Best deal on quality wool socks?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Exy, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,

I've been searching for a source of quality wool sock for my bush bag. I purchased some from amazon but they are of crappy quality and don't fit well, so I'm going to send them back this week. Now I'm back to square one.

Does anyone have a good website or source I can checkout? Really appreciate the help guys.

2. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm also looking on a good deal on a wool blanket, tried ordering that one from the Israeli deal mentioned in the gear deals section but it doesn't look like its going to go through which sucks.

3. Ian

Ian Tracker

Blog Posts:
  4. invisiblejules

invisiblejules Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you've got a Costco membership (and a Costco nearby, of course), their Kirkland brand wool socks are a great deal.

5. Arizona-Hermit

Arizona-Hermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I could get my hands on quality wool socks in my size, I would buy a few dozen pairs.

6. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  7. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Two of the best brands of wool socks I've had on my feet (and that's pretty much all I wear) are the REI house brand of light hiking socks and the Smart Wool brand of low (mid-calf) hiking socks.

One pair of each will reasonably last about 6 months of regular use.

They are not cheap, though. The REI socks run about $11/pair and the Smart Wool about $15/pair. But they are worth every penny as far as I'm concerned - outstanding fit, no hot-spots or seams where you can feel them, very good cushioning.

I also like the Thorlo-brand light hiking socks. They are not wool, but are outstanding socks.

Socks, like footwear, are not something you should go cheap on. I'm willing to pay the price to keep my footsies happy.

8. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    +1 for Costco. Very good merino wool socks for a fair price.

~JohnP

9. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    does cosco have online ordering?

10. wonderingson

wonderingson Scout

Blog Posts:
    smart wool for LIFE!

11. WarDoggy

WarDoggy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia
    Not Ian, but a wear those socks on a daily basis, and I get several years out of mine. Have a pair or two that are over 5y/o.

Took a few pair back that had started developing holes (one of which the dog shredded), and they replaced them at my local BPS no questions asked. I'm a fan.

Connected via SkyNet

12. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sams Club also has a 3 pack of merino wool socks for $15. They are very nice I plan on getting a second pack after trying these out.

13. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didn't see Sierra Trading Post mentioned ..... my "go-to" place for all clothing and gear.

Sign up for e-mail sale notifications and wait for on-line coupons and reduced shipping options. They carry lots of major brands including my personal favorite, Smartwool. I've bought many pairs at 60 to 80% off retail with .99 shipping.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

14. mountain girl

mountain girl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As others have said, you get what you pay for with wool socks. I have Smartwool, Keen, Patagonia, Icebreaker, and Wigwam socks. I've had the Icebreakers for at least 4 years and they are still going strong even with everyday use. The others are all doing great too. I usually pick up socks like this if they are on sale (thats why so many different brands). Basically, if they are made for hikers and look like smart wool they will treat you right. Check out Sierra Trading Post online. They have huge discounts on a lot of hiking clothing.

15. Ian

Ian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have only had to turn in one pair, due to my own stupidity, and that is with almost daily use over the past two years. They are holding up extremely well. They are not for hot weather use though, at least not for everyone, as they are thick and heavy. I would look at SmartWool for lightweight wool socks.

16. 95bv5

95bv5 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very Upstate NY (any further North and I would be
    I only buy the threepack wool boot socks from Sam's club and have for more than 5 years. They are EXTREMELY long lasting and warm. In my old job I wore hikers most days and always wore the Sam's Club socks. Prior to that, I wore Thorlos. Thorlo is a good sock but only lasted a fraction of the time. Trust me, you cannot do better for the money.

17. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    I buy ONLY the costco socks for everyone in the family they will fit. I would buy them for the little kids if Costco sold smaller sizes. $3 a pair for socks that are as good as REI housebrand or Smartwool. They last way longer than anything else I have found.

They are not as good as Smartwool for camping, when not washing or washing from the creek (they mat down more), but for daily wear they can't be beat.

18. MarcoMontana

MarcoMontana Scout

Blog Posts:
  19. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been buying 'em locally from a guy at a flea market and really liking these. He (re)labels these as "Superlative Socks" (don't know OEM) and tags 'em as Made in USA.

Merino with Nylon/Spandex mixes too. Three different "weights".

415-902-8023

20. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've tried them all and every time I go back to "Smartwool". I wear them every day for work and play. My work days are normally 12 hours and average 5 days a week. I buy 5-6 pairs every 3 years or so. The last time I found them online and if I remember correctly they were ~$10 each to the door.

The REI socks ended up with holes in odd spots and the Cabela's and BassPro socks seem to fit loose and fall down into my boots too easy.

Good luck, Ski

21. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought some crappy ones from amazon and returned them. Cheap China garbage.

But thanks to this thread I ordered the omniwool 3 pack from sams for $15 with free shipping. We'll see how those turn out, will reply with feedback.

Nice thread, informative, thanks guys.. Now, only if I can find a good wool blanket on a budget! You guys got me craving wool and I never knew about this miracle product. Going to go down to the local goodwill to see if I can score something cheap.

22. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a 3 pack of merino wool hiking socks at BJ's last week for $12.99.

23. sak45acp

sak45acp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you can stand to pay for them, SmartWool merino wool socks rock. They are the standard for wool socks in the American outdoor industry, with good reason. I have several pairs of the midweight hikers that I've been wearing on a regular basis for over twelve years now. They are a little worn in the heels, and not as cushiony as when they started, but they are still servicable for daily wear. I also buy the three or four packs of the merino wool socks from Costco, but they've been a lot thinner lately. Store brand REI or EMS are a good deal, also.

24. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I do the same. I bought 2 packs at costco and have had them as everyday wear for 2 years now and still going strong. When compared to smartwool socks there seems to be no difference, except price - hint, hint.

25. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wear the Sam''s club 3/$15 socks as well -- not as soft as smartwool, but comfortable, good cusioning, wick well for summer hiking and warm enough for winter.

26. 87Burban

87Burban Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Covert Threads Ice Socks

Best I have found - I work outside year round and am on my feet quite a bit

27. HalM

HalM Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got some the other day, I don't think they were Fox River... I have to check the brand. Merino wool, I sought them out. Made in USA. I've also been wearing a lot of the Smartwool and like them, but these are FAR superior in comfort, don't smell, and just seem great. I'll check the name when I get home. Downside is they were $16 a pair. Upside is, my feet, which generally bug me, have never been happier. Just have to take special care when I wash them, but it is getting to be that way with all the clothes I have now that I refuse to buy throw-away junk.

28. rwolsen

rwolsen Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  29. HalM

HalM Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wigwam is the brand I got. Their Merino wool ones. Truly awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

30. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Dashingly Absurd. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1 for sierra trading post. Also, check out moosejaw.com for some good deals. Not all good deals, but a surprising amount of dirt cheap great stuff.

31. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ordered the merino omniwool socks from sams club at 3 pair for $15 with free shipping.

I received the socks today and I absolutely love them! Way better than the cheap crap I got from amazon for the same price. Mid calf, perfect medium thickness, no hairs sticking out, not too tight but still firm. 80% merino,

this deal in terms of killer quality for price would be very hard to beat. I'm sticking with these and ordering another pair immediately!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, this is exactly the deal I was after!

32. Problem Child

Problem Child Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't say it was a best deal($40) but, I splurged and got myself a pair of Woolpower 600 gram knee-high socks last year and I love them.

33. sdc

sdc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Take a look at covert threads.com

I wear the "ice" everyday in a construction environment and they where like iron, and are as comfy as can be!

BTW-I'm not affiliated with them, just a long satisfied custom.

34. 87Burban

87Burban Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agree on this one

35. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think the best quality I've seen and owned are the SmartWool. However, I regularly buy the wool "hunting" socks from Wal-Mart as well. They aren't as tight of a weave but seem to last much longer than typical cotton socks and are ever bit as warm as the SmartWool ones. I like to get light weight SmartWool socks for fall and spring and then add a layer of hunting socks over them in the winter.

36. Boreal Boy

Boreal Boy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will trade six pairs of Canadian Military wool socks, in your specific size, still in the wrapper, if you send me item number #KB-LL-115 from this page on Ragweed forge's site. It costs $39, I would buy it but once Ragnar found out I am in Canada he wont even reply to my email let alone ship it to me. That blade would be about $10 to ship to me with USPS.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

37. ShellbackBill

ShellbackBill Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I recently switched to thick wool socks for every day wear. Those RedHeads are exactly what I bought.

My feet feel drier than they ever did with cotton tube socks.

It's like walking around with your feet in a cloud all day.

And I have been quite happy with the quality.

38. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm addicted,

I keep walking around the house talking about how much I love my socks and my gf thinks I'm a lune ''there just socks''. I immediately went back and ordered two more sets of the omni wool socks from Sams club. They are the best value for the price from what I have seen. Not to mention they fit perfect for my size 12 feet.

Saw a good deal on smart wool at sierra trading but the size large ran a bit on the small size, otherwise for 8 bucks I would have tried a pair out.

Thanks for all the awesome info guys.

39. vladimir

vladimir Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What he said.

I get a couple of years out of my REI socks, but I have several pairs to rotate among.

Another brand to look for is Wigwam. The REI-branded socks look like Wigwam might be the maker.

40. Zzerru

Zzerru Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1! Just went and got the four pack for $12 and 2 100% merino wool sweaters for $20 each. Looks like good quality and both are comfortable. Also had 800 loft down jackets for $69 and merino wool base layers (tops/bottoms) for $20 each.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  41. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How do the costco socks compare to the sams club socks?

42. Aven

Aven Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    1+ I now have a drawer full of Smartwool from Sierra Trading. The most I spent was 7.00/pair with shipping, and that's because I only got two pairs that time.

Do sign up. It's worth it with what you can save.

I wear merino wool socks year round. I've had a couple of pairs that are going on their third year with no signs of thinning. Be careful of house brand socks. I've been burned a couple of times. They said they were 100% merino, but they weren't very soft and they wouldn't stay up. Ended up using them for polishing rags.

43. scoutsurvivor

scoutsurvivor Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a hard core Smartwool fan. Then I was turned on to Point6 merino wool socks. Point6 takes Smartwool to the next level of sockdom.

44. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Another happy Wigwam owner here. "Everlast" was the model/type. I had three pairs that lasted me for YEARS. I lost one pair (left behind at a portage in the Adirondacks) and replaced them with Smartwool merino. Happy with those too.

45. Shone

Shone Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Dont forget good old cheap army wool socks. $3.00 a pair at the surplus store. I replaced all my dress socks with the black ones. For hiking I wear them and polypropylene slip socks.

46. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you can wait till next fall and live on the west side of the country, you can get some great socks at COSTCO for super cheap. Love the ones I have. Super warm and great price.

47. diannamarsolek

diannamarsolek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i just make our socks

I spin my own wool and make our socks I gess that's cheeting :D

48. redandshane

redandshane Tracker

Blog Posts:
  49. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  50. HoosierArcher

HoosierArcher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    4 or so years back I bought an 6 pack of merino wool socks from The Sportsmans Guide and they still look fairly new. As I recall the sale price wss 9.95 I got them eith a couple other itemd snd used a free shipping coupon.They are medium eeight but for most applications they hsve been great.