1st time geocahing

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Woods Bexar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Woods Bexar

Woods Bexar Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    After a suggestion from vtblackdog that I try geocaching with my kids i started researching right away. I told my wife and kids about it and they were excited and wanted to try it. Long story short, I downloaded c:geo to my Galaxy SII and we went out on our first search. after a bit of learning how to use the app we finally found our first cache. It was a traditional micro cache that had been placed in 2007. It was a lot of fun and we can't wait to go out and do some more geocaching and eventually hiding our own. Thanks again to Vtblackdog for the idea. I think we are all hooked.
    [​IMG]

2. Bushcraftgeek

Bushcraftgeek Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's good your kids got into it it's sorta like an easter egg hunt that even the parents can enjoy. I have brought my son along but wasn't able to find it right off but he still just enjoyed being out seeing the birds and such. I actually just found my first geocache today as well.From their looks seems like they wanted to go and find more

3. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    My wife liked it so much she wanted a gps. She's been wanting one for a while, but now she really wanted one. I went to best buy and found a Magellan eXplorist GC on clearance for 74.99. I hope it works ok for a couple beginners.

4. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    HAHAHAHA you're hooked...
    Always good to get the kids outdoors!
    A year from now you'll have 20 of your own and dedicate paychecks towards new cache ideas, not to mention looking at EVERYTHING to evaluate its cache holding potential... lOL

Good to see you getting out... check out GC1K5MN
    Riverwalk has some cool ones too...

5. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the fire we go out once or twice a month. It's a great excuse to go hiking and something interesting to do in local parks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    I'm already trying to think of something cool to make for my first cache, lol.

7. Bushcraftgeek

Bushcraftgeek Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've heard good things about that model. I myself have an old garmin gps 12 from 1996 or so still works good it was only $10 I need to upgrade sometime but it sorta gives me a reason to walk around more just to find the cache

8. UDTfrogman

UDTfrogman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the addiction! Next, you will be attending mega-events and running power trails!

9. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    Caching is a great way to get the family out with you. Let your wife get the GPS ... no questions asked! It's very handy ... In addition to the Caching activities, I use my hand held Garmin just about every time I hike. Even in the local woods/trails I know like the back of my hand. I am constantly marking spots that I want to remember (where I saw a huge deer rub, morel mushroom patches from year to year, good camp spots, overlooks, or places of interest). I also use the hand held unit like a cars dashboard instrument. At the end of the day it can tell you how many miles you've walked, the elevations you've covered, and your avg speed, etc...

I guess if I got lost I could even use it to find my way to the truck ...

10. TS-n-SoTx

TS-n-SoTx Turley Knife Club Member Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey Brother......Good looking crew there.....good times......good memories!

Blessings!

11. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    Hid my first one today, waiting for a volunteer to review it before it gets posted.

12. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brotha. The Good Lord blessed me with 2 girls and 2 boys all in a row. He knows I like even numbers i guess, lol.
    Taking the Royal Ambassadors Geocaching down the San Antonio River Saturday. Should be lots of fun.

13. Shnick

Blog Posts:
    And so it begins...
    Have fun with it buddy!

EDIT:
    I'll be in S.A. for Christmas, send me the number...

14. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    Will do as soon as it is reviewed and posted. Says its peak season for hiding so it could take up to 7 days.

15. MarauderMan

MarauderMan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think this is awesome. I'm going to try it out come spring with my family.

16. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been caching for a decade now. I did a couple of events, the most found in one day, for me, was 17-before they started doing "power trails" (I hadnt done it in a few years, just getting back into it now, so theres lots of new terminology!!).
    Some words of advice:
    Make it fun and interesting, no matter what. Its ALL about the journey. I have found some amazingly cool places through geocaching!!! And learned some new things along the way too.
    Be responsible-I usually take some extra ziplock bags, golf pencils, and tape, to fix up any caches that need it. I also remove junk (btoken toys) from any I find, so that its more enjoyable for the next person.
    Every person plays the game they want. Dont get caught up in a high cache count, or, if thats what you're going for, dont let others tell you you arent a "purist". Enjoy the time out, with family, or on your own. Its all about geocaching-however you describe it, is your own personal preference. And, you will likely evolve over time.
    Check the last 5 posts of a cache you are attempting BEFORE looking for it. I dont even want to tell you how many times I spent 20 minutes, hunting for a cache, that hadnt been found in months, but hasnt been archived yet. Some folks dont read the logs prior to searching, because they want the "pure" experience. Thats up to you. Me, I dont want to be rooting around the woods, looking for something that isnt there.
    One thing I have recently begun doing, is combining 'shrafting with caching. We go out, identify trees, plants, animal sign, etc-even practice making fires-while out in the woods. It combines the best of both worlds-and allows us to participate IN life, not view it through a social networking forum :).
    All this advice is from MY personal experience. Its an addictive, fun pastime. Play it how you feel. So long as you enjoy it, thats what truly matters. I would advise getting a premium account on geocaching.com, just so you can get access to even more caches. But, thats up to you. I have been one since 2002, and have been able to find members only caches in several states-and one in Cuba (that was archived, but I still found it!!!), when I was down there in 2004. Enjoy the game-and welcome to the club :)

17. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    All I have to say is welcome to the addiction... LOL

18. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One thing really cool about geocaching is I found parks and trails that are pretty close to where I live that I never knew existed. It is a great excuse to get out and hike some interesting trails. I did pick and choose which caches to go after. I always looked for those with scenic or interesting trails. I also looked for ones that used an unique hiding technique or reported as difficult to find. The last category I looked for was the puzzle caches. I had one of those that I went back four times and spent several hours to solve.

19. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the addiction!

[​IMG]

20. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    Here you go brotha
    http://coord.info/GC41P61

21. fishaholic

fishaholic Scout

Blog Posts:
    very cool, ive been wanting to get into this, need to get a GPS that will work.

22. MANIMAL

MANIMAL Guide

Blog Posts:
    just found out ,after getting an iphone upgrade, that i can get the app on my phone and not purchase a standalone GPS

the family takes its first trip out on TUES - hope my kids come home as happy as yours look up there!

23. JamWookie

JamWookie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    its a blast, alot of my friends use smart phones and they work fairly well.... some problems in hills of dense cover. I got a garmin oregon 450t and its def changed the way i geocache for the better....

24. Deadwood

Deadwood Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to you and your family to the addiction of geocaching! Good on ya for sharing the hobby with the RA's. Good clean fun and exercise.

25. Shnick

Blog Posts:
    Sweet! Thanks...

Looks like you got 3 finds already... LOL

26. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    yeah, but apparently my coordinates are off, lol Is there a way to edit them?

27. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Geocaching is great fun. Always good to see kids out having fun with it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

28. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Started caching in 2004 and got hook right away. The area in which i lived has a lot of forest preserves so being one to hike around it gave me something to do. Back when I started it took a while to get that first 1000 finds. But since the activity grew so fast in my area, you can most likely get many your first year. I only have just under 1700 finds and have pretty much stopped caching all together. My reasoning for this is that there are way too many urban caches, and I don't find it as enjoyable any more. My two buddies Michigan_chris has 32,542 finds & Salz69 has 25, 107 finds. That's what I call commitment!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  29. Shnick

Blog Posts:
    Yeah you can go into the cache page and edit the cache itself. If its a few meters off they'll let you make the change, but if its a larger amount (forget the exact distance) a reviewer has to re-approve it...

What did you use to get the coords? I like to use the averaging feature on my Garmin, my cell does the same thing but I have to email the coords, cant copy/paste into c:geo.
    Once averaging gets you under +/- 9 feet, you're good to go.

30. Woods Bexar

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro, I already edited the coordinates and they seem to be spot on now. I used a Magellan explorist GC to get the coordinates.

31. MoraMan

MoraMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just got my first cache the other day. It was in an urban setting. New years day is looking like a chilly but sunny day so far. going to plan a more rural hike/caching day with the fiance.