2017 BCUSA TN. Winter Bushcraft Meet- Feb 23rd through Feb 27th

Discussion in 'Events' started by T. Pollock, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    LOL, it took me a while to finish it and I didn't see you had posted by then!

Subdood and T. Pollock like this.
  2. T. Pollock

T. Pollock Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No worries brother, I'm just thankful for the help! Seems like I can blab on for ten minutes and still not say what I wanted to or meant to say. :8:

Subdood likes this.
  3. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I really don't have any "rules" for the meets I host, just common sense... be nice, stay safe, have fun!
    Here are some details from a list in the last meetup planning thread that might help with some questions some of you may have though.

What do I need to bring???

1. There will be a central fire pit for everyone to cook on if you choose.

2. Fishing is available as we'll be right on the Buffalo River and small game hunting will be allowed as well, as long as you have your license. You catch or kill it we'll cook it. :4:

3. Show & Tell with gear swap/trade/buy

4. God forbid we should need it but if anyone has health issues and perhaps to put your mind more at ease we'll be a short 15 minutes from the local hospital.

5. I've been asked about having a drink at the meet. I rarely ever drink and when I do it's only a single mixed drink before bed, that said I have no problem if others want to drink a beer or two while you're there or a bevarage before bed as long as it's kept within reason and you're not handling firearms while doing so. For those that don't drink and might have concerns, please know that if anyone starts to get out of hand with it that I'll have no issue whatsoever dealing with it. It will be kept safe and fun for everyone!

6. Please don't forget to bring your camp seats and an extra or two if you have one just in case anyone else forgets theirs.

7. If any of you have a weather resistant folding table you could bring it would be a great help.

8. Since the meet will be held on private property (my mother's land) to protect her and myself each participant will need to sign a liability release waiver when you arrive (unfortunate but necessary now days) and if you bring anyone under age the adult they come with will need to sign one for them as their responsible party. If any of you would like see or sign the waiver prior to the meet I'll be glad to email it to you.

Hopefully the link below will work if you'd like to see the release.
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachments/my-release-of-liability-1-pdf.326940/

9. A shooting range will be set up for those that would like to shoot firearms and shooting will be allowed as long as it's during a time that myself or @tennecedar are able to supervise the range. Again as a reminder no one that has been drinking alcohol will be allowed to handle or shoot firearms as the two are a very dangerous combination, if you plan to shoot that day... don't drink until afterward. I don't mean to be rude or ugly about this but my top priority is to make sure everyone there is safe and has a great time!

10. Members Fat Old Man, tennecedar and TN_Woodman are all great guys and friends of mine and have been at all my meets. If you need anything while at the meet and I'm not available see any of these guys and they will be glad to help you with anything you need.

11. Please bring your cameras so we'll have plenty of photos of the meet to share on the forum. We need to show those that didn't make it how much fun they missed out on.

12. Saturday at noon will be our main range time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I hadn't thought about this until a friend brought it to my attention today but if any of you know of any vendors that might like to come whether BCUSA or outside just let me know. As long as it's bushcraft related in some way that'd be great. No used car dealers! LOL :dblthumb:

Saturday at noon will be our main range time. Not that we won't be shooting at other times but Sat. will be the big bang. ;)

Subdood and tennecedar like this.
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Checking into porta-potty's for this meet rather than just a latrine & bucket loo like last time.

Subdood and tennecedar like this.
  6. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Was wondering if that might be an option, with the numbers getting big. I'd be happy to pitch in $$.

Then again, the slit trenches we used in the Army were pretty effective! [emoji14]

7. DCPugh

DCPugh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Heck I'd gladly pitch in money for the pottys and the meet in general.

8. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just give us a donation address, we'll take it from there

9. hamanky

hamanky Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Be more than happy to pitch in for expenses.

10. hamanky

Blog Posts:
    Tim I sent you a pm.

11. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    you bringing some wares, hamanky? :)

12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You guys are freakin' awesome!!! :) I know some of the larger meets require a registration/admission fee but that's just not something I want to do. There may be some that would love to spend a weekend in the woods but after paying for gas to get there, food, supplies etc. they may honestly not have an extra $10-$20 dollars for a registration fee. I want to keep these meets so that anyone who wants to have some fun in the woods for a few days with some super nice guys can do so without worrying if they can afford to pay to get in. I'm not sure how would be the best way to handle donations, maybe some of you have suggestions? I have a personal PayPal account but meet donations should probably be kept separate somehow so I can show where the funds went if anyone has any questions. I'm not sure if a person can set up more than one PP account or not?

Thanks guys!!!
    Tim

Subdood, hamanky and Chili like this.
  13. Chili

Blog Posts:
    I'll be honest Tim, I know you are putting, and will continue to put a lot of effort into arranging this. And that takes time and money. My intent was to paypal you some cash to help out, regardless, as we got closer to the date. I think that those of us with that ability would happily do so but I get where you are coming from, and would never expect or require anyone to do anything.. I have your address from the past, and honestly, I don't need to know what you do with the money. If you just pocket it, that is all well and good, since as I mentioned, I know you are expending money for this already. Even if it's just gas running back and forth on scouting missions. Or maybe buy lunch for the guys helping to scout and get the land prepped.

You do with it as you see fit. ;)

Broke, tennecedar, Subdood and 2 others like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!!!

Subdood and Chili like this.
  15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I spent far more than I had anticipated for the last meet but much of that was for things that will be used over and over for future meets and two or three of the guys did donate some funds. The thing is it's truly an honor for me to host these meets and my pleasure to do so. With the narc as much as I'd like to I can't travel to make other meets so it's a real treat for me to have folks come hang out and share some woods time with me!

Subdood, ra2bach, Chili and 1 other person like this.
  16. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Just know.. For my Secret Santa gift exchange I got some carving stuff. I am looking forward to the Kuksa carving instruction!!

I don't have any gouges, just a spoon knife. What do you recommend for digging out the bowl? Anything else I should strive to obtain before coming out? Not that I would expect to complete anything while out there, but would like to get a good start on something, and pick your brain.. Thanks!

17. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I've tried numerous things and honestly I'm still searching for the best way too. So far I prefer a gouge especially for hogging out the bowl. An Adze would be nice but I don't have one just yet. It can be done with just a spoon knife, it just takes longer. I'm looking forward to sitting around the campfire and carving a kuksa with you guys!

18. hamanky

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Chili 110%!! That's exactly what I was thinking also.

19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I have a plan for making the kuksa carving easier for everyone and will do my best to have everything ready for that. :dblthumb:

If you would like to carve a kuksa at the meet please let me know here so I can prepare for how many would like to do so and I'll start a list.
    With my lousy memory I have to rely on notes and lists. :8:

Kuksa Carving List:

1. Chili
    2. CoolBreeze135
    3. Tennessee (doesn't need a blank)
    4. DCPugh
    5. blind & lost

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  20. hamanky

Blog Posts:
    And yes Paul I think I can round up something to bring.

Paul Foreman and Subdood like this.
  21. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Gear Enthusiast, Friction Fire Addict Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh sweet! Add me to the list. I've been wanting to carve a kuksa, but the biggest issue for me is finding good wood to do so. All of the forested areas I visit prohibit cutting green wood.

Chili and T. Pollock like this.
  22. Tennessee

Tennessee Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Kuksa list please Tim. I may go buy a gouge, as I have a Woodcraft store here in town.

23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother!

Here's my info for anyone who would like to send some help for the meet. It's not easy to accept help even for something like this. :8:
    Thanks guys!!!

Tim Pollock
    511 Hayes Ave.
    Lawrenceburg, Tn. 38464

PayPal:
    pollock9131@charter.net

DCPugh and Subdood like this.
  24. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool I'll put you guys on the list.

I'll be providing the kuksa blanks. :dblthumb: all you'll need to bring are your carving tools and bandaids. :3:

25. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tim, I don't like the idea of registration fee. that sets you up as selling admission to an event, with all the issues that go along with that.

It pains me that you had to come out of pocket for the last rodeo. I wasn't aware that you had done this. going forward, I am pretty darn certain that with this group, passing the hat for "common" expenses will be more than enough...

26. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I don't either brother, and don't worry I don't ever plan to go the registration fee route. I'm not knocking those that do I'm sure it works fine for them, but I won't be doing it that way.
    Brother please don't feel bad about that at all! As I said above it's my pleasure and honor to do these meets and each person that attends is a blessing to me!!! I won't ever be asking anyone for money to come be my friend and share some woods time with me! LOL

hamanky and Subdood like this.
  27. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I fully understand. That's why I just do things like that without asking.. :p

That's how my family is. I cannot count how many times we have argued about accepting money for mutual purchases, dinners, things like that. The one wanting to give the money usually ends up just hiding it in their pocket or something, to find later. I have both hidden money on family members / friends, and have found money hidden for me. lol

That is how I feel comfortable about accepting your hospitality. The chronic anxiety I have is almost always tied around the feeling of 'indebtedness'. Not just financially, but in favors and hospitality and the like. It's also hard for me to accept things from others.

So, using this as an example, I know the effort it takes to host something like this as I have led our groups of friends on large camping trips in the past, and managed and coordinated everything. By you welcoming me to attend, I know that you are expending energy and resources, and that puts me in your debt. By me giving assistance (in this case monetary since I can't come over and help in person), I feel like we have both given some of our self, and taken some in return. In that case I can be comfortable and thoroughly enjoy the trip.

Hell, our best couple friends got married in Colorado last year and we intentionally got to town a day early just so we could help set everything up, decorate, etc. I even ended up running the music for the ceremony. :p And that made the whole visit much more enjoyable for me. :)

T. Pollock likes this.
  28. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I understand completely brother and I'm the same way. It's hard for me to accept anything but I love to give.

Chili likes this.
  29. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'm headed out to the property to do a little work this evening but I'll be back later guys.

Paul Foreman and Chili like this.
  30. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looking like a real love hootenanny fixin to go down! Sure hope I can make it. But sadly once again, not looking good for the home team. But we shall see!

T. Pollock and hamanky like this.
  31. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Maybe it will work out by then to where you can make it brother, would sure love to meet you and share some woods time.

Subdood likes this.
  32. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Got everything cleaned up from the previous base camp today. That particular little camp we had was on property that we have rented but it joins ours, the new base camp will be on our property. I strongly believe in leave no trace but especially since it was on rented property I wanted to be sure I left no trace that we were ever there.

TN_Woodman and Chili like this.
  33. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd really love to go to this. Its my work weekend and have to talk with the ole lady and see what the OT situation is at work wince if I take any time off it effects my OT for the whole month. I'd want to find someone driving up from FL or south GA though.

TN_Woodman and T. Pollock like this.
  34. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    We'd love to have ya join us bro, hope you can make it!

TN_Woodman and Usingmyrights like this.
  35. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup! T.Pollock is good folks! I'm not so sure his problem is as much from electricity as advanced age! :9: My kids call them "senior moments". -FOM

36. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Ah true... the old grey mule ain't as young as he use to be. LOL:4:

TN_Woodman and Fat Old Man like this.
  37. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I may have (not thinking it through clearly) over stepped myself a little bit here guys. :8: Since I don't have any blanks milled yet If 50 people are at the meet and want to carve one I'm not sure I can provide that many blanks as I only have so many logs. What I'll do is have as many available as possible and the first ones on the list to carve a kuksa will be those who get a blank until I run out. Sorry I didn't think that through better before hand guys. :8: If anyone wants to bring their own blank you're of course welcome to do that as well. I understand that where the wood comes from can be just as sentimental as making it yourself. If you harvest your own blank please coat the ends with hot wax to keep it as green as possible.

So if you want to carve a kuksa be sure to let me know so I can add you to the list... especially if you'd like a blank provided.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  38. Tennessee

Tennessee Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I don't need a blank @T. Pollock Cross me off. I just need to pick your brain on techniques and tools.

Subdood, TN_Woodman and T. Pollock like this.
  39. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Gotcha bud.

Tennessee likes this.
  40. WestTnScout

WestTnScout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Count me in Tim though I will probably only be able to do friday to sunday but it will depend on work at the time. As for the dates it really doesn't matter as long as I know at least a couple of weeks ahead of time.

I look forward to seeing everyone again.

41. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter

Blog Posts:
    but ,but ,what , if ,I want to carve a kuksa...out of already dry wood ? lol

T. Pollock likes this.
  42. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool, look forward to seeing ya again bro.

Unfortunately we can't all be as bad to the bone as you my friend. :dblthumb: I'm tender so I have to use green wood. LOL :4:

43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to edit post #2 (which was the contact list for the meet) guys and make it the details post to make all the important information easy to find for everyone rather than having to scan through the whole thread for important information. I'll keep it updated with any new details.

Thanks everyone,
    Tim

PS. If I've missed adding any details to post #2 that we've already covered guys please let me know.

44. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If anyone is coming from FL or south GA and might be willing to car pool please PM. I'd have to get the old ladies blessing and take some time off of work (which will probably be the easier of the two), so can't commit yet, but it'd be a whole lot easier if I could car pool. I'm about an hour from I-75 and I-10. I can of course meet someone further north or near I-95 or 295 in Jax.

Subdood, TN_Woodman and T. Pollock like this.
  45. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I know it's a random question, but is anyone that's gonna be at thing a master at hafting axes? I have an issue I'm trying to fix and could use some input.

TN_Woodman and T. Pollock like this.
  46. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Everyone at the meet could fix an axe... except Tim , and Chili if he comes

Subdood, FootPathOne, Chili and 5 others like this.
  47. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    :4:

FootPathOne and Keyser Söze like this.
  48. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I just want to see if I can salvage the current hang job. I've been successful at hafting smaller axes, but this is a cruiser bit on a 28'' handle and the head works loose no matter what I do.

Subdood, FootPathOne and T. Pollock like this.
  49. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'm confident someone there can hook ya up. :dblthumb:

50. Chili

Blog Posts:
    At least I'm in good company! :eek: