10 herbal essentials ?? need info please.

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Fox Fire, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Fox Fire

Fox Fire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seems a good while back I read something about 10 or 12 essential herbs one could include into their diet an just about fix any ailment we encounter, about the only thing I can recall was it contained cinnamon, honey, maybe ginger...I cant remeber much but it was an interesting bit of info.

Might anyone have an idea where I can find anything pertaining to this ??

Thanks in advance.

brionic likes this.
  2. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oil of Oregano?
    I hear its good for everything from goiters to anal warts.

I really know sh!t about herbal medicine stuff outside of honey, magnesium, and probiotics.

Otherwise check with @Harper

hdlv, Subdood, Kacie and 2 others like this.
  3. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

You are not far off!

You can use Oil of Oregano for warts--but I would be real careful about using it there! It is used full strength for warts and it can give a serious burninig sensation to the surrounding tissue if it gets on it.

Oregano Oil is very good for first aid situations and many common illnesses. You should learn more about it--you won't be sorry. Be warned though , it tastes aweful!

On to the OP.

I've seen all kinds of top 10 lists over the years, so I am not sure that I know which one you are thinking of.

Going off the top of my head, my top 10 would be as follows (not in any particular order):

1. Turmeric + Curcumin. Almost everybody should be taking this supplement. (Anti inflammatory, Anti-Cancer, Arthritis, Brain, Heart, Joint, Blood Sugar, a lot of other things)*

2. Black Cumin Seed Oil. (Anti-Cancer, Joints, Asthma, Anti-Immune diseases, Liver and a whole lot more)*

3. Diluted Oil of Oregano--during flu season and as needed. (Anti-biotic, Anti-Viral, Anti-fungal, Respiratory tract, stomach problems, many more things)

4. Cayenne--with food. Makes Turmeric and most other herbs work better. (Heart and Circulation)

5. Celtic Sea Salt. This is "heart friendly" and doesn't effect water retention and blood pressure like as much as other salts do. Containts 80-90 minerals that we are not getting in the amounts that we should through our foods. (Minerals, Cells,Electrolytes)

6. Honey and Ceylon Cinnamon. Can put in tea, below. Avoid honey if diabetic. Cinnamon is good for diabetes, The type of cinnamon is important if taking it daily. (Anti-bacterial, stomach, blood, arthritis, bladder, etc.)

7. Herbal Magnesium/Calcium in the proper ratio. Most people are deficient. (bones, joints, heart, blood sugar, nerves, a lot more)*

8. A good, absorbable Multi Vitamin (without iron for men).* This is the best brand that I have found: http://healthmasters.com/products/ultimate-multiple-wo-iron

9. Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (Vitamin C, stomach, hormones, all kinds of things)

10. Vitamin D3 and K2 used in combination. (Bones, Joints, Immune System, etc.)*

(*)--especially important for daily use in my opinion.

I might swap out the honey and cinnamon for Ginger. Or Hawthorn Berry if there was a history of heart problems in the family.

Other lists that I have seen include Apple Cider Vinegar, Blackstrap Molasses and Garlic.

Oregano Oil, Black Cumin Seed Oil and Manuka Honey have even been shown to kill things (like MRSA) which modern antibiotics can't.

I have written a lot about many of these things here:

Spices That Can Serve Multiple Purposes

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  4. Outdoorgirl5

Outdoorgirl5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So I just glanced at the information on the link Harper posted, so much information! Thank you!!
    I have recently bought some oil of oregano to have once cold/flu season comes on, hoping to avoid over the counter meds.
    and I have started taking tumeric last week, but it looks like I need to add some cayenne.

Apple cider Vinegar is also a great wart remover (I know warts weren't really the point of this but just sayin) I have used it on my kids when they were in elementary school with no return growth. Coat the area surrounding the wart with petroleum jelly, wet the tip of a q-tip with brags ACV, rip the cotton off the q-tip and secure it to the wart with a bandaid. Repeat nightly, turns black and falls off within a couple of days. They preferred this to the wart removers you buy that don't seem to do anything and the removal at the doctor.

Braggs ACV also good to help change the body ph to reduce acid reflux.

Doubles, Guillaume Longval and Harper like this.
  5. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    It don't matter what herbs/food you take in if you already have overworked, heavily burdened digestive system. Best thing for otherwise healthy people to do for their health, imo, is water fast for at least 3 days. Eveybody ought to read: Fasting and Eating for Health-A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease.

Also, duct tape is awesome for warts.

Harper likes this.
  6. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you take ACV by the spoon (i.e.--not on food), make sure that you rinse your mouth with water or, even better, brush your teeth. The ACV may effect your tooth enamel over time.

Also, it is better to take Turmeric around meal time or with a healthy oil. It will stay in your systerm longer and more of it will be absorbed into your system. It is better to take Turmeric in its whole form as opposed to just the active ingredient, Curcumin. I take Turmeric + Curcumin--it gives the benefits of the full spectrum of the whole herb plus the concentrated "punch" of the Curcumin.

Subdood and Outdoorgirl5 like this.
  7. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Be careful on a lot of the "alternative" medicine supplements, a lot of the claims and pitches of supplement companies are unsubstantiated. Some of the herbs contain pretty strong drugs (Yohimbe and Ephedra for instance), so be careful.

Here's a good link regarding quackery in the supplement industry, despite the title it covers a wide range of supplement related claims:
    A Skeptical Look at St. John's Wort
    False Tenets of Paraherbalism

If you eat a diet containing lots of fruits and vegetables you probably don't need any supplementation.

8. Outdoorgirl5

Outdoorgirl5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, interesting articles caoutdoorsman. Knowledge is power, we all must educate ourselves on both sides of the topic. And with supplements like with everything else - too much of a good thing is a bad thing - especially in the case of Ephedra.

I believe in western medicine (I have worked in healthcare for over 20 years) but I do see a place to seek alternatives to pharmaceuticals, and often times they can compliment each other (Statins and fish oil is a good combo). They can also make a bad combination, so we must check for contraindications (Warfarin & Inconsistent/high intake of Vit K is bad). The medical world is changing and there are new discoveries happening every day, traditional doctors now recommend fish oil, glucosamine, gingko & lutein and more, when a couple decades back it was seen as craziness.

I have an non curable autoimmune disorder that would not yield after months of traditional medical treatment (or maybe it would have eventually but the side effects were horrible), I went to a naturopathic doctor and was able to find control, not a cure, but it was relief within a short time using high quality products that were way less expensive. So for me the proof is in the pudding, it worked for this situation. I have had others situations where conventional medicine did the job.

Harper, Doubles and caoutdoorsman like this.
  9. NorthernOwl

NorthernOwl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I strongly believe that alot of the medicines we need are in easy to find herbs but no body can profit on it so they dont get any attention. A favorite tea mix of mine is golden rod, plantain, nettle leaves, and chaga. I believe that with these free or cheap herbs they will help keep your body healthy.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

stanz, Outdoorgirl5 and Harper like this.
  10. Fox Fire

Fox Fire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone, I havent been ignoring the post but been digging around trying to find some info, either way the tread has got some food for thought thats been posted.

Outdoorgirl5 likes this.
  11. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I know this an older thread, but wanted to add a bit if experience with Turmeric. Ihave been taki g that and some other things to help with recovery after surgery. The Turmeric (+curcumin) has most definitely helped with join inflammation and pain in my knees that I have had for a longtime.