12" Ontario Machete Mod

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Boy Scout, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if this belongs in Self-Made Gear or Edged Tools, but I did modify it so... :14:

I wanted to try a "chopper," but didn't want/need to drop a lot of money on one. I looked at my needs vs. wants, and since I don't make a living in the bush and occasionally play in the woods, I didn't need a top of the line blade. On the other side of the same coin, I wanted something of quality that could be depended on to practice wilderness survival skills. I decided to buy a 12" Ontario machete and mod it to my specifications:

12" Ontario machete
    -D-shaped knuckle guard/knuckle destroyer removed
    -Grip thinned and re-profiled
    -Ricasso sharpened
    -Blade tip re-shaped to Bowie-ish point
    -Blade sharpened to convex grind

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, about $25 and a couple hours worth of work for a "custom" blade that I can chop, dig, slice, strike a fire with and just generally beat up and not be too worse for the wear. Not to mention the satisfaction that comes with personalizing and crafting your own gear. Will it chop as good as the $200 ones? Probably not. But do I like it and will it get me out of a tough spot should I need it to? Absolutely!

Now I just have to make a sheath! I'm still deciding between kydex and leather...

(This is a mod completed by me a couple years ago and I thought I had posted it then. I figured I'd share my experience so others can learn!)

2. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very Nice, Lets see some in use pics and thoughts after using it for a while.

woodsmanjohn likes this.
  3. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice work. A convexed 12" machete is a very capable tool. I really like the tip that you put on it.

woodsmanjohn and chris67 like this.
  4. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Nice Job! I have modded a few machetes over the years as well good material to work with.

5. Thorbyfour

Thorbyfour Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks great! I have cut up several and have always enjoyed them. Hard to beat for the money.

6. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a metallurgist by means, I know virtually nothing of metalwork and especially knife-making. It took a little while to get it cut off with a Dremel rotary cutter, dipping in water to be careful not to get it too hot and mess with any of the heat treat. Their steel is tough! I don't think I could mess it up but I'll give it a try! Having a bench grinder to profile it just to my liking made it quite easy. I used a rotary sander to profile the edge then moved on to a convexing kit for the edge.

If I get any more crafty, I may cut a deeper edge near the ricasso like a TBT to clean up that area. I thought about getting some saw teeth cut halfway up the back too...

Next up though is a handle wrap with some TBL and a sheath. I think I'm going to try my hand at leather and use some TBL to stitch it.

MrFixIt and NWPrimate like this.