A little something around the belly wood

Discussion in 'Fire' started by Backyard, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had some recent success at finding fatwood, and some other experiences looking for fatwood. There are a few downed pines in an area of a local state park that allow harvesting downed trees. My son and I go there to spend some time in the woods and look for fatwood. For a couple of trips, we've found limbs that have about a 1/4 inch of resin packed in one area, but not what I would call fatwood, hence the title of the thread.

I've processed this material down to what you see below. 018295b3f57e08f51dcfa00ab8a8f93d60c69fb3fa.jpg

There is about a 1/4" of good stuff and some resinous wood to play with, it is about 6" long. I wanted to know if this would provide enough tinder for a single fire in weather.

Luckily, we had a little weather today.
    01915b30453fe2f2a30d753aa54d4920f0be994737.jpg

Just enough to make it interesting.

I did some prep, making scrapings from the good stuff, some curls from the wood, and a few pieces of pencil lead size to completely use up the stick

0180b6d2ededac8cf9f1f54b825ad5accffc4928f4.jpg

Hit the scrapings with a fero rod and added the curls, then a few of the pencil lead size pieces.
    019dce17c33b7fa7905fa15cec23590a6fe4e955c2.jpg

It will burn.

Fun way to warm up, and happy that the time learning to find fatwood, paid more than one dividend.

A few weeks after we found the stuff above, my son pulled this out of the ground.
    01e777d9aaa4e4bfaccde830364a1b07be6a9f5fd7.jpg

It's all fatwood. Still processing as I've gunked up every saw we have, some a few times.

actichy, Haggis, Badey and 20 others like this.
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice score on the stump!
    I have used pine wood that wasn't quite as resinous as fat wood and it will burn just fine.

Haggis, SmilinJoe, Coryphene and 2 others like this.
  3. morganbw

morganbw Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some of the not quite fatwood will accept a spark and burn with amazing vigor.
    It is usually what I use for practice and save the really saturated stuff for kit use.
    The stump looks like a great find.

4. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carve off all the less then ideal stuff and use it to light the fireplace or other fires around the house. I take the crazy saturated and store them in an airtight container (ziploc bags for small super saturated stuff and 5 gallon buckets for the rest). I usually take just one small stick in my fire kit for hiking and camping for "just in case" and usually end up bringing back 5lbs home.

That stump should last a seriously long time unless you use it for something like pine tar (which I have done as well for small items like axe handles).

The center of stumps where the tree trunk meets taproot, I've always found to be the most thoroughly saturated stuff in my area, but also the toughest to process down to stick size with the way the grain concentrates like an hour glass in the middle.

Looks great and show us a pic of the stuff once processed, we would love to see!

Haggis, Backyard and MrFixIt like this.
  5. nharbin1982

nharbin1982 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice hunk of fatwood, need to go find some soon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

6. clanmaki

clanmaki Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Like treasure hunting! We have so much of it around here but I still can't pass up any good chunks I find! Beautiful knife in the picture of shavings!

Backyard likes this.
  7. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been in the woods for the last couple weeks or so. Man, I gotta get back out there!

L8R,
    Matt

8. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice job. I'm still making my way through a 25 or 35lb box of fat wood I bought from L.L. Bean years ago for the fireplace.

Haggis likes this.
  9. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, my gift to myself after a promotion at work, Adventure Sworn Mountaineer. I think it is most likely 50% of what I have invested dollar wise in gear.

Haggis likes this.
  10. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    We had a 20 lb bag we purchased a few years before I started down this path. Once my son was old enough to swing an axe, all of a sudden, it disappeared. The new fire pit he got for his 16th birthday may have been a contributing factor.

Haggis likes this.
  11. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    Will do. I've only processed the easy so far. Just picked up the quart sized hand sanitizer for clean up.

Haggis and Coryphene like this.
  12. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's my favorite to use in the field. Love that stuff. Apply, wait a few seconds, wipe off. Just that easy!

Haggis and AnthemBassMan like this.
  13. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    @Coryphene

An update on progress on the stump.

I used an old bow saw, hatchet, and maul to get it into workable sections.
    01c96f4942696b8aebe97977eef576775ae0688926.jpg

Started with the straightest piece to make some sticks that will fit in a fire kit, and broke some of the more manageable pieces down.

01b3779598569b04c4bc5aa0c188ffe6bd199fcec7.jpg

010be028bf27bad1175a9a05d7cf3cdca49f536a8a.jpg

For reference the area of the bench with fatwood on it is 36", the bundle on the left side is 5" round and about 6" long. These will go into fire kits sooner than later. The pile on the right is the next batch that will get cut and battened. Based on the time this takes and everything else I have going on, I'm hoping to have the rest processed before the end of March.

I've started limiting the tools I'm using for this as it makes a proper mess. The bow saw is on it's 4th round of hand sanitizer, and still needs work. Still such a fun project. Sweeping up all the debris that is made and adding it to the fire makes me feel like a little kid, whoosh!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Coryphene likes this.