Backpacking pet peeves......

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Papa, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My big pet peeve when out and about is running into someone on the trail or in the woods. I like feeling secluded when I'm out. When I hear voices it just ruins my day. And traffic...I don't like traffic.....

2. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seeing other people doesn't bother me. They have just as much right to be there as I do. I don't want to see the garbage that others leave, especially toilet paper. I have seen that a lot more in the the Boundary Waters lately.

3. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't so much mind seeing people as I do homeless people that have chosen to squat on a piece of land and then think they have some sort of claim to it.
    Some of them get very pushy and demanding. Almost had to put one guy down on a fishing trip a buddy and I took up to Mount Hood one spring. Made for a very tense weekend to say the least.

4. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I'm not too crazy about litter either.

5. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Exactly why I try to frequent more secluded areas...

6. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I get annoyed when I see fire rings all over the place away from camp sites. There is no reason to make a ring of rocks for your fire. If you are camping off trail then please don't make a fire ring or disassemble it after! I have hiked up some very remote river/creek canyons and found fire rings that were so old that they didn't have any coals left in them, but they are going to remain there forever or until someone disassembles them. It makes the experience feel less wild and remote.

I also don't like when people wear extremely bright clothing that burns your eyeballs just by looking at it.

I hate trash as well. One of the most common things I see is people throwing their tin cans into a fire pit and leaving them there.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    People are everywhere in the Adirondacks I try to go in on a wed or Tue to fend off the weekend peak baggers

8. aldern.i

aldern.i Tracker

Blog Posts:
    bright colors, bums, trash

Bright colors are okay I don't mind. people poach and have private land bordering state land where I'm from and wearing bright clothing is very smart especially if you are hiking on state land that also allows hunting. I personally don't wear bright colors except when hiking on state land during those grey times in between seasons and I try to always wear them when I'm trail running.

I never see bum.

And I hate hate hate litter, including spent shells, foam worm containers, beer cans, stupid energy wrappers, cigarette butts etc...

9. Joe Willson

Joe Willson Guide

Blog Posts:
    So, if you guys came across a brightly dressed homeless guy talking to himself and putting toilet paper and other trash into a fire ring he just built, it would REALLY ruin your day...

10. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    My biggest pet peeve, is untrained dogs off leashes. I like dogs, don't get me wrong. I don't mind a well trained dog off the leash either. What I do mind is spastic dog with little to no training off their leashes running up and down the trail the owner screaming at them etc.

I have some sympathy for the dogs, they are happy to finally be out and enjoy nature it is not really their fault, but the owners I tend to bitch out for their irresponsibility and lack of concern for other hikers. More than once I have been confronted by unleashed spastic dogs who seemed ready to try an attack me. A few tossed rocks in the dogs direction and a smack on the ground in front of them with my walking stick drove the dog off. When I finally came upon the owner I had some words with them about how they need to train or leash their dog.

Another peeve or issue I have, folks barging into a campsite unannounced and uninvited. A little camping etiquette goes a long way, if your coming up on another's camp announce yourself. "Ho, camp" or even just a "hello there" goes quite a ways in making the other folks feel more comfortable with you coming for a visit. Important thing though, don't over stay your welcome, if your not invited to stay then don't. Say hello, ask any questions needed, and move on. Don't assume that you can just hang out with someone because your both out camping. If invited to stay and hang out then if you feel like it stay and hang, but let the camp your in invite you to stay don't just make yourself comfortable and occupy their space.

11. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    -Trail etiquette is all but dead it seems its a free for all its a little better up above the Timber line and no Problem when you are off trail just Cruising
    -people leavin wag bags
    -Horses not having to use them lol
    -any officials that blouse their boot
    - Rangers and Scouts that dont wear the Hat or uniform properly Never was either but I have Known some Truely squared away ones
    -Initials carved in anything
    -Loud talkers
    -Non Howdy sayers
    - The Guy that came to our Camp and asked to borrow Tooth picks in the tent cabins in Yosemite I was looking at him like the No Coke pepsi Chips Chips Chips Bill Murry SNL skit Sshaking my head as he spoke He must of thought I was touched I told him he was standing in one of the most Beutiful forrest areas on then Planet with a floor littered with a Gajillion perfect little sticks with a belt knife and you come to ask for tooth picks go away...He left saying I was a rude Kid Maybe so I just couldnt belive it my uncle held up a tin foil and willow stick fry pan we used to cook Trout and said He Made this lol
    -anyone that Goes on trailside or anywhere about how light their load is while sporting 30 pounds of Dreadlocs 2 pounds of dirt and petulie oil

-Geo Cash Midden piles of crappy plastic do dads that arent stowed

Again I could go on and on may even pop back in lol

I just try to avoid the things that driveme up a Wall and just enjoy the time
    M/BK

12. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If seeing someone else ruins your day... do you go home and stay off the trails because you just screwed up someone else's hike?

If I hike into the back woods and someone else is there don't I have the right to get peeved? I mean really... they should know to stay away when I decide to hike. Sheesh:34:

13. godrick

godrick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What bums me out is seeing all the "Environmental Police" that have taken over the local forests. Lately the place has been swarming with them - ninja suits, bloused boots, .40 cals, hut -hut - hut - hut. I've hiked the woods all over the Berkshires for over 50 years with seldom a sight of the MAN. I don't like it. Last time I went to the state forest I found an EP pickup and half a dozen of the boys in green milling around the parking lot. When I asked what was up all I got was, "Nothing happening here. Move along. Move along." Used to be that the state forests belonged to the people. Seems like we're just uninvited visitors now on the Gumment's Land. Yes, I can avoid them easily, but know you all that the evil empire is expanding.
    Go in peace.

14. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree, and if I can't avoid them I try to not let them get to me too much. It only makes it worse if you let it under your skin. Brush it off and enjoy yourself, is the best policy.

15. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    My backwoods pet peeves

Almost all the backpacking and canoe-tripping my wife and I do is on Crown lands in Ontario, and as untrammeled as those woods are, there are there three things that annoy and anger me: backpackers and campers who try to ‘improve’ a site, people who litter, and destructive ATVers.

The first is a heavily impacted or “improved” campsite: Some people seem to think that anything that’s served others as a campsite - be it an official, designated campsite in a park, or an established campsite on Crown land - is a place where they can build crappy furniture (benches, tables), hammer nails into trees, build up bonfire-sized fire pits, string up clothes lines all over, and then leave the site with all this crap behind. I have canoed and backpacked to some pretty remote places to discover beautiful sites that were strewn with broken folding chairs, huge fire pits with enormous half-charred logs, 3 or 4 fire grates lying about, rope and string left up from where they'd hung their wet clothes, old wet and rotting socks, not to mention unsightly and flimsy camp carpentry. When such a spot is the only suitable spot on a lake, one feels like one is moving into a dilapidated shanty, rather than camping in wilderness. How I wish that people would pack out their crap and dismantle what they build, or at least build it out of natural materials so that there aren’t rusty nails sticking out of live trees and bits of wood.

Invariably, where there are large fire pits or fire rings, the sites are beaten down to bare dirt, with all ground litter and nearby firewood having been consumed. Even in such places as Algonquin Park, which is well-maintained, it’s common to have to paddle away from one’s site and go off in search of firewood and then paddle back with it, all because people think that camping means having a large roaring fire every night.

Here’s an example of a site where my wife and I camped that had been ‘improved’ by previous campers:
    [​IMG]
    Note the crude ‘table’ made by hammering a board and pieces of cut live wood into a tree. That table stank so badly of fish guts (a lure to bears) that we dismantled it and burned it right after making our supper.
    Note also how the ground has been picked clean of ground litter, lacks all ground vegetation, tree roots are exposed, meaning that the site turns into a mud pit whenever it rains. Notice also the size of the fire ring in the background.

In this next photo, notice the absurdly large fire pit, the iron grate over it (one of 3 on that site), the nails in the trees from which I have hung some gear (I pulled these out when we broke camp), the abandoned and broken folding chair to my left, and on the far right you can make out part of a heavy iron table that was also abandoned. Note the complete lack of ground litter or living ground vegetation.
    [​IMG]

Sadly, sites such as these are typical of Algonquin Provincial Park, which is why I avoid camping there or in other parks.

The second thing that bothers is, of course, litter. In fact, it infuriates me. Whenever we hike, go backpacking, or canoe-tripping, we carry along one or more plastic garbage bags to pack out litter we may encounter on my way back. I’m happy to say that I don’t find much most of the time on Crown land, but there have been occasions where I have picked up entire large garbage bags full of crap left behind by inconsiderate campers and hikers.

Below are a few photos of one site we paddled by on our way home after a short 4-day canoe trip. We filled two large garbage bags on that occasion from one camping site, but even at that, we had to leave some of the garbage behind because we had no more bags and little room left in our boats. Predictably, this site was one that was accessible via motorboats and by ATV. Most backpackers and canoeists, as one would expect, do not pack in folding chairs, iron grates, nor bring lumber, tools, and nails, much less cases of beer. It never fails to amaze me that people who reach a camping spot by a motorized vehicle (and therefore didn’t have to do any heavy lifting to get their crap there) cannot be bothered to just leave with their junk.

Below are some photos of my wife and I and our camping buddies cleaning up one such site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third thing that irks me when backpacking or canoe-tripping is inconsiderate ATVers. It seems that some significant portion of the ATV community loves to cut trails into virgin woods solely for the pleasure of despoiling the woods and wrecking existing trails and portage routes.

I've had the misfortune of discovering a section of a portage trail I'd used just days before, and which was undamaged on my way in, was completely unusable on my way out. ATVers had been 'mudding' there in the meantime. The section in question had been a narrow foot trail through a low-lying area with dense spruce on both sides. Once the ATVers had their fun with it, those lower areas were effectively permanent, wide, shallow ponds of mud and water, and deeply rutted, and so impossible to portage or hike through, forcing us to portage around through dense, uncleared bush and thus forcing us and other canoeists and backpackers and hikers to create a parallel trail along sections of this once lovely trail. I have not revisited it this area. It’s a write-off.

I've seen the same thing happen along the Seguin Trail (a hiking trail) in Sprucedale, Ontario. It's supposed to be a multi-use trail (it's an old railway bed) but sections of it are impassible even on dry days without knee high rubber boots because sections of the trail have been turned into wide mud pits and one cannot get around them because the rail bed passes through a sensitive low lying bog. The trail is actually the only raised area where one can walk, but that section is now usable ONLY by ATVers. And that unusable stretch keeps getting extended. Through-hikes for backpackers are no longer viable along some sections of the Seguin Trail because of ATV use. The number of backpacking trails in woods lost by backpackers to ATVers grows every year.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  16. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have noticed that many hunters seem to think nothing of leaving their shotgun cartridges and bullet casings lying around on trails, along with burned and squashed cans left in the fire rings they've made for their lunches.

What is it with people who are willing carrying in a full can, a full box, or a full bottle of something, but can't pack out the empty containers? There seems to be in inverse correlation between how far a person must travel on foot and how willing they are to litter. The shorter and easier the trip back to the car (be it on foot, by motor boat, or by ATV), the more likely they are to leave a mess behind. I guess when you have to lug stuff a long way, you learn that you don't bring in anything in a can, bottle, or cardboard box. Packaging is useless weight and volume. Leave it at home. Put everything in ziplock bags. They weigh nothing and take no space on the way home.

Hope this helps,
    -Martin

17. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I see your point, but yeah it does ruin my day a bit to run into someone. I don't resent them for it or anything just sayin I like to feel like I'm exploring areas for the first time when I'm out and an interuption just breaks up the unreality I like to place myself in while on a jaunt. What I have noticed by responses to this thread is that a lot of you seem to hike parks I generally walk in different places where you really wouldn't expect to see people.

18. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah ATVS I hate ATVS

19. Long John Tinfoil

Long John Tinfoil Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anything motorized. ATV's, Personal Water Craft, dirt bikes, 4X4's, snowmobiles...

I also hate mountain-bikers who build jumps, ramps, rails and such on trails.

I have no problem with horses, though. But I ride myself, so I may be biased.

LJT

20. BigFootSurvival

BigFootSurvival Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hate trash and litter left behind. Me and my buddies have packed out one full 35 gallon bag of trash from a single trip in the past.

21. tennecedar

Blog Posts:
    I hike National Forests. I used to hike on the AT but I got tired of it. Now when I'm out a few miles on an over grown trail and see someone I smile and say howdy. It does my heart good to know there are others that like the same places I do. I'm not the kind of person to make believe I'm the first person to explore a section of wilderness. I certainly don't get upset when it becomes apparent by the presence of another hiker.

22. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My knees probably wish id buy one

23. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    So you can look at a can, and tell who left it. If you can do that, why don't you send it back to them? I can go to an area where hunting is not allowed, and see the same trash. I will tell you I have seen that at Yellowstone National Park, no hunting allowed there. That is a tree huggers paradise. To blame hunters in general, is narrow minded. There are a lot of hunters on this forum that will be offended by that comment.

24. Papa

Papa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Guess I never grew up...:1:

25. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    Put down, as in kill the guy? Seriously???

26. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even in Ohio, where there are not many prime hiking trails, I hardly ever run into other people on the trails, and if I do, I just chalk it up to me backpacking at the wrong time or place, but it never bothers me.

Trash left behind bothers me, though.

If I ran into a homeless man "living" in the woods where I romp, I wouldn't be angry. To the contrary; I would like to know some of his secrets.

Lastly, if I find trash or other people on the trail, and it bothers me too much, I guess I'm missing the whole point of being out in the woods. I do not let other people negatively affect my time alone for reflection.

27. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't say that hunters are the biggest offenders (so I think Justin_Baker overstated the matter a bit), but spent shells and casings make it easy to tell when the mess was left by hunters. Same thing when you see that some angler has made a fire for a shore lunch...and has left the fire ring full of tangled fishing line and styrofoam worm containers. And when you see fresh ATV tracks in the middle of the woods, and dozens and dozens of empty beer bottles and broken lawn chairs, miles and miles from the nearest trail-head, you can reasonably infer that all that was not lugged in on foot, but was brought in by ATV and left by those persons.

Part of the reason for such patterns is that when people are backpacking for camping purposes, they are there to live in the woods for a few days or more and they typically want to enjoy an undiminished wilderness experience, and - especially when they are getting their under their own steam (on foot, or by canoe or kayak) - they tend to avoid bringing in the extra weight and volume of bottles, cans and boxed goods. But when people are there just for a day or a few hours - especially with motorized assistance - they tend to bring in a lot of crap that would be almost impossible to pack in under their own steam over such distances; and when they are there just to hunt, or just to fish, they tend to be more preoccupied with those pursuits and so place less value on leaving the woods untrammeled and undiminished. It's just a function of what people are trying to get out of being in the wilderness and how long they intend to be there and how they get to it. These are all relevant variables that serve as reliable indicators of how much waste they are likely to leave behind. A reliable indicator is just a reliable indicator - a basis upon which one can make some reasonable predictions - it's not a perfect predictor, and nobody should think that because there are such patterns of human behavior that everyone fits that pattern. I'm an angler myself and I'm not one to leave tangled line around or leave my garbage on the shore after a shore lunch, but that doesn't mean that these regularities of human behavior don't exist.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

28. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    <Sigh>... A few more terriffic bits of writing by Martin... unfortunately the content and message was oh-so-sad.

I have seen far too many similary situations in my travels, and it saddens me to think on such things.

The only thing to do is try to leave things better than you found them. Good on you all for cleaning up behind the a-holes out there.

29. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was just out of the Coast Guard in 1971, I hiked a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail from Donner Summit to Bishop, Calif. (Mt. McKinley area). I did the thing solo for a reason - to get away from people so I could hear myself think.

On the trail, I met up with a guy that was in his late 20s or early 30s (I was 22). I hiked by his camp as he was getting packed up to resume his trip. I had gone about 2 or 3 miles down the trail when I hear this jangling sound coming up the trail from behind me.

There was this guy huffing and puffing up the trail trying to catch up with me. His cook pot clanging against his "Sierra Cup" with both being tied to his pack. He had his sleeping bag bundled in his arms and was pushing hard to catch me. I stopped to let this 'tard go by me, but he stopped and decided to roll up his bag right there while I watched. I knew he wanted some company on the trail and thought we were "Family" or something, like I was just up there looking for a friend.

I decided to start walking and he caught up with me again. The dude just wouldn't stop talking and I was really trying to be polite but I just couldn't take it anymore. I started to get really rude with him and explained that I was hiking solo for a reason and didn't want his company.

He just didn't get it and would not take the hint. Finally I reached into my pack and pulled my 1911 (not pointing it at him). I told him that the last three guys I shot because they just got on my nerves and I couldn't take their BS anymore.

His eyes got wide and he started down the trail at almost a dead run. I shouted that I'd take a break for an hour and then I was gonna follow him.

Never saw him again. Happily. :4:

30. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    The hunters around these parts (myself included) keep a clean camp. While there and it's clean when they leave.
    The same thing however, can't be said for some of the remote lakes that I've hiked into to camp and fish at.
    We've brought back our backpacks full of other people's trash. These areas are only assessable by foot or horseback.
    I think most of the trash left behind in these areas are from other hikers that are to lazy to carry their trash out :(,not the folks on horseback. We rarely see anyone on foot or horseback, but we defiantly see their trash.

31. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's funny :D

32. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is by far my biggest pet peeve, at least on the local trails I frequent.

I have (3) rescue dogs myself, and they're good dogs but I would NEVER subject anyone else to their "behavior". Ever. It's so rude, as to be unbelievable, how people can let their dogs loose on public trails. Do you think I assume your little doggy-woggy is a sweet little woofykins?

If you let your dog run on trails, and think "MY dog would never cause a problem for ANYONE"... then don't be at all surprised when you find it dead with my Mora sticking out of the side of his pretty little head. Oops. Sorry. You should have obeyed the rules. Your dog came at me full steam and there was no way to tell it's intentions. Really, I'm sorry man, but it could not be avoided (actually, it could have been avoided but not by me).

I love dogs, but I really cannot stomach idiot dog owners. And leave them home at festivals and other public gatherings. Please.

33. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:
    Attention all SAR Personnel you can all quit volunteering go home to your families get a hobby Go to the Mall there is no more danger Repeat No more Danger Our work is done Cover the Choppers and st the Thermostat to 70 be sure to lock the door Oops leave it open there is no danger lol
    That is all

34. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:
    Remain Calm...

35. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hope you never need, what you seem to hate. Because there is a need for SAR.

36. tennecedar

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Really? You haven't been here but a few days and you insult a fairly large portion of the membership that has done/still does search and rescue...

37. gixer

gixer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    At 43 years old i tend to be of the opinion that life is to short to let stuff bother me, so i tend to not let stuff irritate of peeve me off.

There are 3 exceptions though that no amount of self control can suppress me getting angry, not just out on the trails but also in life.
    Ignorance
    Arrogance
    Laziness

On the trails these often show themselves as:
    Folks that leave rubbish
    Folks that build a shelter then leave them up, like they are some sort of masterpiece people will enjoy
    Folks that cut perfectly good tress when there is tons of dead wood just a few meters further away
    Folks that think you can't be "outdoors" without burning wood, but then don't clear up after themselves leaving fire scars

38. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:
    Did this turn into a Generalization fest we have all had hundreds of Iron Eyes Cody Moments I'm sure there are plenty of responsible Hunters, ATV Users and God forbid people who have had some of the best times of their life by a Big Ragging Fire Its a Bushcraft site not a lola granola soap box site and it full of responsible Folk not a bunch of rank amateurs that need a sorting... I was having Fun at this one and then started seeing a Little Bushcraft Hate? lol Wow! and now SAR Hate I have nothing but respect for those Men And Women and Animals Ive Had the Honor to work and train with some of the Finest Check out some Incident reports Check out some of the home pages google the Jared Negrete Search a heck of roster of caring professional people there Never got a answer could have been prevented ? Maybe or not have a Mountain Dew and hit the Trail.

39. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here in Oregon they're whining about the so-called "single use plastic bags" from stores that I see everyone use over and over until they disintegrate, but care less about the proliferation of disposable diapers even in the bush. How do I know what pathogens that child had, especially if their parents refuse immunization. That's one of my pet peeves.

40. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    When my wife finds the ticks on my kids before I do

41. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep, that will ruin a day quick.
    Also, when one of the kids fall and have to show mama the boo-boo. Of course with a big story about how they jumped like 30 feet across a lake/gorge/mountain..... Usually while running from SAR, ATV's, other hikers, unleashed poodles, or trash:)

42. TheBurns

TheBurns Scout

Blog Posts:
    My pet peeves:

garbage
    alcoholic drinks in camp, on trail, or anywhere near me
    people who feel as though it is their duty to comment on my home made gear

43. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Radios! I hate to be back in somewhere and hear any kind of music playing on a radio I mean really, you just packed 5 miles into the Sangres and now you have ac/dc blasting. Turn the crap off and go make a chicken stick for the love of god.

44. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:

I'll Have None of that Talk Poodles are cute and highly customizable Now Drop and give me 20 Push the Earth outta orbit Go! Down Hawone Tuup Threep Forp I can Hear You!

Knock out ten for the Team and well put ya back on the RESCUE List

[​IMG]

Do I look Fat In That Picture? Non Motivated Blow hard? Just another day Playing Like Im In The Wilderness in The San Gorgonio Wilderness :35: Put in about two weeks looking For Lost Boy Scout that went Missing On a Backpacking Trip Lucky I didnt have a heart attack

Hated Weaing a Helmet when there was nothing above you to fall on ya

Your Kid Can Jump 30 feet? Thats sweet

45. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, they do pretty good. The only issue I see is you arent wearing gloves. It is a well known myth you cant save anyone unless you are wearing gloves.

46. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:
    My Hands are like Cody's Feet but Clean
    Its Cool lol

47. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in Yucaipa and remember well when that kid got lost. I can still remember the last picture he took of himself and then left his camera which was later found. So sad.

48. clanmaki

clanmaki Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was checking to see if someone would mention this. I completely agree. For some reason it is always on at night too.

49. Penner

Penner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1a. Ditto here: "The third thing that irks me when backpacking or canoe-tripping is inconsiderate ATVers. It seems that some significant portion of the ATV community loves to cut trails into virgin woods solely for the pleasure of despoiling the woods and wrecking existing trails and portage routes".

1b. They drive like they are the only ones on the trail & blast thru a blind turn & you are standing there, & have to jump out of the way for your life. I think that if one needs to be 16 years old to get a drivers license to drive a car 30 mph, then one needs to be 16 years old & have a drivers license in order to drive an ATV. Yet, The majority of ATV drivers here are under 15, & one 7 year old asked me to pull his ATV out of a ditch with my horse. I laughed at him, I'm not going to help that stupid kid. What kind of idiot parent buys an ATV for a 7 year old?!? And then, lets them loose on it alone?

2. Parents with their 18 kids in tow, who dont keep track of their kids, & dont keep those kids away from me. i hike with my dogs, & I dont want their snotty nose kids bothering me or my dogs. Not everyone enjoys other peoples children (or wants to babysit them, because the parents are too lazy to keep track of them).

3. Shotgun shells all over, or people who illegally shoot in the desert next to/ thru a trail & are wearing ear protection, duh, um think about it. The shooter isnt going to hear anyone coming up on them. Dont shoot there, & dont wear ear protection.

4. Toilet paper. We have a big illegal alien problem here, and as they trapsize thru the desert they leave all their crap anywhere they please (oreo cookie boxes, milk cartons,used tampons, toilet paper, clothing etc). Literally tons of it, one place covered an acre of trash, as they have their "routes" they all use.

5. Jet Skis. Never met a jet ski user who wasnt a drunk & they all love to drive fast in No Wake zones, of course while you are trying to fish from a canoe.

6. In a developed campsite, people who cut right thru your campsite, because they were too lazy to walk another 20 feet to take the designated path to the toilet.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  50. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My friends and I were in Scouts. What always got me besides Troops that didn't look squared away (we tucked our collars in so it would look better with the handkerchief) is Troops that require the Scouts to wear the uniform when hiking or camping. they need to wear something more comfortable and practical. My Troop and the Troop my friend was in only wore the uniform for formal occasions. This was limited to Scout camp for meals, ceremonies, and our own Troop ceremonies back at home. This would be awards ceremonies. Otherwise on hikes and camping and any other activity we wore whatever we wanted with most of us wearing BDUs.