Anybody heard of S.O.L.?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by SwissArmyKnife, Dec 26, 2012.

1. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    The SOL stands for Survive Outdoors Longer. I've got a couple of their products in the store but none of us has used them.
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with them what you think. I'd like to buy one of their combo kits (link below) but their kinda pricey.
    http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/origin.php
    [​IMG]
    I know I can make a comparable kit for alot less but I'd still like to know about the brand and quality.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The sparker is halfway decent. One handed operation is neat.
    The compass does its job, but so does the one on my wristwatch, it's identical.
    The signal mirror is sheet metal and can distort the light.
    The knife/whistle/light is a cheap stainless cutting tool, I rolled tghe edge on mine making curls with River Birch.
    The cordage is the cheap 3 strand stuff you see in dollar stores.
    Tinder is good, although there isn't much in the kit.
    Silicone gasket is nice, but will also trap water inside the case. I wouldn't trust it for submergence.
    ABS goes brittle in the cold.
    Stailess wire is about 3 ft long. Again, not much there.
    Buck's tips for survival are good points, but vaugely relevant to every environment out there.

3. kyak

kyak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the SOL bivy bag works awesome to keep warm in and /or slip over your sleep system!! Packs very very small.

4. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a couple of their $15 survival medic pouches for car kits a while back - the components aren't the best, but they're also not the worst and I'd have spent more building something comparable due to the amounts I would have needed to buy on some of the ingredients.
    [​IMG]

Of course I understand that in their mind SOL means Survive Outdoors Longer -- but when I was younger, it meant something completely different. I occasionally wonder if they did it on purpose.

5. injun51

injun51 Guide

Blog Posts:
    You could make a much better kit with stuff laying around your house. I'd pass.

6. phntmsoul

phntmsoul Tracker

Blog Posts:
    the sparker is ok, need to figure out angles for it to be effective though, havent tried it in the cold yet (yes i know shame on me) so cold or numb fingers could be an issue to it, but the one handed operation could be a bonus given circumstances. The tinder is pretty good i do like them, small handy and a half way decent burn time

7. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think SOL is a new name or owned by AMK. I have the Sparklite and it does work but not much better than my empty modified Bic. The tinder works but if that runs out (you can get more than one fire per piece) you will be working those Band-Aids over to catch the spark. Granted there are natural tinder that will ignite but a larger fire steel will do that job so much better and wouldn’t take up much more room than the Sparklite. Not sayin it is bad and will work one handed but just tossing out my views. The AMK/SOL survival sheets are nice. I have two of the AMK/SOL bivy bags but keep them for ER hiking stuff. Kinda want a "SPORT UTILITY BLANKET".

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. Metalguy

Metalguy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They pretty much just package things for convenience. I think their bivy sacks are ok for emergency, but I wouldn't bank on them all the time. I do carry an AMK kit myself and I like it. But, I think their SOL line of stuff is kinda cheap. There's better stuff out there beware of commercialized flashy stuff that looks convenient.

9. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think you are correct, it looks like it's the new name for the survival product side of Adventure Medical Kits.

10. RABCarver

RABCarver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Their emergency blankets and bivvys are good.
    I haven't bothered with anything else on that side of the brand.
    I just put my own kits together with what I know works and am comfortable with.

11. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    As most have already mentioned, one can build a better kit! My wife in her best intentions bought me the knife whistle, light combo as a stocking stuffer.
    I would not have wasted my money (would never tell her) It's neat concept and would be better than nothing but the functionality of any single component
    is kinda lame! The whistle isn't loud (better than no whistle) the knife is sharp and does lock but doesn't look very strong (again better than nothing) and the flashlight would be better than matches but most likely is useless past 12 inches. All of these items are items I carry every day!!! So I'm guessing it will go into a kit somewhere!

12. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I almost bought one of their two person survival blankets the other day but I remembered this thread and thought better on it. Still may as it is less than $3, but I'll simmer on that for a bit longer.

13. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    SOL is a brand from AMK. I carry one of their survival blankets and like it quite a bit. Same size as a cheapo space blanket that will rip on the first use and much more durable. I beat mine up a bit in this video and it is still perfectly fine. I have seen on here at least one guy who slept in their bivy overnight and liked it. Can't speak for the kits and things they all seemed to cheesy and cheap for me yes.

[video=youtube;Q8STv-IFRPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8STv-IFRPE[/video]

14. cobra

cobra Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm with Cellis on this one. I think AMK is the originator and SOL is the name of a product line, but I'm not particularly fond of the SOL products - especially their pre-made kits. I do, however, like the AMK/SOL bivvy(s) and blankets.

15. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    All the reason you mention is the exact same reason I prefer to build my own kit - I can put in the quality and quanity of each item I want and my little Altoids kit never leaves my side.

16. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree that someone with the time and inclination can assemble a better "survival kit" on their own than most any storebought kit. But for people who are prone to buying pre-assembled kits (maybe the vast majority of consumers) the AMK/SOL kits seem better than most cheap kits. They were designed in consult with Doug Ritter, a noted survival consultant and knife designer. One of the kits includes the tiny PSK knife he designed, which is a pretty decent mini fixed blade.

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_index.htm

I have one of the AMK bivies and it's a decent product, useful as a compact warm-weather sleeping bag all by itself or a emergency shelter.

17. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't know anything about the company or their products. But the name (S.O.L.) is likely a reference to the old military accronym which meant:

S**t Out of Luck

18. Canadian Woodsman

Canadian Woodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Personally I'd pass on the kits. Not only can you make your own kit with better quality stuff, but it's much more fun thinking about what to put in it based on your needs and collecting all the bits and pieces.

19. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I admit, the biggest reason I wanted one was the cool factor. It was shiny and had lots of gizmos and I'm a bit of a sucker for that. Glad I didn't succumb to its allure. Thanks.

20. chiefs50

chiefs50 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Yup, make up your own.

21. Quill

Quill Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah when I saw the name that is exactly what I thought. When my life depends on something I don't want to be SOL. I have already been there to many times and don't want go back. Next thing they will come with is an emergency ration called SOS.

22. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    the bags are good - just wished they did a subdued version

23. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I recall when Doug was being consulted for these, initially. For a pre assembled kit, they are decent. Yes, you can put together something better. But, for those people who but these, then throw them in their car, they aren't bad. I see no need for a fishing kit, but almost all small kits of any sort contain them. This brand is the only pre assembled one I've ever used though, and it wasn't a bad little kit :)

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

24. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Fishing kits can be used for more than just catching fish - they can also be used for catching small game and with a good needle the fishing line can be used to make repairs to clothing and tents.

25. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Agreed-but, the quality of the kit is reflected in its primary use. A needle & thread takes up MUCH less space, and will function as an ad hoc fishing kit-but, primarily, can be used to sew, or for light lashings, etc. My personal experience, I use a needle & thread MUCH more out in the woods than a fishing kit-and, as I recall, this kit comes with a needle (I dont have it with me currently, but, I do seem to recall it coming with one). As to using the hooks as game hooks-I have seen this technique demonstrated, but havent seen it in use as of yet. With the exception of catching small birds, and possibly small animals, due to the frailty of the line, a fishing kit is really designed to fish-and can ADAPT to other situations, but, there are better tools for that.
    One thing a fishing kit DOES do, in a survival situation, is kill time, and present the illusion of you doing something to stay alive. But, its a rare instance that people expire due to lack of food-its usually the elements that kill them. Hence, I no longer pack any sort of fishing kit. I do take needle, thread, and wire-which, again, could be adapted for use as one-but these will get more use for their intended purpose, than a fishing kit will (and they pack smaller too). If I'm gonna fish, I'm gonna take a pole, and tackle :).
    But, this is just my experience-I have nothing AGAINST fishing kits in survival kits-if I have extra room, I would stuff more tinder in there, rather than fishing tackle.
    That being said, I DO have a small hand fishing kit I keep in my jeep, and throw in my pocket occasionally. But, thats because I enjoy fishing. Sometimes, I just find a place I HAVE to try a line in. And, typically, I usually strike out. But, hey, thats what happens sometimes :)

26. jsonfl090

jsonfl090 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ive only dealt with their escape bivy, and after using it for a while i love it, its small, light, and plenty big for just about anybody, and it has alot of different uses