Best outdoor foot wear for plantar fasciitis?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by bigbore442001, Dec 26, 2012.

1. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dear Bushcrafters:

I did some research on the net and did not come up with anything really definitive on this topic. One of the unfortunate issues I have to contend with is plantar fasciitis. That is the inflammation of the tendon at the bottom of your foot. It is painful and has limited my time out in the woods. What I would like to know is the best footwear built for outdoor use that is recommended for someone with this affliction.

I do notice that shoes or boots with a heel tend to irritate it more than something with a flat sole. I have even contemplated making some heavy mocassins with inserts and a liquid rubber sole. Again, it seems that a flat sole is the least irritating.

I appreciate any replies. Thanks

2. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Hobbyist Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  3. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Something with a flat sole and flexible is the best that you can do from footwear for plantar fasciitis in my experience. You can help alleviate most of the discomfort by spending a few minutes doing some simple exercises to help stretch your plantar facia over time. I do these twice daily, once in the morning and once at night as I'm watching the news. PM me if you would like a few suggestions.

4. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will admit that there is one thing I can do to aleviate the pain.

LOSE SOME WEIGHT.

I ballooned out over the past couple of years and gained a good forty pounds. Mid September I did get a cortisone shot in the heel. WOW. DID THAT WAKE ME UP. Not the most pleasant thing in the world. The doctor gave me instructions for stretching my feet before getting up in the morning, of which I do, but it isn't enough now. I hate the thought of going for another shot.

5. wheelmanron

wheelmanron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I suffered with plantar fasciitis for over 20 years. Every morning my heels felt like I was walking on cracked marbles for hours, and I would just pray for the end of the day so I could take my shoes off and get off my feet. 3 years ago, my wife suggested Keen sandals, as I like to wear sandals almost year round. Well, the pain got worse for about 2 weeks, then one day I woke up and I had less than half my normal pain. I know that sounds weird, but it is true. After that, I realized that my feet were being squeezed in my regular footwear. Now, all I can wear is Keen and Vibram five fingers. I stand all day at work, and I am 265 pounds, so not light. I am 40, and my feet feel better now than when I was 15. If you feel like your shoes are compressing your feet, they probably are. After 3 years, my feet and ankles are stronger, more muscular and 90% pain free. I can walk and hike further than ever before. So, give Keens a try. They will feel weird at first, but they may work. I wish you the best of luck.

6. Thorbyfour

Thorbyfour Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I suffered from PF for 4 years. Thought I was going to go crazy. Oddly enough the thing that helped me was Crocks. My wife bought a pair of Crocks for Christmas one year. I noticed that when I wore them the PF didn't hurt as bad. Consequently when I was not at work I would always wear my Crocks even though they were ugly:) Within a few months I noticed that my feet didnt hurt. When I mentioned this to my doctor he said he had heard that from other patients. I don't wear Crocks all the time now but If I notice my feet starting to hurt I will wear them for a week or so and it goes away.

For Christmas this year my wife gave me a pair of canvas top Crocks that actually look really nice and will make excellent camp shoes. They have the same croslite sole so the effect should be the same. I like them enough that I will probrably wear them most days after work.

I wore them all day yesterday with no pain at all.

[​IMG]

7. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't rush your recovery.

I feel your pain bigbore422001.
    A little over 2 years ago I got PF in both feet; first in one, then the other as a compensation injury because I didn't seek treatment early enough.

In my case, a very aggressive set of arch-supporting orthotics (store-bought New Balance orthotics for PF, not custom orthotics) has helped tremendously. My case was so severe at one point I could not walk (only crawl) and I could not even drive, as moving my foot from the accelerator to the break pedal was painful.

My recovery has taken so long because I did not want to take it slow. I repeatedly pushed the limits of what I could do in order to speed my recovery and get back to my outdoor passions, but it had the opposite effect. I have suffered at least two major setbacks because of my impatience.

PF is a slow-healing injury. Many people never fully recover and require orthotics for the rest of their lives. I am likely in that group. I can now, with orthotics in my footwear (even in my slippers at home), go all day without pain, even on pavement. Walking in the bush is actually easier on my feet than walking on hard floors and pavement or concrete, but arch-supporting orthotics are a must for me and whenever I have ventured out without wearing them, I have suffered a minor setback in my recovery - with the pain returning.

My advice to you is to the following:

-First, do the various foot flexibility exercises that they recommend. They help.

-Second get lightweight hiking boots or hiking shoes that have lots of support and line the bottoms with some orthotics that offer aggressive arch support, avoid hard walking surfaces (concrete floors and sidewalks, pavement, etc).
    These are the orthotics I use in all my footwear. I own 3 pairs: http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Stability-Womens-Insoles/dp/B002MCPS92/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_6/176-0459888-8952929 You can find these in stores that specialize in footwear for joggers and runners.
    These are the hiking boots I wear. They are blessedly light, comfortable and give me plenty of support for hiking through dense bush: http://www.garmont.com/outdoor/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?categoria=127&prodotto=327

-Lastly, take it slow. Soft tissue injuries are very slow-healing and they are easily re-injured, causing discouraging setbacks in recovery. Cut your outings short when you start to feel foot pain. This is the hardest thing to do, especially when you're having a good time out there.

My recovery began in earnest when I finally started doing these things, and I am now, finally, back at the gym, doing cardio on an elliptical trainer, recumbent bike, rowing machine, and I can even do leg squats; all of these were unthinkable only a few months ago. I still can't jog, run on a treadmill, or jump up and down, and I might never be able to do so, but I can now hike for hours at a stretch in the bush and almost as long on paved roads and sidewalks.

All the best to you in your recovery and hope this helps,
    -Martin

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. Arcadia

Arcadia Scout

Blog Posts:
    BushClass Basic-13/13 E-5/5 O-1/5 On the Fringe..
    I went through it a third time last year through late summer this year. Don't know why it stopped but Dang that puts the hurt on a guy right quick. People look at you funny when you stand up and you're walking all crazy. I personally did not find relief with different types of shoes. It was only in my left heel this time but suffer is a mild word at times. Hope it gets better.

9. darinu

darinu Tracker

Blog Posts:
  10. Woodsorrel

Woodsorrel Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    There has been a lot of good advice already.

- Inserts

This may take a lot of experimentation. If you find an insert that does not work, don't hesitate to take a pair of scissors to it (or thin it in places) to see if you can make it better.

For hiking boots, I like the Sole inserts and mold them until they feel good (http://www.rei.com/product/721632/sole-ed-viesturs-signature-series-custom-footbeds-high-volume).

- Exercises

The exercises are the most important things you can do! The inserts address the immediate problem. But to "get better" takes work. I followed a lot of the exercises recommended in this article aimed at people with flat feet and found they helped (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/#axzz1i5aE5ysO).

- Go Slow

Wait for the injury to recover before you start to push. It is a great time to work on your tracking and observation skills when out. Trekking poles may help in the short term. But go slow and keep distances short!

- Boots

I now spend a few extra dollars for lightweight boots that are rigid/supportive (Lowa). It seems to work for me. Also, *make sure all of your footwear fits properly*. Make sure you are not wearing shoes that are too large a size.

This injury is very frustrating and can take a long time to improve. But with work you can make it better to the point where you can pursue the activities you love.

My $.02

- Woodsorrel

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I spent a day walking around Las Vegas in MC boots some years ago and woke up the next morning unable to put my feet on the ground. It took it almost a year to heal and that was doing the exerises the PT had me do religously. The one thing my PT told me was to get a Coke can, kick off my shoes under my desk, and roll the can with my feet. He said do it every chance I could. That was about 6 years ago and I have not suffered with PF since but I am still rolling that darn Coke can under my desk :30:

12. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like new balance walking shoes, the higher the number the better the shoe, look for 800 or 900 series, good fitting shoes with arch are part of the answer. One of the stretches my DR told me to do involved putting my heal on the ground and moving my toes in a manner that if a towel was on the floor it would bunch up under my foot. IE stretch the foot out then pull my toes along the floor towards me. I find that with proper fitting shoes I can do this one as I sit at a computer or stand. it helps a lot in the middle of the day at work.

As far as weight loss, I went on paleo last year and lost 20 pounds in a month. you can eat all the non-starchy vegetables you want, and all the meat you want. just no carbs. As I am relatively poor My meat choices were chicken hamburger and pork loin, all of which lack flavor, only reason I quit was I was ready to mug a two year old for a tootsie pop. but the weight has stayed off and I am about to do it again. one of the good snacks on the diet is pork rinds, use lots of spices, salsa, peppers oil and vinegar dressing etc to give yourself some flavor.

good luck

Eric

13. bushcrafter1

bushcrafter1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Experiences

I've had this same affliction for sometime just my .2cents inserts didn't work it actually got so bad that I went to physical therapy. I've been in pt for a while and it has Helped greatly. I would deffinetly recommend this as a form of recovery

14. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really have to thank all of you for the replies. It has helped me with a number of things. I will start to tape my feet for the day, use my walking stick at work( I can intimidate the kids with it) and do the exercises. I do have something to roll under my feet.

I will confess that today I did two dumb things. I took a break at work and took a walk to set up a trail camera. I work next to a large wildlife management area open to hunting so I set up a trail camera. I was walking over a stone wall and slipped. I tried to gain tracton and overstretched my left heel. I felt the painful stretch over the curve of the heel. What was odd is that after a short time my heel felt " wet" . Hard to explain but that is the best way to explain it. I limped pegleg out of the woods and then instead of heading home to rest, I went walking err limping with my muzzleloader for an hour and setting up another trail camera.

15. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have PF and have gotten it to mostly calm down. Here is what I have found to help a lot..

1. Freeze a bottle of water and roll it under your foot when you can, this does 2 things 1. it will stretch out the muscle, 2. the cold will help ease discomfort
    2. Splint at night! It will keep the muscle from contracting at night and will loosen it up.
    3. Sounds weird, but the barefoot shoes helped a lot!

J

16. Mojoe

Mojoe Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had it this year pretty bad. I got a cortisone shot in July which helped a lot but I'm going to be needing another one soon. I had some custom orthotics made but I don't care for them. I prefer the Birko Balance Orthotics. I bought some Keen hiking shoes in September and retired the checkered Vans. I like the Keens a lot!

17. wulfesinger67

wulfesinger67 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    wulfesinger67
    ive been using arrow moccasins for every day wear for over two years now with out a flare up of my plantir these have been soled with shoogoo and a extra outer sole of convayour belt to help with wear. first year i just had the shoo goo...i think my new pair ill be adding the shoo goop i saw in another post its barges rubber cement and sifted ground up rubber..figured id make my own with the belt sander and a shop vac to contain the grindings.

18. Dearborn

Dearborn Scout Deceased

Blog Posts:
    PF Pain

I wish I had read the aforementioned advice some 20 years ago. My Achilles tendon would contract at night into a knotty, contorted structure and my first 10 steps were very painful. Most of my relief came from planting my feet and leaning forward to stretch the Achilles tendon; sometimes I would hear the tendon "pop." I also placed my toes on a door or stair step and let my heel drop below the level of the toes (to stretch the Achilles tendon). I also tried taping and orthotics, but they didn't work. After about a month or more of stretching, my PF pain largely became a thing of the past.

The very best of luck!

19. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    You certainly aren't alone with PF. I dealt with it as well as I could for several years. It would get worse and better with no real pattern that I could tell. I tried all of the stretches, insoles, arch supports, different shoes, sleeping splints...everything I could think of. The results varied but were not consistent.

Inserts helped some and Keen boots and sandals seemed to help as well. Overall the one thing that finally seemed to end the suffering was losing weight. I dropped about 70 lbs. and realized one day that I was no longer dealing with pain from PF. That has been over two years ago now and I have not had a single recurring episode.

All of the tricks and tips are great but I'm convinced that taking the weight off of my feet is what healed me.

Just my two cents.
    SDS

20. Katdaddy

Katdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have Rockport shoes for work and a pair of Vasque Sundowners and Merrill Moab Ventilators for hiking. I put Powerstep insoles in each and find them very comfortable.
    Regular stretching has also done a lot to prevent any further issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. 1Olddog

1Olddog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  22. Clarence Davidson

Clarence Davidson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After reading all of the above, I'm inclined to think these might be what you're looking for: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/new_products/minimalist_footwear.html I don't understand why people who are so interested in just the right outdoor gear, won't spend the money for good boots. Over the long haul, I'm convinced, Russells are cheaper than any of the brands so often mentioned here.

23. GrampaMike

GrampaMike Scout

Blog Posts:
    A different take on Plantar Fasciitis

I had this really bad this last year and learned a few things that helped for me. YMMV. First, all three (Yes, THREE!) doctors I wound up seeing told me to never go barefoot, even at home. Walking about barefoot apparently increases the strain on the tendon. They also recommended that I buy a pair of sturdy boots to minimize flexing and to wear insoles. Contrary to the OP's experience, I was told and was able to confirm that flat shoes and things like Crocs, although comfortable at first, are the wrong thing to wear long term as they aggravate the condition. I was told to avoid flat shoes entirely. I bought a pair of Hi-Tec Altitude IV boots for $80 and wore them continuously for weeks with aftermarket insoles from REI. They allowed me to take walks again with far less pain afterward.

Also, it helps to stretch your calf muscles daily, and in really severe cases, to wear a splint in bed at night that keeps your foot upright and your tendons stretched. Other than that, time and Advil and trying to minimize further trauma to the tendon is the thing.

I wish you good luck in your recovery. I sure know how painful that condition can be.

GrandpaMike

24. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I feel much better now that I:

Lost weight

Got thin, flat, floppy shoes and boots, and

Wear them everywhere.

Now my feet are stronger all over and more used to taking a pounding in flat shoes. They may not be ideal for heavy backpacking, but for every day use and dayhikes they're fine.

If you buy into that horseshit that they teach you in Scouts and always wear 5lb boots to "protect your feet and ankles," your feet and ankles will never be strong enough and you will always hurt anyway.

PMZ

25. hglass

hglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    as mentioned earlier the ''SOLE''insoles also done the trick for me. I purchased a pair from amazon & transfer them to whatever shoes i wear daily.

26. cranky1

cranky1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i have gone to wearing slip on hush puppies for the last 6 months or so. most relief i have had in years. those russel trackers look good too but i havent moved on them yet. kinda pricy. cheers jim

27. mischief

mischief Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have only one word of advise >>>---- TAPE---->

28. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I had to get two cortisone shots. First one did not work second one fine. That's the usual fix. Careful not to year it. Mine went away within a week or two.

29. NMPops

NMPops Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You need quality boots with a removable insole. Remove the insole and replace with an insole from a company such as Super Feet.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

30. pirogue

pirogue Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You asked for boots, and the majority of posts have not referenced boots. I've noticed because I've been fighting PF for about 6 months, and had 3 shots(my doc won't give any more), use splints nightly and have tried several different insoles, shoes, and Dr. provided orthotics. I own a pair of Russell Moccasins (mentioned above), and although they are a great boot, they are not made for PF. I've read a lot of info on PF and on several outdoor/hunting sites, and my recommendation is boots from Lathrop and Sons. I will have a pair before next hunting season.

31. MK-9

MK-9 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    As someone who has plantar fasciitis myself, don't limit yourself to a pair or two of boots or shoes. Get to a podiatrist, have them make you some inserts. It's not cheap (mine were $300 10 years ago), but you can move them in & out of whatever pair of shoes or boots you want.

32. justme2

justme2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Word. Always support your arch. Red Wing Shoes Stores have some blue inserts that my doctor told me about. They work great. I have them in my boots and tennies. Using a frozen water bottle on the bottom of your foot also helps.