August 2014 Monthly Project - Atlatls

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by exohead, Aug 1, 2014.

1. exohead

exohead Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey everybody. Sorry I'm a couple days late. Been busy the last couple of days. So, this month we're going to try something really interesting: atlatls. So, for those of you who don't know what an atlatl is, take a look at the following video:
    [video=youtube;IVZBZBKE4yA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVZBZBKE4yA[/video]
    There's literally tons of info out there on this, specifically on YouTube and on Google, so go take a look. You're bound to find a set of instructions that you can follow.

So, here's the challenge: By your own hands, build an atlatl and at least one dart (you may use modern archery arrowheads instead of knapped arrowheads if you wish). Here's the kicker, you then have to shoot the atlatl at a target (range is your choice, but I'd like to see somebody do it from 25 yards or greater) and preferably hit the target. Nothing bad happens if you don't hit it, but try to hit the target.

When you've done this, try changing some things around to see if you can improve the basic design at all. Be sure to post and show us what you come up with!

Also, as a small post-script, my try stick is underway at the moment. Life got in the way and I wasn't able to finish it in time. I'll get it done up and post it over at the try stick post for those of you to see it if you'd like.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. Tyranta

Tyranta Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Ever since I first saw an atlatl being used I thought it would be neat to try. Hopefully I'll have time to do my take on one this month. Looks like a cool project.

3. Brewton

Brewton Scout

Blog Posts:
    Kept breaking my try stick but I'll get one finished and the atlatl sounds like a goodun thanks :dblthumb:

4. Brentski

Brentski Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been curious about these things for years. I am going to try this one. Doubt my first attempts will hit a target smaller than a barn, but it'll be fun to try.

5. R Stowe

R Stowe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've already tried my hand at one, but my branch selection had some flaws. I'll definitely be looking for a little time to find another.

6. leatherstocking

leatherstocking Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very cool, just found this thread and kind of late for me to get going on this for this month I think, plus I just started the bushclasses and it is really occupying my time. I will keep an eye out for next months project. Anyway, the atlatl is awesome, I believe that Montana even has a special season where you can hunt big game legally with one. Maybe some of the Montana guys could shed some light on that, seems I read about that a few years ago. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Sundog

Sundog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Missouri and it is legal here to hunt deer, most small game and non-game fish.

8. Sundog

Sundog Tracker

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  9. exohead

exohead Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I'm impressed! Very nice work! Things might be a little late for next month, as a heads up to you guys. I'm in the middle of a move at the moment, and may not be available through the first week of next month. I'll keep y'all posted!

10. Tyranta

Blog Posts:
    Nice work Sundog! Is that a duct tape fletching? Your whole setup looks good.

11. Sundog

Sundog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Yeah, I got impatient and just went with the duct tape. I couldn't find any feathers that were long enough.

12. Tyranta

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting to try one of these ever since I saw it on the tv show Top Shot. Thanks for the push to get it done! As I stated earlier in the thread I was going to try to do mine out of PVC...my material of choice as of late. This is basically inspired by The Backyard Bowyer.

To shape the barb I cut the PVC down at an angle and then flattened it.
    [​IMG]

Here it is all shaped up with the dart sitting on it
    [​IMG]

The dart is a 48" 3/8" dowel (cedar I think) with duct tape fletchings. The tip is just shaved down to a point...I might want to consider a different tip, but this works for now.
    [​IMG]

I had a lot of fun throwing this thing around, and my 7 yo son loved it too. I was lucky enough to hit the box a few times, but missed more times than not. What I couldn't believe, was with the right angle I actually launched the dart 80 yds! I did not expect it to be able to go that far, I was amazed and so was my buddy!
    [​IMG]

13. Stenberg

Stenberg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Way to go Tyranta! Sounds like a great father son activity and well done on crafting your modern atlatl. I'd also let me to send Sundog some deserved props on his more traditional version