Another go-round...

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Rider, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    I honestly hate making another thread under, "edged tools" just because there is a billion, even though it's my favorite section :7: yet I do have a wondering...And possibly a stupid one, yet I shall ask nevertheless...

Is there any real use for a neckknife? When bushcrafting I have a chopper on my pack and a small(4inch blade, usually) cutter on my belt...

...Yet I lust after the BHK Frontier Valley(anyone have one?), but I need to justify it, because I admit that I am a knifeaholic. So, what does everyone think? Is there any use in any way for a neckknife?

At work I carry my BHK bushcrafter on my belt, but rarely use it because it is strapped in by the lanyard through the ferro rod, which is in turn strapped in...So it's a pain in the arse if I need it quickly, which I usually do.

Penny for your thoughts? :38:

2. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    a lot of times the knife on my neck is much easier to access - and put back - than the one on my belt....

There's really little a small blade can't do. not really. It just takes patience and some understanding.

from my Grandfather cleaning all his game with a 2" knife...to seeing the vids on the PSK blades dressing deer and hogs...it's just another option.
    one that's with ya as long as you have your neck. :D

3. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I dunno... I bought a neck knife even though I have a multiple belt knives and usually carry an axe or other chopper. I don't know if there's a "need" for one exactly, but I sure wanted one :D

For now at least my plan is to use my neck knife on trips where I bring a big knife, and leave it at home when I'm carrying a belt knife instead. I don't see needing a knife on my belt AND on my neck most of the time, but a small sharp necker is a nice companion when I'm carrying a machete or other chopper in my pack. Another nice use - the necker is easier to get to than a belt knife in if you're wearing a pack with a hipbelt.

4. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, yes....That's where all my thoughts were going towards as well, with the necker being easier to get at...

5. Raider197500

Raider197500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My name Is Cary and im a knifeaholic also i feel your pain

6. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:

I believe you have made your own case.....

A small neck knife is just so handy that pocket folder or belt hung fixed blades really never get a chance if you have a nice neck knife.

Out of the sheath one handed, cut, back in the sheath....two blinks of your eye.

No rummaging around, squirming so you hand can sort out a pocket knife, or moving your coat or vest out of the way to grab a belted blade....nope, out, cut, in....done.

Hang the neck blade on a comfortable lanyard and shazam, all your other knives get a well deserved rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Irishgrouch

Irishgrouch Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You cant have enough blades in my opinion, I know, I need a 12 step program. I carry my eskabar in the field all the time. Alot of it, IMHO, comes down to personal preference.

8. bclark

bclark Scout

Blog Posts:
    wheni fly fish i only carry my neck knife which is incidentally the frontier valley love that knife. i throw the belt knife in my pack so it stays dry whilst i wade(hopefully) and i lost a belt knife in a river once so the neck knife is perfect.

9. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I like one in the winter time when I am not wearing a belt

10. Trail Dust

Trail Dust Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really some fine looking kangaroo braiding on that neck lanyard, Schwert! The terminal knot and/or slip looks really interesting, too. Not a bad knife either (great envy). :)

11. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll play the wet blanket!

I don't dig neck knives. I don't feel comfortable with sharp objects near my heart and throat, hanging by something that could possibly choke me if I slip and fall, or hang me somehow!

12. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    I used to be of the philosophy that neck knives were basically a defensive back up blade, and that's how I looked at them for ages. Awhile back I started using a Mora as a neck knife as the sheaths were garbage on a belt and I slowly became a convert to using neck knives as more utilitarian go to blades as well as backups. I have a Becker BK14 Eskabar that I do wear as a belt knife in a leather sheath. The majority of it's time is spent in it's kydex and around my neck with a few other go to items, should I end up in a bind separated from gear, a got some options.

13. longspring

longspring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have carried an ag Russell woods walker in the neck sheath for a few years now. I love it while hunting and fishing, because it is easier to get to than a belt knife in a kayak or tree stand. It is also the perfect size for cleaning squirrels and trout. Joe

14. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mi
    I had a Meyer Necklance. Hated it. Too small for my hand. Gave it to my teenage daughter who loves it...but then, she is gaga over any sharp chunk of steel...watch out boys! HAHAHA!

I sling my Mora around my neck usually...it's kind of a testing phase. I'm undecided if I like it or not yet. Nice because it's easy to get to. Not nice because it gets in my way sometimes.

I guess it's just a personal thing. Some do, some don't.

15. Trail Dust

Trail Dust Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a goodly amount of neck knives that have filtered in over the years; carbon, stainless, all sorts of grinds, sizes and shapes. I don't usually wear them in the summer months because I simply don't like anything around my neck when it is warm outside. I do like them during colder temperatures when worn between a couple of shirts/jacket/coat/vest and the knife is supremely "get-at-able" when compared with the belt knife buried under layers of top garments.

The BHK Frontier Valley makes for a fine neck knife, as well as the large or small Tiger Knapp. I have a BHK "Long Trail" that I made a neck sheath for. A small, light weight knife with roundish Micarta scales for comfortable use and carry.

I still carry my old NRGS because it packs so flat against the body, light weight, plenty of blade length for the hikers camp kitchen, and most of all, the JetScream whistle on the sheath lanyard is right there so I can give whistle commands to my dogs. :) Mini survival items under the sheath Ranger band.
    [​IMG]

16. Thaddius Bickerton

Thaddius Bickerton Guide

Blog Posts:
    The knives that ya'll call belt knives I usually put a ring / dangler thing on and a cord and hang em around my neck under my shirt.

handier for me to reach, and the weight doesn't seem to bother me.

I have done this with knives up to something like a buck 119.

Beyond that it gets a frog, stuffed in the belt or attached to my pack / possibles bag / messenger bag / gun bag.

17. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks TD....I put up my tutorial for one of these braids here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60526

These are fun and functional.

18. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    I'm the same way I tried it took a piece of cord did my Mora sheath around my neck and flat out hated it. For 1 thing the part about having a sharp object near my chest that always bothered me second I cant stand it bouncing against me either. Just not my thing but to each their own on that

19. anubis1335

anubis1335 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    anubaeobscura
    I used my becker necker as my bush blade a loooong time. Also makes a dang fine barley pop bottle opener too.

I have that jk ky fieldmatethat i had john make the sheah as a necker sheath. I like neck knives...keeps em handy and helps prevent loosing them

20. sadiejane

sadiejane Scout

Blog Posts:
    yes, yes indeed, you need a neck knife. do not fight it, surrender and grab up one(or a dozen) now. you will feel better and you will use it often!

21. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    ...I surrendered :54: Pics coming soon! :5: