Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Paracord raeally worth the rep?????

Banned Member
    Thanks

The only reason I buy paracord anymore is to tie stuff like paracord bracelet 's and similar things like that. I still have some in my pack and use it but I'm not replacing it in my pack. Bank line is my go to for camping /bushcraft. Jute is fine until it starts to rott, but the wax idea might give it more life, I've never thought about waxing it. Jute won't work for traps it binds up on itself too much, it is also a pain to tie knots with, especially if it is frayed and it frayes a lot. But, wax on jute, might stop all of that.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Thanked 5,823 Times in 1,075 Posts

Paracord is just cord. No, it's not worth the rep. This thread makes it seem like there are only 3 types of cord out there. Spectra cord is many times lighter and stronger than paracord. Paracord has the inner strands that are very useful, but other than that there is nothing special about it. For a tarp set up you can get cord that is much lighter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't use a lanyard on my knives or sharp objects. I don't want it swinging around and cutting me if I lose my grip on it. I don't want it snagging a limb while I'm walking through the bush. I use a lot of Paracord, Bank Line and Jute Twine. Have some of all on me at all times. All have great benefits and don't take to much room.

One exception, Neck Knife sheath...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eastxbush1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,363 Times in 852 Posts
    Items for Sale

Yes, paracord is worth the reputation. To me it is one of the absolute most versatile pieces of cordage available with a price-point that's inexpensive enough that folks don't mind actually using it and a strength to weight ratio that exceeds that of most other cordage options. It is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Carrying tinder is really only helpful for when there is NO other natural tinder availible (never happened once in my life) or when you just don't have the time to process natural tinters (has happened out of laziness many times). Jute is nice for this but for a source of carried tinder, I'd opt for a fatwood toggle on paracord lanyard. This gives you a waterproof tinder source with the fatwood and the usefulness of a small piece of paracord in the lanyard.

Tarred bankline is where it's at for woods cordage in my opinion. It's certainly not as strong as paracord or amsteel or anything like that but it's plenty strong for almost any chore you need, is $5 for 250' of 200lb break strength line, and that 250' packs into the size of about 30-40' of paracord. This is usually what I carry for disposable cordage.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdpolk For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

One thing I have found that I prefer natural cordage for is wrapping on handles and walking sticks. Much more comfortable than paracord in my opinion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MWalker For This Useful Post:

Overkill is underrated Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eastxbush1 View Post
    I don't use a lanyard on my knives or sharp objects. I don't want it swinging around and cutting me if I lose my grip on it. I don't want it snagging a limb while I'm walking through the bush. I use a lot of Paracord, Bank Line and Jute Twine. Have some of all on me at all times. All have great benefits and don't take to much room. One exception, Neck Knife sheath...
    FWIW: I like a lanyard on my knives and I prefer gutted 550 cord with a cord lock adjuster. A properly adjusted lanyard can anchor the blade to your hand and prevent it from slipping out during hard use.

The lanyard on my SRK is captured by the retainer strap and tucked behind the sheath. On my 'Ol Hick, it tucks behind the fire steel loop and I have the option of tucking it under the shock-cord retainer lanyard on my fire steel while moving. Both lanyards tend to keep tucked and not snag.

I haven't drilled my Robust for a lanyard yet- Maybe later tonite. I'm going to try the waxed jute on it.

I have a short lanyard on my Samsung Rugby II phone- Makes it easier to retrieve from the tool pocket of my carpenter jeans or bib pocket of my overalls. I also have removable lanyard for my Leatherman CORE that I attach to my belt loop before I go fishing...Just in case. I hate hearing the dreaded "bloop!"
    Last edited by Fat Old Man; 08-18-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.” - Frederick Douglass, circa August 1857

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Old Man For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

Use the right cord for the job.

I would not climb with jutte, I would not fish with paracord, I would not floss my teeth with bankline...
    Last edited by OhCanada; 08-18-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Canadian SHTF song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uASQgLwaIs
    BushCRAFT...it is what you do, not what you carry.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhCanada For This Useful Post:

usual suspect ♌ Supporter Keyser Söze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,432 Times in 4,219 Posts

Jute is good for some things ...then 550 para-cord is good for other things -both are worth having in your kit -i do have them both ...you can't make good fire with para-cord -but you can make a excellent tarp set up with it , also best shoe laces/walking cordage when you need it etc
    "Can I get some coffee?" ~Verbal
    . Forum Rule nr 7

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Keyser Söze For This Useful Post:

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,429 Times in 6,309 Posts

Paracord is worth it. I have been using the same line kit for goin on 4 years now, and still have most of it. There is no need to go through so much cordage. Keep pre cut lengths and a braided or twisted ridgeline with a whipped eye like the bushclasses and you are good to go for a very long time. I dont get how some of you boys are goin through cordage like ya are looming sweaters and makin quilts with the stuff.... Lol

For a knife lanyard? I dont use a lanyard on any field knife anymore. Just gets in my way. Bolos and chetes are a differant story though. For those I dont care what cordage is on it. Dont overthink the small stuff.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,152 Posts

Paracord is a handy item, but I'm not willing to spend the cash for it. I just purchased 300 ft (330lbs test) of bank line for just a couple more dollars than a hank of paracord. jute twine can be purchased at the dollar general and there is nothing wrong with carrying both if you are inclined to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast