Alaknak Waterproofing DIY Recipes??

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by greensngravy, Jun 9, 2015.

1. greensngravy

greensngravy Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Ive been searching the interwebs for a DIY formula and found the "silnylon" recipe that is a mix of mineral spirits and pure silicone in various ratios, depenfing on whether you are sealing the seams or rolling it onto the tent. Since this formula seems tk work well with nylon, would it not also follow that it would make an effective waterproofing recipe for the Alaknak x-treme polyester 250 denier oxford fabric?

I have already removed the old, peeling seam seals and am ready to paint this baby. Any experience on this subject out there? Scott

2. gargoyle

gargoyle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Chances are that your fabric is poly urethane coated and not silnylon.
    The mixture of mineral spirits and sil does not work well with PU fabric.
    Look for a poly urethane seam sealant, sold at most outdoor stores.

3. greensngravy

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. The existing coating appears to have a rubbery consistency as opposed to a flaky consistency like polyurethane. It doesn't flake off but can be stretched or pulled off with a little effort. Does that mean it is a silicone coating? And if so, would the mineral spirits/silicone recipe be effective?

4. gargoyle

gargoyle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Heavy fabrics like 250d are typically PU coated. That's what I'm basing my opinion on. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer or look at any tag on your gear. Or check the web for details of the specific fabric you have.

PU and silnylon are two completely different fabrics. And each uses a certain type of sealant.

5. greensngravy

Blog Posts:
    My other big question is: Do you apply the waterproofing on the outsde of the tent, or the inside? I have applied silicone to the inside wall seams which worked very well, but will wait to see what you guys suggest for applying waterproofing on the rest of the tent. Thanks, Scott

6. greensngravy

Blog Posts:
    I have also heard that many outfitters use Thompsons water seal?

SMLE Guy likes this.
  7. greensngravy

Blog Posts:
    Well, I painted the outside top of my Alaknak with the mineral spirits/pure silicone mix and it adhered and penetrated very well. I bought an old Hamilton Beech mixer at the goodwiil and it took about 45 seconds to blend the mix to a ketchupy consistency. Used a 4" wide natural fiber paintbrush. Slathered up the seams very well, and the tent now has a nice silicone sheen on it. Just waiting for it to cure and I expect a full downpour in the next few days, so I will keep you posted!!

8. greensngravy

Blog Posts:
    Withstood last night's storm with flying colors!!