it so far seems to be a well made knife

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jnsbinford For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For anyone else considering to purchase this knife, here's some shots, from various angles, comparing it to other scandi-style knives for reference.

From top down

Stromeng 8" Leuku
    Lapin Puukko Outdoor Knife 145
    Iisakki Jarvenpaa puukko (#5218 at Ragweed Forge)
    Lapin Puukko Leukupuukko 2

Close up of handle size to judge thickness.

Last edited by Sandcut; 07-28-2013 at 10:14 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandcut For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Photo comparing blade lengths and thicknesses

One last shot throwing in a Mora again for comparison (since that is probably the knife most folks are familiar with)

That's all that I have for the evening. I can't tell you how well the knife performs yet, 'cuz I haven't used it. The handle is much more comfortable, however. I was a little disgruntled initially needing to put this much effort into a new knfe, but in retrospect, if it hadn't needed the work, it would have looked just like any other factory-made leuku. Now, it's a one-of-a-kind Sandcut quasi-original. I don't doubt that it will perform well. The other three Lapin Puukko knives that I've had have all been fantastic! Great users, great steel and all very comfortable to use. I can't wait to try out this new one.

Just thought I'd share. I hope you enjoyed the pics (even if the phone doesn't take very good pics.)
    Last edited by Sandcut; 07-28-2013 at 10:06 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandcut For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jnsbinford View Post
    I bought the #2 lapin puukko and I really like it so far seems to be a well made knife
    If it's the same one as the smaller Lapin Puukko below, yes, it's a great knife. They take a much better edge and hold it much longer than a Mora, IMHO.

I was originally looking at the Outdoor Knife 90, as I wanted a shorter blade. But, a pact is a pact. Besides, Ragnar seems to have a steady supply of the 90s/Military knife. He's been out of the 145 for a fairly long time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandcut For This Useful Post: