Bates USMC RAT boots $59.99

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by brettmc, Aug 19, 2012.

1. brettmc

brettmc Tracker

Blog Posts:
  2. carnivore

carnivore Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is a story in the Marine Corps Times about them being recalled due to separation of stitching and glue at the seams, as well as eyelets falling off the boots. Here is the article:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-boot-defect-rat-recall-033011w/

I've emailed customer service at LA Police gear to ask if the only issue is the minor defects they mention, or if these boots might have the issues mentioned in the article.

3. brettmc

brettmc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info

4. carnivore

carnivore Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It took 3 days (and two email requests) to get a response, but I finally did hear back - twice - today about the issues with boots. At 11:41 AM I received an email saying the only problem was with the aesthetics, but at 2:11 PM I received this reply:

"Dear valued customer

The boots do have defects and one of them can be that the stitching can start to come undone over time and the eyelets have popped out. This is why the boots are on sale for a very low price. Please be aware that all sales are final on this boot when purchased

Thank you and have a great day.

Chris

Customer Service Team"

So, even though their website says the boots have only minor defects like small leather scuffs and slightly misaligned welts, there is the possibility that they will come unstitched at the seams and the eyelets might fall out. They didn't even mention the other complaint in the article of coming unglued at the seams.

Caveat Emptor

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  5. TaigaTreader

TaigaTreader Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of all the military issue contract companies, Bates, hands down, makes the poorest quality boots. A close friend of mine is shipping to Air Force BMT shortly, and one of the first things I told him was 'At your first Issue, make SURE you grab Altama boots, and do everything you can to avoid Bates." Every single one of the guys in my flight that had Bates boots had them fall apart within the 6 weeks of BMT. This isn't just a one time recall thing, they make a poor quality product, period.

PS, Danner routinely puts their RAT boots on clearance for 70 dollars from the factory, and they come with free shipping and a lifetime warranty.

6. 87Burban

87Burban Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Danner Rat Boot seconds are very nice, but they do run LARGER than normal - like a full size larger. One of the hazards of ordering boots over the phone.

I had some in 12 1/2 wide and had to trade them off - just too big.

Just be aware of this when you place the order.

7. nothinghead

nothinghead Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Go with Danner or Belleville. I really like the Belleville Flight Deck Navy boots. No goofy zippers to fail, and they have a softer sole for running in. they look good and are all leather, no nylon on the uppers and are affordable. I got mine at the NEX in VA Beach.

Matterhorn's are what I was issued at Basic, and those were some good quality boots too.

8. mlp2147

mlp2147 The "retired" Gunny Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I find this odd as the ones I that were issued to me ran small. I wear an 11 and they fit like a 10 1/2. Maybe the fact that they are seconds could contribute. I also know that Danner has a program where you send your boots in and they will resole and replace/repair leather and insoles for a reduced price vs the cost of a new boot.

9. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    My experience with Bates was not positive.
    My experience with Danner is good durable boots that run 1/2 size short and a bit narrow (as in the ee fits like a d)
    Altama = best uninsulated boots I've worn
    Matterhorn = best insulated lace to toe.

10. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the Danners version. I paid quite a bit more than $70. I'd like to know where that deal was.

Danners run true to size and are a bit narrow. I currently have two pair that are holding up quite well.

11. BrawnJohndo

BrawnJohndo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That is kind of strange I always HATED Altama boots, but prefered Bates...Danners have always been out of my price range, unless issued.

12. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR Guide

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a pair of bates secOnds and they were absolutely unwearable. Cheep construction too. I'll never get bates. I got some McRae usmc hot weather boots and love them. Best boots I've ever worn. Full size smaller than my foot measures on a brannock divide though.