.177 or .22 cal for an air rifle??

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Skab, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I'm looking to get me a nicer air rifle mostly for squirrels and rabbits and the neighbors cat once and awhile!!

Why should I choose one over the other, .177 or .22??

2. Bk2 in the Backwoods

Bk2 in the Backwoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is mine image.jpg I'd say get a 22.I have a 177 and have found it to be great for plinking and for birds but for a squirrel it needs a head shot which can get a little hard.The benjiman trail by crosman has a sling which is great,carrying a 6 pound gun all day can get tiring.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    My opinion; .22 caliber for shear knock-down power; especially for a dedicated hunting rifle.
    What you would give up in marginal range; and a little rainbow effect; the smack-down is where it counts. If you hunt small game similar to how I do; it's up close and personal any way.
    If you were hunting birds; I'd have to go with the .177.
    Inside of about 65 yards; and you would be absolutely lethal with a spring-barrel .22 air rifle.
    However; you shoot the neighbor's cat and it will be the next of his nine lives :)

4. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    No issues with a .177 on waskally wabbits in my backyard, head shot with a scope every time and its lights out.
    I imagine my Benjamin Sheridan would have no problem, its just a lot louder.

5. Chazzle

Chazzle Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you are hunting furred critters, I would recommend a .22 (5.5mm). I use a Benjamin Sheridan 392 with a Williams Peep sight. This airgun anchors squirrels that eat my tomatoes and peppers out to 25 yds. Asking folks whether .177 or .22 is better gets the forum into the "small & fast vs. slow & heavy" bullet/projectile debate (as there are many on the internet!). It boils down to what you are comfortable using, and more importantly accurate with to make a clean kill.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Chazzle

6. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  7. J.M.

J.M. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Split the difference and get a .20 cal. Ive got a Beeman in .20 and it does the job. I have shot a lot of vermin with it including 15 or 20 woodchucks, most dropped in their tracks with headshots. No problem with squirrels out to 30 yrds either.

8. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a .177 last year and have taken over a dozen squirrels with it and half a dozen rabbits. It's got ample power for close range as one of the pellets went through a running squirrels shoulder and excited out the other. However, I did hit one tough old squirrel in the head (I always aim at the eyeball. It's a nice spot to aim for) and she ran off. I found her later in the summer and put another shot in her head. She had a scar like Scar from the Lion Kong and was missing an eye from my shot that was half a cm off of where I aimed. I felt horrible for unknowingly crippling her.
    I had been using round nose pellets as I had heard they were the best option for hunting penetration with a 177. I switched over to Gamo pellets that have a BB in the nose; Rockets maybe, and never lost another shot but I was still a bit shaken.

So I just picked up a Crosman Venom NP (Wood stocked) for $149 from Wallymart with free site to store shipping last week. Spring squirrel season is coming in June and hopefully I'll fare better. It should be similar to shooting 22 shorts out of my little Winchester.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

9. mrjefe2u

mrjefe2u Scout

Blog Posts:
    I added a Weihrauch single shot .177 that hits pretty hard from Pyramid Air. There is an art to cradling your left hand on the forestock that will improve accuracy.

My Ruger 10-22 is hard to beat for most things.

Don't rule out a .22 mag in a rifle. It can be a little loud if not in the country.

10. Skab

Blog Posts:
    I have plenty of actual firearms......several .22's.......just want a new air rifle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to shoot. Have you seen the prices that .22 ammo is bringing right now?

11. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had good luck using a .177 on squirrel. Never tried it on rabbit. I had a .22 multipump that did great on both squirrel and rabbit as well as other nuisance animals. I'd say either will work for these tasks but the .22 works better if it delivers the pellet with enough velocity. There is no questioning the energy transfer of similar velocities is much greater with the .22. If your down to the line and have 2 air rifles in mind I'd lean toward the .22 since it does have a slightly greater advantage but I wouldn't worry too much as long as the .177 is a good one.

For the record when the seals gave up on my .22 I replaced it with a .177 since I didn't have the funds to get another decent .22 at the time. That .177 has taken a fair share of squirrel. However I do plan to pick up another .22 since it really hit them much harder and resulted in a quicker death.

Let us know which you decide.

Lerch

12. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have been literally scouring the web the last week and a half on this very issue. Pyramid Air, referred to me by SweeneyGuy seems to have a lot of selection, reasonable prices, many reviews to read and knowledgeable staff. I grew up with a Sheridan multi pump 5mm/.20 cal as a kid and loved it. Considering most of the single break actions replicate 7 pumps with the Sheridan, it's hard for me to justify going back to that. The Ruger air guns are Chinese replicas of the RWS German made guns for about 60% less in price. Almost all the air guns are Chinese in the lower price range. I keep vacillating on whether or not to drop 130.00 to 160.00 for scope and rifle vs 350.00 to 400.00 plus. My vote goes to the .22. But with the prices I just described, you can afford both calibers of the lower end compared to one of the other. Be curious to know what you decide. This one I am literally and figuratively ready to pull the trigger on.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Big_Cat_1200_and_1250/1280

13. Skab

Blog Posts:
    That same gun is on my short list....also these two

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Nitro_Venom_Air_Rifle/2401

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Titan_GP_Nitro_Piston_Air_Rifle/2603

14. DCM

Blog Posts:
    That Benjamin Titan GP nitro is also one that keeps me from fully deciding. It's between those two for me. I am partial to the Benjamin name, though not sure that really matters.

15. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I personally prefer the .177 chambering over the .22 in a air rifle a .22 air rifle close enough to 22 rimfire CB cap loads to overlap though with ammo prices skyrocketing recently the .22 air rifle sounds more appealing each day. Presently I own just one air rifle a 177 chicom made spring air rifle that drops rats no problem.

16. mrjefe2u

mrjefe2u Scout

Blog Posts:
    plenty of actual firearms

[/QUOTE]

I also bought a can of field target round nose (big game rat load) from

http://www.pyramydair.com/

Their site lets you search by cost, loudness, etc.

Mine is not cheap, but you leave it all here, anyway.

17. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Does Wally world or you local gunshop carry pellets in the caliber of your choice? ;)

You can get .177 everywhere.

PS. Stockpile pellets now also. Prices ALWAYS go up.

18. INFANTRY

INFANTRY Scout

Blog Posts:
    I found a old .22 pellet rifle ( Believe it was an old Crossman) in my house a few years back. Gave it to my father in Ohio as a project. He sent it off to get cleaned up and new rings added. The next time I visited Ohio he asked if I wanted to go in the back year and try it out. He loaded it and shot the first round. I could not believe the sound it made, such a load crack. If I did not know better I would have thought it was a .22 short going off. Not a CO2 powered .22 pellet gun.

19. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Benjamin is what I first looked at but I ended up with the Crosman as they're both made by Crosman.
    Is the GP the one with the bigger piston? One of the Benjamin Trail models has a larger piston.

20. mrjefe2u

mrjefe2u Scout

Blog Posts:
  21. Chazzle

Chazzle Guide

Blog Posts:
    My local Wally mart stocks Crosman Wadcutters in .22. I prefer Predator PolyMags and Beeman Crow Magnums bought online.

22. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might check with your " Fish & Game Regulations " , as to what caliber might be " Legal " to Hunt within your state ..?

I.E: In CA, the .20 , is the legal min caliber for Hunting Small Game.
    Pellet Gun Hunting in Calif.
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=474913

I personally decided to go with a larger caliber " .25 ".
    Pistol: http://www.mountainaircustomairguns.com/model_8.htm

Carbine: http://www.mountainaircustomairguns.com/model_6.htm
    [​IMG]
    Mountain Air Pump Pistol .25 / Mountain Air Co2 Carbine .25 / Theoben Eliminator .25; I was disappointed with the Theoben, it was TOOO Expensive for what you get.

http://www.beemans.net/best airguns.htm
    " My highest recommendation for air rifle caliber generally is .20 caliber (5 mm). . The trajectory is almost as flat as a.177, but it has greater efficiency from the very same powerplant. This, and the heavier pellets with larger frontal area, means much better impact. However, if energy were the ruling matter, we should all simply go to .22 and .25 caliber. Useful as those calibers are for certain purposes, I certainly do not feel that they would be the top recommendations for a shooter who is planning to buy his first adult air rifle. An ideal combination for field use would be a .20 caliber and a .25 caliber air rifle. I would recommend .177 caliber only for air pistols and for official match shooting which specify that caliber..."

23. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    My local Walmart carries 22 cal Crosman Premier pellets in round nose and wadcutters.
    My local gun shop/Ag CoOp carries Gamo, Beeman, Crosman, and RWS pellets in 22 cal.

Also, just about anything on Walmart's website can be shipped to the store of your choice for free.

24. RDROgers

RDROgers Scout

Blog Posts:
    Growing up I had a 20 cal pump action. Can't remember the brand. Impossible to pump over 8 times. That thing was a beast on anything up to raccoon. We had a large chunk of woods behind our house, but lived in the city limits. Air rifles allowed us to hunt all but deer. I think hat pump is the reason why I am reasonably accurate today. Come to think of it, dad made me start with a single shot shotgun, too.

25. Old School

Old School Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was in Walmart tonight and saw a Beeman dual caliber air rifle with .177 cal @1000 fps. another barrel .22 cal @ 800 fps. with a 4X scope. The price was $124.

26. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    There's not much of a difference in size and weight between the two. I don't know about actual balistics of each pellet. I know my Gamo will shoot a. 177 pellet super sonic. I haven't seen a. 22 cal. Shoot that fast unless its one of the expensive pre charged guns. I would hesitate to use mine on any small game animal with the right pellets.

27. Raider197500

Raider197500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lot of good suggestions here i prefer pre charged pneumatics i have a jack haley 452 it will shoot a 200 grain pellet at a 1000 fps with nitrogen and 1300 on helium mix id have one put together at the crosman custom shop for a 100 $ bucks or so i have a few springers and pumps which are fine for hunting but if you
    want to plink ALOT i prefer co2 pumping gets old unless your young....... Have fun a lot of people dont relize how far airguns have advanced

Attached Files:

28. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  29. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like .177, and have taken squirrel with it. I do want a multi pump .22 though.

Ive switched completely from a .22 firearm to high power airguns.

30. robsdak

robsdak Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 i traded for one of these a couple months ago. not shot it a lot. it was accurate when it was shot and plenty of knockdown for the critters. barrels change easy enough.

31. Thaddius Bickerton

Thaddius Bickerton Guide

Blog Posts:
    long ago I had a .22 from Czechoslovakia that I loved as a kid. I would get those gummed paper chain strips that you used to be able to buy and roll them up tighter or looser to get a slower slap for cats without killing them then use lead pellets on birds, squirrel and rabbit.

was not powerful enough to take ground hog except at 5 or 6 foot distances so I upped the anti to using a 22 Long rifle for those.

With the dearth of 22LR ammo at the present I have been looking for a new 22 or larger caliber one (bigger boolet is better theory for me).

Still haven't found one that will do what I want at a price I can afford.

(I want a air rifle capable of putting all the pellets into about .3 of an inch at fifty yards and passing through a half inch sheet of plywood) Does not need scope,and would actually prefer something like the sights on the M14 rifle if available.

Does anything like that exist, or wonder If I could build something like that. Be interesting to build one that would fire the 55 grain .223 boolets at around 1200 fps.

32. DCM

Blog Posts:
    I went ahead and ordered the Crossman GP nitro .22 Titan from Pyramid Air a short while ago. After scouring the reviews on many models it was evidently clear the the scopes included in the package prices are next to junk. I opted to order an additional one so as not to have to waste time finding out for myself and having to switch it later. I went with this scope:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_UTG_4x32_AO_Rifle_Scope_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Tube_Weaver_Rings/4315

The online chat help was excellent. I will see how this works out.

33. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Killed squirrels & rabbits with .177s, .20s & .22s over the years, currently have a Silver Streak .177, a 392 in .22 and a RWS 34P in .22. I prefer the .22 for small game hunting...

34. donal

donal Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    If you have any talent, for the bow; I'd suggest a couple of good slingshots...similar draw, anchor, wot-not. I have a few...or more...they're relatively cheap, and I prefer .375 lead ball, cast from whatever lead you find. The guy who invented the ComBowSling, makes my favorite, and the bands change FAST.. I guess I could mention a couple of pneumatic air pistols, Benjamins, and a .375 Drulov air rifle, I cut-down, and modded to take small paint-ball cylinders..the stock really needs replacing, tho.

35. DCM

Blog Posts:
    I stated I went with Crossman but I meant to say Benjamin:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Titan_GP_Nitro_Piston_Air_Rifle/2603

36. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    You had all that gun put together for $100?

37. thewildroseforever

thewildroseforever Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A 22 would be better in my opinion (or at least for me ;) just for ease in making the kill. However you might not want that for your neighbors cat lol.

38. Skab

Blog Posts:
  39. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Skab did you go with .177 or .22?

40. Skab

Blog Posts:

41. Skab

Blog Posts:
    This video really help educate me on pellets

[video=youtube;awBBVBi_89E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awBBVBi_89E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

42. Skab

Blog Posts:
    Also....coupoun code : AG-2012-2 got me 10% off my order......so basicly shipping was free!

43. DCM

Blog Posts:
    Great vid. Helped me validate my choice for what was best for me. I used the welcome-4 code and got 5% off. Wish I had known about the one you used. Not a huge difference though and am looking forward to getting it. Should be by the end of the week.

44. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pyramid Air also does a buy 3, get the 4th tin of pellets free thing. No coupon code needed. Which is nice. Basically free shipping.

45. bearkat

bearkat Scout

Blog Posts:
  46. 1Olddog

1Olddog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up one of these back when they were like $89.00 and found it to be more than adequate for squirrels probably rabbits also. At the time was just looking for something for when TSHTF as hunting with an air rifle in Florida is illegal. I have been stocking up on pellets since ammo is in short supply and can buy a lot of pellets for the cost of a brick of 22 rf ammo.