Best value all around GPS nowadays

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by woodsman79, Jan 2, 2014.

1. woodsman79

woodsman79 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, at the moment I am still using my trusty Lowrance iFinder Go2. lowranceifindergo2left.jpg It has been a hell of good little handheld gps, but considering it was released in 2005, it is now starting to show it's age. I'd like to find something that is very similar in capability, but more modern with usb, a lot more internal memory than 64mb(micro SD?), and the ability to be updated. I've been out of the handheld GPS game for a while now and am wondering what is the best budget GPS for the hiker/camper/geocacher. I'd like detailed topo and roadmaps on my next model.

2. north-woodsman

north-woodsman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to know too.

3. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    The Garmin eTrex are nice low cost GPS. The eTrex 20 is $200 retail so street price is less. Got 1.7 gigs of internal memory as well as accepts micro SD cards. The Dakota 10 is a nice alternative too. It's a little less than the eTrex on the feature side, but it does have a touch screen.

4. Naegling

Naegling Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked into using an prepaid Android phone with an app like BackCountry Navigator? You can get a Kyocera Hydro for around $50 (Amazon link below for $43...) and the app is something like $9. All maps are free downloads from the net over wifi and can be stored on a regular SD card in the phone. The GPS in phones usually get pretty good reviews, just another idea... And for that price you could buy a solar charger and still be less than $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Hydro-Prepaid-Android-Mobile/dp/B008P2O89E

http://backcountrynavigator.com/

5. north-woodsman

north-woodsman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The problem with using cell phone apps as gps is the battery life and signal receiption.

6. Naegling

Naegling Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Battery life can be bad. About a days heavy use is all you are going to get out of one. However a couple of spare batteries off of ebay will only run you about $10. And with a external battery or solar, you can run them for ever.

As for reception, most phones get as good or better reception than stand alone devices. Just my 2 cents, nothing scientific on that. Also - I would take the higher screen resolution on a phone anytime.

7. uscgboatie

uscgboatie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought that the GPS on the phone diddent need a connection or to use data to work. Is this false? Not my speciality.

8. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Garmin Foretrex 401

9. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I use my 401 for everything. I like it so much that I own 2 of them. BUUUUUT, it doesn't have maps. The OP specifically wants topo and road maps.

10. Naegling

Naegling Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I should have specified - I meant GPS connection not cellular. You will need a program that stores your maps locally on your phone (GPS) though.

11. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. I've never relied on my phone for navigation, but I've tried using Google's My Tracks app to record hiking routes and such, and I've been disappointed every single time. The GPS receiver just isn't up to the task (on any phone I've tried).

12. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I still use my trusty Garmin gpsmap 60cx. I dont think they make them anymore, but its never let me down. I use it alot for geocaching, and hiking. Car navigation, I strictly use my cell phone (which I suspect most people do these days). I just looked on Garmins site, and I dont see the 60 listed-but there is a 62 model. I have no experience with it, so I cant comment on that one,

13. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been using Trimble Outdoors Backpacker GPS Trails Lite and I like it. You download map sections by county or state or even by National Park. So long as you have a GPS signal you will be on track. Also, using this on my Samsung Rugby. Tough as nails!

14. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Did I forget to mention that you can plan your trip online and then load it into your phone? :4: Then you can share it...

15. Defens

Defens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've gone through quite a few GPS units since they first hit the market. Currently have a Zumo 550 on my big motorcycle, a Montana for all purpose use (Jeep, dirt bike, and hiking) and an eTrex 20 for less weight when hiking. The little eTrex is a great unit, only giving up screen size and a few functions to the bigger and more expensive Montana. The eTrex 10 is a bit too stripped down for my preferences, and the eTrex 30 has an altimeter and electronic compass that I don't need. GPSCity.com usually has good prices on Garmin gear, although there are other online sources. I actually bought my eTrex from REI.

You can use free, downloadable maps in the Garmin units as well - don't need to buy their relatively expensive ones. You just need to become familiar with a few (free) tools for manipulating map data and getting it into the unit.

16. almac

almac Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own a garmin 60csx and am happy with it. it is very durable, has a color screen, and somewhat water resistant. I wouldn't swim with it, but its fine in the rain.

[​IMG]
    I keep a small piece of plastic wrap on my screen to protect it from scratches.
    sorry for the very bad, and old cel phone pic.

17. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    One of the best units ever made wish I could still find one!!! I have 3 garmins and dispise the company cust serv sucks! I have an etrex, vista and dakota all are OK but that unit you have rocks

18. Empty Quiver

Empty Quiver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if they are still available. I picked up a previous generation Garmin Oregon for bit. Under $250 included the topo maps. I am happy with it paid less than I did for my first Magellin that is now over 12 yrs old and included nothing.

19. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Batteries and reception are never a problem with a map and compass. :59:

Steve

20. Win3855

Win3855 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Try these guys.... www.Delorme.com I use a PN30 with my truck,snowmobile, 4 -wheeler and hiking. I have had it 4 years and no problems.