Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giant Mushroom - Is it edible?

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Giant Mushroom - Is it edible?

I noticed this monster in the lawn heading out to work this morning. Just remembered it and decided to go grab it. This thing weighs in at 2 lbs and shown next to one of my sons books for scale. Anyone know what kind of mushroom it is and if its edible?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajhummel For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

With some quick research it looks like its edible. Guess i will have to try it!

Calvatia gigantea

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajhummel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've never found the giant variety like that one, but there are plenty of the smaller ones around my area. Lot's of recipes online, sounds like they are good with eggs. Let us know how it turns out!

Scout Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

So you found a video on youtube and you're going to eat it?.....please let me know where I can send my condolences.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to superslow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I Found one of them in my yard the other day as well. Not as big though. I popped it out and got rid of it because I am not to sure of shrooms and do not want my kids to grab any that they shouldnt. My 1 yr old will eat his shoes if I let him so a big white blob in the middle of the grass will just be calling to him. Anyway let me know how it is.
    Last edited by mikejd; 08-15-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,319 Times in 2,686 Posts

Slice it about 3/8s to 1/2 inch thick cover with flour or pancake flour and lightly fry in oil for a while then remove it and finish it off on a grill over a wood fire . Red Elm did this at our last fall campout and it was out of this world .

Oh BTW he used a GI mess tin to fry it so maybe you better use that .

Puffballs , Shaggy Mane , Morels are the easiest to ID .

Small ones need to be sliced down the middle to be sure there is no stem inside . Stem inside means it's not a puffball .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 08-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superslow View Post
    So you found a video on youtube and you're going to eat it?.....please let me know where I can send my condolences.
    haha no, although she does seem to know what she is talking about, I am still looking up other resources to confirm what it is. With mushrooms you must be 100% sure of the identification. I found some consistent info on this thing though and seems quite popular for eating actually.

This may be a more reputable source for you http://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/200...atia-gigantea/...but if you want to send a fruit arrangement, my family and I will be glad to eat it.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajhummel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The closest thing it looks like from your very vague picture is a puffball. However, edibility of puffballs ranges from delicious to terrible, and they can be confused with veiled varieties of poisonous mushrooms like Amanitas. You need to buy Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora (or at least check it out from the library) and key out the mushroom. Until you cut it open you cannot verify if it has a veil or not, and to get the sub-species you will likely need a spore print.

Eastern Europe, Ex-USSR, Homestead in Bulgaria
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 477 Posts

Yes, looks like a puffball. Great to eat: I have tried emptying out the middle and stuffing it, then baking in the oven.

Main problem is that there is a lot of it for one meal and it doesn't keep too well.....
    ------------------------------------
    “It is always hard to see the purpose in wilderness wanderings until after they are over" John Bunyan "The Pilgrim's Progress"
    2014 Activities: Overnight under canvas/stars - 0, Day and multiple day trips - 18 days, Short trips - 6.

Scout
    Thanks

take it to your county extension office they should be able to tell you http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast