A Real Man

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by IamLegend, Jan 4, 2017.

1. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful machines. I think the one to have is the 310??? It's a heavy duty version. There's a whole cult of sewing machines out there.

IamLegend likes this.
  2. loveandall

loveandall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hope is alive! Not everyone is glued to a smart-thing-phone!

IamLegend likes this.
  3. Strngwlkr

Strngwlkr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in the garment industry. My Father worked for Redhead and then Levi's amongst other. I am a pretty decent machine mechanic having watched my Dad and his staff work on them over the years. Literally just a day or so ago I posted on FB that I found a 1941 SiIMANCO- that needed repair on the "Mechanics do it bet" page. It's actually a Scottish made 15-90. Took me a couple of hours to get it going but it works FABTASTIC! It's sits next to my Pfaff overlock, Rex walking foot and now I have a hand cranked Singer

IMG_0265.JPG

Even has the original case in good shape- $50 at a pawnshop

4. IamLegend

IamLegend Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Heck of a good buy there!

loveandall likes this.
  5. Strngwlkr

Blog Posts:
    For those who this thread may have ignited a yearning to do some learning and now want a machine...hit up estate sales, 2nd hand stores and the occasional pawn shop. If the darn thing is so heavy you almost gotta use two hand to lift it---that's a good start! Old "White", Old Singer machines are good. If you can find old Phaff's or Bernina---those are a bonus. I almost bought a Bernina last summer for $40 -the wife talked me out of it though.

Once you find your machine, oil it up (NO 3in1) use good machine oil...SPARINGLY! Not too Surprisingly, most of the time the older machines don't jump timing amd will work fine. When you were at the second hand store finding the machine, grab some old sheets, curtains or even khaki pants for the material to learn to sew on.

If the machine you purchase does require adjustment, and you don't live near Brandon SD where I can fix it for you, find a good shop-not just one that advertises---a goood shop. Seek out the "hard core quilters" in your area. These people do NOT mess around amd will point you usually in the right direction.

You will be surprised at what you can accomplish on a basic machine in good working order and properly set up. Even the little 15-90 I just fixed will sew light weight leather to canvas amd will sew 6ply of painters cloth canvas without a dropped stitch.

Hope this helps- no intention of hi-jacking the thread

MrFixIt, loveandall, chndlr04 and 5 others like this.
  6. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Your not hijacking. We're here for the discussion right... I'm out the door tho to use some of the stuff I sewed the other day in an overnighter.

loveandall likes this.
  7. Strngwlkr

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the affirmation.
    I am always amazed at the machines I find in estate or 2nd hand stores. An older person, grand parent/aunt-uncle....someone who grew up during WWII or there A puts, passes on and the family has NO idea what they've got just that they can't use it or it's not the latest and greatest so AWAY it goes.

When Inlived in Okcty I would find machines all the time at garage sales for $5-$10. I would get them in good working order-put together some basic bits and pieces (needles, pins thread(s) ) and then gave them to a woman who worked at a shelter. She would in turn teach people how to use them and give them away. When she retired-no one else knew how to do it.
    Dang sad

loveandall and IamLegend like this.
  8. Barry J

Barry J Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice video, but needed more gun play.
    Just kidding. Congratulations on a beautiful family! Nice work on those stuff sacks.

loveandall and IamLegend like this.
  9. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Well just a few of my 11 kids were present in the movie but thanks for the compliment!

Barry J likes this.
  10. theDuck

theDuck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I sew as well. I have 2 industrials, 2 short arm treadles, a domestic plus a serger. I compare sewing to my metal working shop. In my shop I use a torch, band saw or plasma cutter to cut steel and use my welder to join it together into useful objects. In my sewing room, fabric is my steel, scissors are my torch, band saw and plasma cutter and the sewing machines are my welder. I still use welding terms like running a bead for a line of stitching.
    Sewing is just one more self reliance skill like being able to build a fire or a shelter.

11. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Very well said! I like your description and outlook. Thanks for the reply!

Barry J likes this.
  12. Strngwlkr

Blog Posts:
    Spot FREGGIN' on!
    Duck- you rock

IamLegend likes this.
  13. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Agreed!

14. WoodyGraham

WoodyGraham Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I explained to my wife that being able to sew is a manly skill...as I asked her to teach me.

IamLegend likes this.
  15. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Not a thing wrong with that! Good for you!

16. Cattle Bandit Lawson

Cattle Bandit Lawson Scout

Blog Posts:
    exactly, anytime someone questions if I am joking about sewing all my own camping gear and insulated jackets, I alike it to building a house, because clothing is just as much a shelter as building a house, and a sewing machine takes the same coordination as a tablesaw, chopsaw and has it's own set of building code. certainly sewing back before machines was a woman hobby for those who watched over the house and had sit around time to be productive, but these days you get a better product if you build it yourself.

IamLegend likes this.