Baby steps toward "cold weather" camping success

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by NJHeart2Heart, Dec 20, 2016.

1. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart "NJ Chatty Girl" :) Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ah yes, I've discovered the delights of reflectix - it's light and shiny and purports to help keep me heated... I haven't tested the theory yet, but I'll put that on my list ;) In the meantime, I do carry one with me when I have used my sleeping bag/pad :)
    2jka and Fat Old Man like this.
  2. DarrylM

DarrylM Scout

Blog Posts:
    You got to camp in under the Christmas tree! Good planning!
  3. 66drifter

66drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    lotsa good trails, above, some easier to take than others...

the sleeping togs is one that needs refining for YOUR taste/$

CLEAN & DRY are critical

SMARTWOOL merino wool products are quite skin friendly and can be your best friend

they come in many thicknesses and purposes

socks & head gear are the most critical IMHO

consider a full coverage balacava w/ just a tiny hole for your face/nose

as mentioned above CEAN & DRY EVERY NIGHT

the THERMAREST 3.5"-4" CAMP BED is my goto in the winter on top of a CCF pad and/or wool rug in the tepee

REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad

it is important to adjust the pressure so your hips n elbows don't bottom out while on your side or you WILL roll off

i pressure it up, lie down on my side and release air until just b4 i bottom out

if i'm M/C ground or hammock camping in the winter i goto my EXPED to reduce pack size & weight

Exped SynMats 9 Pump DLX Sleeping Pad | | Campmor

same inflation regime as the THERMAREST

Exped also makes a down filled unit which is warmer though more $$

being on the ground is warmer than on a cot, hard to swallow butt true

BACK n KNEE issues plague many of us and the only thing i would add in this post would be to sleep with a pillow between your knees to get some relief there(i even have to do this when sleeping in motels or at friend's homes where i don't have my MEMORY FOAM bed

both the EXPED & THERMAREST products can be adjusted to duplicate my home bed's comfort

factor in my HENNESSEE SAFARI DELUXE hammock and i sleep even better

https://hennessyhammock.com

HAMMOCKFORUMS has a huge amount of information on HANGING and can save you countless hours of re-inventing the wheel

Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective - Hammock Camping News and Announcements

this information is a compilation of mental notes of an old fat man who didn't get that way by working hard or being un-comfortabe

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR QUEST
    rsnurkle and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  4. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a lot of experience in both cold weather and sleeping!

For the cold:

Empty your bladder before you go to bed. Sounds strange but it will go a long ways to keeping you warmer at night. It takes a lot of heat to keep that volume of liquid at body temperature so if its not there in the first place, that heat can radiate elsewhere.

Wear some warm clothes to bed. Consider your clothing as part of your sleep system.

Sleep next to a fire! Cant be overstated enough. Build a small fire and sleep close opposed to a large fire and sleeping far away. No reason to be cold at night if you can make a fire.

For comfortable sleep:

If you have back pain, try sleeping on the floor on a regular basis.
    My back used to hurt every day when I woke up, at 28 that is not acceptable. I switched to sleeping on the floor full time and threw out my bed. I use no mattress, no thermarest pad, all I sleep on is a thin blanket (fleece sleeping bag liner so thin you can see through it) to keep me off the carpet and a cougar hide on top of that. I've been floor sleeping for a little under a year now and have had NO back pain since.
    The first few days was a little uncomfortable but now I sleep better than I ever did.

I realize this might seem drastic and it's probably not an option for everyone but I highly suggest you try it out if even for a few nights. The more adapted to sleeping on a hard surface you are, the better you will sleep when out on trips.
    It's sort of like hiking. If you have never hiked but only a few times you're not going to be up for hiking the AT end to end. You go on shorter trips to get your body used to walking long distances for long periods of time. Same goes for sleep! Get your body acclimated to sleeping without excessive softness and your nights will be much more enjoyable. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.
    DavidJAFO and Flint_2016 like this.
  5. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cot can be warmer if you use a hammockers style insulated underblanket and enclose the whole cot in a wind cover
    This is what I did last winter and it is amazingly warm
  6. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    No wonder the mountain men didn't live long LOL.They had to hunker down each winter in basic shelters and near freeze their butts off.I'm in my early 60's and think winter camping should be left to younger guys and gals.A canvas tent with a wood stove sounds more my speed.And canvas doesn't have the moisture issues at least that's what I've heard.
  7. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tip on Reflectix.You can get it off ebay,24"x10' piece for $18.47 free shipping.I'm gonna order a piece at that rate.
    Reflectix REFLECTIX BP24010 24"x10' Foil Insulation | eBay
  8. SniperSurvivalist

SniperSurvivalist Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Flint_2016 likes this.
  9. Treeshadow

Treeshadow Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Love my hammock, for me I look for more opportunities to get in it rather than on the ground even with a pad. This has given me new life in the woods. I just turned 61 and this lady will be going into the woods here in Jersey at the end of January! Check out the Hammockforums.Com tons of info. (For the OP)
    rsnurkle likes this.
  10. Treeshadow

Treeshadow Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    At our last "hang" we had 60 and 1 ground dweller. This will be car camping for most of us, tons of food. We will be in Wharton State forest. You are welcome to bring your tent. Most of us have extra underquilts if one wants to test out a hammock.

Let me know I'll give details esp. For a fellow Jersey girl. :)
  11. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Would it be dumb to put a foam pad, (non-inflatable), on top of reflectix, on the ground, or do you need airspace?
  12. wheelmanron

wheelmanron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will also vote for the hammock. I rigged up a sort of underquilt system by threading some cheap shock cord through the short ends of a poncho liner, threading that through the corner grommets of a Graber space blanket, silver side in, and attaching that under my hammock by the carabiners on the support straps. then, a wool blanket over me, and a tarp strung above the hammock. WAY warmer than I thought it would be. And my back feels GREAT after a night in my hammock!
  13. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nope! Do it, easy up grade.
    blind & lost likes this.