1/8 vs 5/32

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Erdbeereis, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Erdbeereis

Erdbeereis Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Which thickness do you guys prefer on your 3-4" bushcraft blades? Do you notice a major difference in cutting performance?

2. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    if all other dimensions are equal, the thinner steel will have a slightly narrower primary bevel, which means it should produce less drag when cutting.
    the narrower the blade, the more pronounced this difference will be. (you will notice the difference on a knife with a 1" blade height but probably not on one with a 1.5" or taller blade height)

that said, I have no problem with 1/8" thick steel but I tend to own more knives with 5/32" or 3/16" spines.

3. brutane

brutane Scout

Blog Posts:
    In a short knife I generally prefer thinner blades now. I used to think thicker meant better until I started to get better at skills and then the short thick blades proved to be harder to use and unnecessary. One would rarely baton with such a short blade and precision cuts are done best with a thin blade.

4. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    my personal preference is for thinner, shorter (2 1/2 - 3 inch) blades but my camp knives are typically used for food prep and carving. i use a hatchet a lot around camp for some of the tasks others use a knife for. not that there's anything wrong with a 3-4 inch, thicker blade. it just isn't what i use.

5. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Turley Green river in 5/32 on the way now and have a BH 1/8 woodcrafter I doubt I can tell the differenc, if it pure batonning a 3/16 or more is probably better. Prefer convex edge regardless.

Larry

6. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Currently my favorite thickness is 9/64", directly in between those thicknesses.

7. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Personally, convex edge, 5/32...scandi, 1/8

8. penetrator

penetrator Scout

Blog Posts:
    A thin knife will always outcut a thick one, and for a short knife, even a thin blade is robust enough. I've batoned my Mora 711 into knots that resulted in the blade bending in the shape of a banana where it followed the grain, and it returned perfectly straight and true with no damage.