Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Gear pack...it doesn't get much better for a bushcraft / hunting pack

Softwoodsman Vendor badger claw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,711 Times in 1,939 Posts

Default Bison Gear pack...it doesn't get much better for a bushcraft / hunting pack

Bison Gear "First Trip Explorer"

Part 1: Initial impressions.

Received my Bison Gear pack today and right out of the box I was impressed. I will start by saying after going over every inch of this setup I'm convinced its far and above the best Bushcraft and hunting pack i have ever seen.

Croatoan has talked many times and reviewed his Bison Gear as well which is where i learned of them. Talked directly with Angelo the owner of the company and what a great guy. Placed my order and 3 days later here it is as promised.

This one is in natural hemp which Angelo "antiqued" with a coffee and wine mixture. The webbing is green and all the buckles and snaps in black. Overall the construction is bullet proof. The materials are all heavy duty and well stitched. For the complete specs click here: http://www.bisongearonline.com/page/page/2957669.htm

So lets get on with the pictures!

The hemp material may look dirty but its not...thats the coffee antiquing.

The shoulder and hip padding is very generous and comfortable.

The left hip has a zipper pocket...big zippers with nylon pull attached easy to manipulate with gloves on.

The right side on a normal model would have another pouch but this one has these two webbing pieces with snaps. Angelo had originally made this one for himself and wanted a place to put a knife sheath, gun holster or similar on the hip. The snaps are directional...they only pull off one way so they are very secure.

continued...
    register today at www.badgerclawleatherworks.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badge...3713721?ref=hl

Follow me on Instagram @badger_claw_leather

Thanks

The two side pockets have ample space for a large water bottles with room to spare.

They are also modular and can be detached.

4 loops of adjustable webbing allow the whole pack to be strapped to a frame.

Under the top lid is a zipper pocket.

Plenty of room for gear in the top compartment along with the expandable "game bag"
    Last edited by badger claw; 07-31-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks

With the game bag expanded. This adds a ton of capacity to the pack.

The tabs allow you to attach the top of the game bag to your shoulder straps. Genius of an idea!

Bottom compartment
    DSC_0122-9.jpg

Two organizer pockets in the bottom, one with a zipper.

Last edited by badger claw; 07-31-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks

Angelo also threw in this binocular bag that attached to the front of the suspension system

Its spacious enough for a large pair of binos, hand gun, navigation equipment, snacks...limitless possibilities. A second little pocket is also location inside.

The bino bag attaches at 4 anchor points

I am VERY happy with this pack so far. Part 2 of my review will be once its loaded and how much gear I can stash inside. I will be packing it up for our 3 day Texas BCUSA gathering this weekend. But i can tell you right now I'm gonna love this pack. Angelo has a few other of his packs in stock otherwise they are made to order and more importantly...100% MADE IN THE USA!!

Thanks for looking!! Stay tuned!!
    Last edited by badger claw; 07-31-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,860 Times in 2,494 Posts

Wow their boonie hats are cheap!!!
    Troll Hunter

I like my women like I like my Chaga Tea... with a little fireball in em

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.LCV For This Useful Post:

American Grouch Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,763 Times in 2,291 Posts

Told ya you'd like it man.

Before I got my Lost River I was trying to decide between the First Trip Explorer and the LR. In the end the LR one out because with the front pocket to hold shelter + water filtration the interior space was big enough for the Mor's Pot plus food plus possibles kit, tracking kit, fire kit, meaning I can get three days out of that bag when combined with my Mountain Serape or my Kelty 0 down bag for colder weather.

Hands down best pack I've every purchased. It gets used more than its big brother the Lemhi.

There's nothing wrong with the pull tabs but I swapped them for paracord on mine, just have a better feel and easier to use if you're wearing gloves in the frost. Here's what mine look like now.

Those side pockets are great, they'll hold a 48oz silo bottle, and when I'm going where it's dry I'll often use that set up. When not I pack my zoom lenses in one of them plus a bacho folding saw and a field strop.

That under lid zippered pouch is where I keep my field guides, maps, and first aid kit. I took the first aid kit and broke it down into three different sized zip lock bags and they fit nicely in that lid. One for blood loss, one for snivels, one for misc.

BTW, the game bag can be used for more than that obviously. It attached to the back harness and the pack, I've used it more than once to bring back some unexpected finds while out beating the bush. Chaga primarily but also other things as well as game.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the field!!
    Just stop talking and start doing...

The General Ramblings of a Backwoods Bum...American Grouch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,564 Times in 404 Posts

That's pretty slick! Let us know how it is after some miles in the dirt, too

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Airth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Croatoan View Post
    Told ya you'd like it man.

Before I got my Lost River I was trying to decide between the First Trip Explorer and the LR. In the end the LR one out because with the front pocket to hold shelter + water filtration the interior space was big enough for the Mor's Pot plus food plus possibles kit, tracking kit, fire kit, meaning I can get three days out of that bag when combined with my Mountain Serape or my Kelty 0 down bag for colder weather.

Hands down best pack I've every purchased. It gets used more than its big brother the Lemhi.

There's nothing wrong with the pull tabs but I swapped them for paracord on mine, just have a better feel and easier to use if you're wearing gloves in the frost. Here's what mine look like now.

Those side pockets are great, they'll hole a 48oz silo bottle, and when I'm going where it's dry I'll often use that set up. When not I pack my zoom lenses in one of them plus a bacho folding saw and a field strop.

That under lid zippered pouch is where I keep my field guides, maps, and first aid kit. I took the first aid kit and broke it down into three different sized zip lock bags and they fit nicely in that lid. One for blood loss, one for snivels, one for misc.

BTW, the game bag can be used for more than that obviously. It attached to the back harness and the pack, I've used it more than once to bring back some unexpected finds while out beating the bush. Chaga primarily but also other things as well as game.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the field!!
    awesome Cro thanks!! Good idea on the paracord upgrade. I used some thin gloves to test em out but thinking ahead when im up north and have my thick gloves on it might be nice to have the paracord.

Finished updating the original thread with pictures and info!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badger claw For This Useful Post:

American Grouch Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,763 Times in 2,291 Posts

By the way, the way that bino case attaches is also one of the ways the piece I am working on with him can be used. Like that, or with a stand alone harness...
    Just stop talking and start doing...

The General Ramblings of a Backwoods Bum...American Grouch

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Croatoan For This Useful Post:

Modern Day Kill Captain Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,572 Times in 5,734 Posts
    Items for Sale

Ive been eyein em since i saw Croatoan's.
    "The coward believes he will live forever If he holds back in the battle, But in old age he shall have no peace Though spears have spared his limbs ." - Havamal

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerri For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast