Batteries and winter camping

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Backyard, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have sleep apnea. For the sake of others and myself, I use a travel cpap machine on overnights. The last two trips I've been on the cold killed my battery.

I've been thinking of creating a reflectix sleeve for the battery and trying to keep it warm with hand warmers. Has anyone done anything similar or has another solution?
    rsnurkle likes this.
  2. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    can you sleep without the machine, I can sleep with out my CPAP and there fore when I go camping do not bother. But have wondered if just using the mask would keep me from snoring.

Build a Li-ion battery pack. It might stand th cold better.

cheers
  3. WY_Not

WY_Not Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have you used your CPAP machine in cold air yet? I don't use one (did write technical manuals for them years ago, for Invacare) but a fellow I knew had one and he couldn't use it in really cold weather. The cold air was REALLY rough on his airways.
  4. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    My doc told me that a score of 1 - 10 was normal, 11 - 20 required treatment, 20 - 30 was extreme. My score was 62.
    Seeker likes this.
  5. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    I use a modular sleep system, black bag on the inside, green on the outside, covered by a bivy. Machine goes inbetween the black and green bag due to the air temp. Took me about 10 minutes to figure I needed to do something other than have the machine exposed to the cold air.
  6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just did a quick google search of CPAP batteries... are all of them relatively flat? Seems so.

Would it be possible to rig up an extension cord of sorts, enabling you to sleep with the battery inside your bag somewhere (even down near the feet, with the cord feeding through the bottom zipper, if you had one)?
    maineman1985 and rsnurkle like this.
  7. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Re: the chemical hand warmer heat source: This has always sounded liked an interesting idea to me, but I would do a lot of testing before putting one in an enclosed container, unsupervised, with an important and possibly sensitive device.

My usual electronics all are fairly small, so this is easier for me, but I am a big fan of keeping what I can in the sleeping bag with me, so if your battery can fit into a sleeve, it might fit in your bed.
    maineman1985 likes this.
  8. maineman1985

maineman1985 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lithium ion batteries suck in cold climates. You got to keep them worm or they die quick on ya. Like seeker mentioned make an extension cord and keep the battery in your bag with you.
    Backyard likes this.
  9. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate all of your suggestions. Part of the challenge is that the battery gets cold well before I tuck in for the night.

I'm going with a reflectix / handwarmer attempt and will report back after testing is complete
    rsnurkle likes this.
  10. beeperboy

beeperboy Scout

Blog Posts:

Would a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag with the battery an hour before bed help?
    rsnurkle likes this.
  11. Magic Tad

Magic Tad Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have had the same problem. On car camping trips I have used a gel type car battery w/power inverter. This has given me two nights easily plus charged phones. How ever the best I have done was the time I added a tent wood stove this kept the tent in the 50 to 60 range. I have also doubled up smaller battery's for extended use. But be careful some CPAPs need a certain electrical signature ( I had to buy a specific power inverter to prevent warranty problems) Good Luck Magic Tad
  12. Backyard

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate all the responses. I'm using this in the woods, no outlets or cars available. I think my best option is to keep the battery as warm as possible without exceeding 110 degrees. And make sure that anyone sleeping near me realizes I will stop breathing several times each night and they don't need to worry, and good luck getting back to sleep
    Broke likes this.
  13. bodhran4me

bodhran4me Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How large are the batteries and how heavy are they ? Maybe you could keep them in a mickey pocket to help keep them warm during the day.

How about on top of a black bag during the day time? I have seen where putting snow on top of a black plastic bag will melt the snow if the sun is shining. Maybe some reflectix under the bag to help the unit from losing heat through conduction to the ground?

I have avoided having my water bottle freeze by burying in the snow. The water was still danged cold mind you, but not frozen. Likely to cold for batteries, but better than the open air. Snow is actually a good insulator and helps protect from the even colder ambient air temperature.

Good luck with your search for a solution.
  14. 66drifter

66drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    battery technology has come a LONG WAY butt what we need to power our CPAP machines isn't being made available to us

the battery i got is the one that's spost2 run my machine 2 nights on a charge

when exposed to temps below 50ºf it dies pretty early on the 2nd night which isn't good

you might take your unit to BATTERIES PLUS and tell them about your problem

they might be able to hook you up w/ a M/C type AGM that will get you by

GOOD LUCK
    rsnurkle and Backyard like this.
  15. Broke

Broke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In extreme cold temps you cant have the battery not be warmed. At 19* farrnheit my iPhone went into high temp shut down (yeah, high temp...) after less than 10 minutes exposure to outside air. The cpap machine has the added vulnerability of needing to pump air to the mask, that air typically has an added moisture element to prevent chapping, not sure if the mobile/travel units have that.
    About the only solution I can see to continue using it is to have either a remote battery pack or a battery and inverter in your sleeping bag with you.
    Good luck!
    Adam G
    rsnurkle likes this.
  16. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for interest.