Bladescroungers 1st annual build/swap!

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Blackhawk45hunter, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Vendor Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    ok this is the official progress thread. The conception/entry thread is:Bladescroungers winter project build-along/swap

The rules were covered in the entry thread and the only other rules I'll reiterate here are,

1. post something to maintain a spot near the top and edit that post as your build progresses

2. Limit of 10 pics per build or 1 video

3. Let's try to keep discussion in the other thread at least until everyone has their build posts started. I'd like to keep this clean looking so everyone can watch and keep up with everything going on.

1. Blackhawk45hunter - done
    2. L3mon - done
    3. BigHat - done
    4. MrFixIt - done
    5. SmilinJoe - done
    6. Duct Tape
    7.ironworker78 - done
    8. holmesmade - done
    9. R Stowe - done
    10. Flint Bone - done?
    11. Zaveral - done
    12. Sonofadoublegun - done
    13. tiny80022 - done
    14. JackOfClubs - done
    15. Guillaume Longval - done
    16. Judge - done
    17. NCSlice - done
    18. Chevrolet4x4s - done
    19. bladesmith3 - done
    20. ChrisOCLM - done
    21. CampCowan - done
    22. byksm - done
    23. Grizzled Grizzly - done
    24. 138zacvining - done
    25. WonderingWoodsman - done
    26. Wolfcri - done
    27. Prybry - done

If anyone has any questions, drop me a PM!

Let the games begin!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017 at 12:00 PM
  2. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Vendor Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Cut out and profiled!
    I am using a coal miners crosscut saw as my blade steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. Judge

Judge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Click here for full SmugMug Slideshow of build

01/20/2017
    Sanding. Lots of sanding
    [​IMG]
    Getting the handles setup.
    The wood is teak scavenged from an old patio table and the brass is stuff I had laying around
    [​IMG]
    01/23/17
    We fall off the rails here
    [​IMG]
    So weld it I do! I made sure to protect the blade from heat and prep the crack, however having a welding machine does not make one a welder any more than my golf clubs make me a golfer! I did the grind and weld thing 4-5 times trying to get an inclusion free result...finally I had just had enough
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    01/24/17
    Damn the torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead! Prep and epoxy day
    [​IMG]
    01/25/2017
    Shaping and sanding
    [​IMG]
    Tung oil & teak!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some test shavings.
    I forgot to stamp a mark but the inclusions in the metal make it very distinctive.
    Until this point every knife I've built has been better than the last. This one does not follow that trend (to me)but it has been chock full of learning experiences! It's appropriate that this is the knife for the BCUSA Bladescrounger swap as I here by declare it BS1

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  4. tiny80022

tiny80022 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1593.JPG IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1596.JPG IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598.JPG Well here she is. I'll take "glamour" shots tomorrow
    IMG_1577.JPG I ditched my original design. Decided to go with no plan. I cut a piece of sawmill blade and went to work forging. This is what I came up with. It's forged all the way to the edge. I'm leaving the forge marks on it, because, well, I love the way it looks. Differentially heat treated with my torch. I chopped at a hickory axe handle piece to test the heat treat. No edge damage so i moved on to the handle. I'm using some wood I've had for awhile. It's redwood if I recall. Leather spacers. I used aluminum tent stakes for pins. It's glued up and curing now. I'll start on shaping and sanding the handle tomorrow.

IMG_1563.JPG IMG_1564.JPG IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    2 Old Hickory Butchers arrived today! Yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores all failed me, so I hunted online and my wife had a discount card, so scrounged as best I could. Time to finalize a design and get to work!

Design is done and traced onto the blade, but there will be some evolution as I go along. Primarily, getting the curves and such from my ideas to actually get squeezed into the blade. Pencils only go so far and then the files and such get to add in those half a smidgen changes.
    Also, waiting for a new lock pin assembly to get here in a few days so I can try out the new diamond cutting discs I found. Should be much less shattered bits flying around, now!

Cutting is done, profile is completed and I'm well on the way of getting the edge reset and nearly finished.
    Still have to decide what I want to use for handle scales and whether to cord wrap, or not.

Gotta get a pic host to co-operate. Photosuckit is still a no-go and Flickr is uncooperative with my dumb pad. Getting the proper link to copy/paste is difficult, at best.

My new-to-me scroll saw does not like hickory, or splitting short chunks of old axe handle. Completely buggered my handle scales with lots of drift. Would have been salvageable if I was doing an inletted tang, but full tang is right out.
    Made new scales out of old shelving I scrounged a while back, but it pretty much requires a cord wrap because it's laminated blocks. It's worked well on a couple other projects, so I know it'll work. Just need that extra bit of insurance.

New scales drilled with 9/64" bit, force threaded with 8/32 bolts and temp pinned together off the tang with 1/8" dowel. Basic contours shaped with the scroll saw, then rough shaped on the 1x30 belt sander with 80 grit belt, then bolted to the tang and sanded to the tang for closest fit before glue up.
    Everything is epoxied and bolted together including the threads forced into the scales, then nuts run down and snugged to ensure an exactly flat to the tang glue up. Once the epoxy sets, I'll remove the nuts and trim the bolts with my fancy, little dollar store hacksaw, which works far better than I expected.
    Unfortunately, I was so focused on getting stuff done, I forgot to take pictures of the whole process. Kinda kicking myself for that.

Got the handle shaped, finish sanded, stained with chestnut Minwax, sealed with a few coats of thinned BLO, wrapped with jute that's been brushed and singed, loaded with resin and rough spots smoothed. Also got the edge sharpened with a sorta convex on my Edge-Pro.

Gonna knock out a sheath-like object to help keep it safe in shipping. Maybe the intended owner will like it enough to keep it!

https://flic.kr/p/RMMG7U

Hopefully, the pic works... The knife is done and shown with what it started as, the original knife I made a while back that is the precursor to the one I made for this swap and the Otzi-like object that came out of the scraps.
    The axe is a no-name that I picked up for $3 a while back, restored and built the mask for it out of bits of couch. Figured I'd show that I haven't just been writing a silly story!

https://flic.kr/p/R3drbr

Finished pic with craptastic sheath-like thing!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Saved

I'll start!
    As you can see, my blade steel is a piece of an old crosscut saw. I've been using this steel for a while and have had no issues with chipping, rolling or edge retention. I do not heat treat this.
    I had my nephew (who works at a large machine shop/welding company) to cut it to size.

BSchallenge.jpg

I ended up with a piece of steel @ 4 1/2" long and roughly 1 1/2" wide.
    I'll utilize a piece of a sledge hammer handle for it.

BSchallenge2.jpg

Sketched out the shape, time for some grinding...

BSchallenge3.jpg

After grinding out the shape I wanted, I used a file to clean up and smooth the grinding marks.
    Time for a vinegar bath to help remove the rust and give a nice patina...

BSchallenge4.jpg

I'll continue later on.

Pulled the blade out of the vinegar bath last night and gave it a scrub with a brass brush. Was still rusty looking so I put it back in for another 24 hours.

Update: I've started working on the handle, I'll post pics later.

Update #2: Was able to work on my handle a bit more. I used my drawknife to remove the biggest portion of extra bulk. Got it glued and pinned.

BSchallenge5.jpg

Update #3
    I was able to finish my entry, and, I kinda made a sheath...

BSchallenge6.jpg

BSchallenge7.jpg

BSchallenge8.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Update 2/5/2017
    Update 2/6/17

Finished knife
    IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG

I finally got a chance to do some work on this. This is going to be my first time doing this....Here goes....I used an old Ontario (Old Hickory style) boning knife and shortened it up and reground it. I have had this for a bit now and always imagined it as a bird & trout knife.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Using Mesquite for my scales and copper pins.
    image.jpeg

Funny!

image.jpeg

All glued up and will be ready for shaping tomorrow. Stay tuned for the finished product!

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Scout

Blog Posts:
    First sketchs

A few keepers already!

Update: i have much less time in the shop than anticipated... I kind of got carryed away at first and wanted to experiment several thing. :rolleyes:

So that is the one ( sight : only one...) Im working on. :D

IMG_20170106_124545405.jpg

Old file, old ratchet thing and cool pallet wood. I hope to wedge the tang inside the ratchet. Axe head style, no glue. Will not have time to do a full heat treat, so i have been carefull while grinding and will try to temper in the home oven "scrounger style", just to make it slightly less britle.

Update 2:
    Nice to have some time in the shop...even if everything went wrong. One of those days...

Fit and shaping of the handle

IMG_20170114_121503930.jpg

Up to there, everything was just perfect. Than, while making the tang slot, my 1/16 drill bit snapped inside. Passed an hour trying to retreive it. Than, decided to shape the tang to fit.... Tapered the tang to use as a wedge: too tight a fit. Too frustrated to stop. I broke the handle with a wrong angle too strong swing...those days! IMG_20170114_140833550.jpg

Too bad, it was a very nice looking one. I think im gona try to add hidden pins and drown it in epoxy. Hopefully, if it goes well, im gona finish it in time.

I guess it cannot always work out as planned when experimenting...

Update 42

I think the repair worked all right.
    Since the tang is going only 3/4" in the wood, i put some garbage found copper wire almost 2" in the wood. Notched everything for glue grip, and drowned it in epoxy.
    IMG_20170120_144757916.jpg IMG_20170120_144743394.jpg

And glued.

By the way, i have big hands so i made a 5"1/8 handle to a 3"1/2 blade...o_O;)

For futur reference: mystery heat treat with oven temper at 400, witch gave me kind of a dark straw.

Warning: experimental work, batoning excluded from warranty:p.

There is just the sheat and sharpening left. Beauty pics to come.

Final update.

Blade sharpened to 4000 on water stones. Perfect for kitchen duty, just needs a quick strop for woodcarving.

Found material for 5 sheats at a thrift store. :16: baseball glove!

Made a wood sleeve out of an unused friction fire hearth:14:. Wraped it quick in artificial sinew. Simply stuck in the thumb!

Shaked it upside down. Holding very well. Sinew "grébiche" stitch where i cut the glove, and voila!
    IMG_20170128_114259385.jpg
    IMG_20170107_174945969.jpg
    IMG_20170128_121400163.jpg IMG_20170128_124430756.jpg IMG_20170128_125326533.jpg

From trying it with diner food prep, i like it a lot. Two small things to improve next time: go less heavy on the bolster, and go more oval on the bolster... It flips automatically cutting edge up on a flat surfaceo_O.

Not perfect, but im quite happy with the result. Hope the one to receive it likes it!
    :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  9. prybry

prybry Scout

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-12-7_8-58-23.png View attachment 344225 IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0107.JPG Those are yours, this one is MINE...

Already posted my initial design on the other thread, but to keep it all together, lets start with it here...
    Sort of a cleaned up Tracker.
    upload_2016-12-7_8-58-23.png
    Material will be a pair of old mower blades. I say pair since I will be building two knives... One to practice various steps and the other to be the final product.
    Handle material at the moment is expected to be a bank line wrap with epoxy coating.
    As for the sheath, I'm thinking about a piece of heated and flattened PVC pipe... but we'll see.

Two mower blades to straighten... View attachment 344225

Fire up the forge...
    View attachment 344228

New belt grinder mounted up and ready to go to work...
    IMG_0106.JPG

Flat blades cooling on either side of forge opening, third blade in the forge...
    IMG_0107.JPG

Blade layout with plexiglass pattern from paper CAD print...
    IMG_0108.JPG

Finally picked up a new blade for my band saw, got the two blanks cut out.
    Just need to fire up the forge again and flatten out some minor warping.
    IMG_0111.JPG

Rough edge grinding done...
    IMG_0113.JPG

Heat treating....
    IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

Finished with glow in the dark para cord!
    Now to pick which one to trade...
    IMG_0117.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Adventurer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    COPPERHEAD

My original plan had to be altered a bit because of shop space and access to tools. So, I will be using a blade I purchased. This is not the route I hoped to go but it is what it is...

To go with it, I have scrounged copper wire, some snakeskin micarta, and a piece of 1/8" copper stock which I had started to use for another project but then aborted.

I had access to a milling machine this weekend so I inletted the micarta for the tang and then cut some copper.

The last pic shows the basic idea. The knife is currently gluing with 2 ton epoxy. After that's set I will begin shaping the handle.

IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6571.JPG
    IMG_6573.JPG
    IMG_6575.JPG

Update:

I had an issue with the copper buttplate loosening so I scrapped that idea. If I could do it over, I would find a way to pin it to ensure that it stayed secure permanently. The copper ring up at the blade is secure. I had machined it so that it would be pinched between the blade and the handle so I think it will stay put. I doubt anyone will baton a 2.8" puukko type blade anyway.

Shaping the handle is what I was the most nervous about. I was intimidated by the symmetry aspect of it but I think it came out well. My goal with the handle was to make something that would work in my XL hands and still fit those as small as a child's. Goblin (son) found it comfortable too.

Here's the COPPERHEAD

IMG_6701.JPG
    IMG_6705.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  11. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    THIS IS MY FIRST TIME doing the scrounging swap idea. if this is not what the spirit of the project is, please let me know. I am sure I could come up with some more ideas. thanks.
    I am starting out with a yard sale Chicago cutlery santoku. seems forged solid chunk of full tang steel.
    holds a very good edge. I drew a blade shape that I use all the time. based on a knife I made several years ago. it has a 5" cutting edge.
    photos
    1. base Chicago cutlery santoku
    2. basic shape drawn on blade
    3. blade roughed out. 90 degree spine cut. throws great sparks. I tried it. the handle will be ground to shape next and sized for the wrap to follow.
    OK I have been moving right along.
    4. I had to reshape and grind down the profile of the handle by almost 50% to get the feel I wanted with the wrap. I carved a channel in the bottom of the handle to
    anchor the wrap so that there would not be a lump under the wrap. this way the wrap stays in place but nice and smooth from front to back. I soaked the wrap in very hot water and dried it. the wrap is very tight and I think will stay in place for a very long time. but it could be taken off and used in an emergency situation. about 9' of 550 paracord.
    5. then a simple taco kydex sheath. I only had brass hardware but I will blacken it next.
    6. here you can see the almost finished knife with the ruler showing the 5" cutting edge.

2a.jpg 3a.jpg 4a.jpg 5a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  12. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This will do just fine.

I don't have a garage or shop, dang apartment living, but I've made due before so I decided to mod an Old Hickory that I've had around forever. It was some new old stock from a mom and pop store down the road.

I used my dremel and cutting wheel to give it a spear point.

[​IMG]

Then I backed the rivets outs with hopes of reusing them and popped the scales off. I have some bird eye maple that I got in a knife kit that I ended up using different scales on.

Then I used the dremel, some filing, and some sanding to start working on the bevel at the tip.

[​IMG]

Tonight I'm cutting the scales and getting them pinned and epoxied. Tomorrow I hope to get them completely sanded and stained before applying the last few steps.

Pinned and sanded

[​IMG]

Shaped and ready for a wrap.

[​IMG]

I got it wrapped and stained this weekend. I just need to touch up the edge and add a coat of oil to scales. I'll post final pics after work.

Here's the finale...so the bad news... I couldn't seem to polish out the scratches from the sanding. I'm sure they'll sharpen and strop out eventually.

[​IMG]

However, the handle came out pretty well. The cordage is scrounged from a broken pool stick from work. It's super thin but strong and I think it adds a cool pattern.

[​IMG]

And here's the final product. It ain't pretty but it's pretty sharp and I think it'll wear in well.

[​IMG]

Thanks to @Blackhawk45hunter for putting this together. It definitely was a great project.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM
  13. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, I shattered it. Not sure how or why. This was my first attempt at anything like this, so I will learn from the experience. Unfortunately this means I will not have a knife to give away as part of the swap. I apologize, but I must now drop out. I will certainly try again but I don't think it will be any time soon.

--------------------------------------
    My progress thus far:

1. Starting with an old hacksaw blade.
    1204161231.jpg

2. Taking shape.
    1204161249.jpg

3. Epoxy drying. 14819934224691308629266.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. byksm

byksm Scout

Blog Posts:
    im doing a pair of friction folders.
    using a some scraps of o1, that are too small for much else, some hardwood flooring and stainless weld wire.

used a tack and paper pattern to locate the pivot and stop pins.

[​IMG]

i shaped and ground the blades with my grinder and dressed the tang with files.

[​IMG]

my buddy set me up in his shop to plane the wood and cut slots for the blades.
    handles will be one piece.

[​IMG]

after locating a drilling for the pins, i cut and started shaping the handles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i loaned out my grinders so im using die makers stones to hand finish the bevels.

[​IMG]

the oak handle got rubbed with pine tar and its blade treated with plum brown.
    the other, i think may be brazilian cherry, got waxed and a black blade.

[​IMG]

peening the pins.
    wish i had some carbon steel wire to use... the bright stainless clashes.

[​IMG]

ceramic rods and a strop to finish.

[​IMG]

final shot.

[​IMG]

so my lovely wife has laid claim to the cherry handled knife for herself.
    shes past due for some new pocket jewelry.
    that leaves the oak with browned blade for one of you fine people.
    hope it serves you well.

ive had fun with this project and love seeing yours take shape as well.
    look forward to the next one.

have fun.
    -p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  15. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    the epoxy is drying, tomorrow i'll finish it up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all done. the handle ended up a bit smaller than i wanted, but it's finished. full rat tail tang.

my sheath making skills are even worse than my knife making skills... so no sheath.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  16. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My knife is finally finished. After starting with a big wrench and forging it into a dual tang with integral guard, I found out that it was made of mild steel! I couldn't get it to harden so I scrapped it and started this knife. It is make from a broken leaf spring piece off a mail truck. In this pic, you can see the spring coming up to temperature.

I made this forge over a year ago from plans I got from Ed Caffrey. He was very nice to help me via email when I had questions. This may not be the most efficient forge design but it will get HOT! and it's easy to build. It requires 100 pounds of refractory cement so it isn't real cheap either. It would be more efficient if I had some fire brick to block the ends a little.

[​IMG]

I was too busy while forging to snap any pics. I did a rough grind and got it close to the profile that I had planned.

[​IMG]

Here is the little fixture I made from an old bed frame that had T shaped beams. Its easy to hold in the vise and clamp blades to it for hand sanding. I know the bench is a cluttered mess. I should have cleaned it up for the pic!

[​IMG]

Here I have drilled the first hole for the pin and have the pin holding it in place to drill the next pin hole. I drilled the wood while it was still a block and then later cut it into scales on the table saw.

Btw the wood is leopardwood given to me by @ozarkhunter in a giveaway. This is great stuff. Really hard and when I started contouring it, it revealed some very interesting grain.
    [​IMG]

Scales and pins have been glued up with west system epoxy. That is great epoxy designed to build wooden boats with. I have used it to build a wood strip canoe in the past.

[​IMG]

This is an outdoor pic with the scales just roughed out. The blade really looks shiny in the sunshine.

[​IMG]

Here is the completed knife in the sheath. I thought I had some build pics on the sheath but can't find them. I have a left hand version of this sheath mostly finished if whoever gets it is left handed. I accidentally made the first one lefty and made this one for the right handed folks.
    [​IMG]

Here is the knife ready to be shipped out and the reverse side of the sheath. I had a great time making these two knives and learned a lot in the process.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  17. Grizzled Grizzly

Grizzled Grizzly Scout

Blog Posts:
    20170117_183748.jpg 20170117_183707.jpg 20170117_183655.jpg

Well I hope this counts as scrounging! I made this blade about 6 years ago with the help of a blacksmith setup at a re-enactment encampment. It has sat in full rough state collecting dust on my gun cabinet top ever since. So, I figured I would finish it and give it a home. I ground the blade down on my 2x42 leaving some of the rough forge finish on the upper part of the blade and doing a nice full convex edge to 0 with no secondary bevel. This will get a sheath in the next few days to finish it up. It shaves and slices paper :). It's as hard as it can be for a MC marked spike...so take that as you will.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  18. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ok... Heeeeeeere we go!

I started with an Old Hickory Butcher that I picked up at a yard sale ('twas new, but came dull, so they sold it for a buck, lol).

I am kind of tools-limited at the moment, so, I put the blade in a vice at the "cut point" and snapped it off with a hammer. :) I then drew a quick idea for the blade shape.

[​IMG]

I put her on the belt sander (1x30) and brought the blade roughly into shape. I also took a little meat off to get the bevels started a little.

[​IMG]

I had decided on a full convex-to-zero grind with no secondary bevel, so out came the stones. I put Die Hard on Netflix and hand ground the initial bevels.

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up.

[​IMG]

After that was done, I had a ham sammich (lol), let my hands rest, then got back to it! I used progressively finer stones until the bevels were right and then gave her a "satin" finish with a sanding sponge. Here is a shot of the finished blade before stropping. M'mmm convexxy gooodness! :18:

[​IMG]

I stropped the blade until it was nice and clean, then did a couple test cuts. She slices paper effortlessly and makes great curls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afterwards, I took a leather sheath that I had picked up at a gun show with rotted stitching and resewed it with a strand of inner paracord. It fits perfectly!

[​IMG]

I decided to leave the handle as-is, because I find it very comfortable, and because at my skill level, I would only make it worse... :15: I did stain it with some used coffee grounds, then oil it, FYI.

Edited to add: I have learned a bit more about convexing since I "made" this knife, so I wanted to dial the edge up a bit before I shipped it... Here are a couple pics!

20170220_072927.jpg

20170220_082502.jpg

20170220_082528.jpg

20170220_082544.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this post! :dblthumb:

Best,
    Jamie

*edited for typos, and because I kicked it up a notch!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM
  19. flintbone

flintbone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess this spot looks like the place for me.
    I have an old crosscut saw that I plan to use for my blade.
    I'm just gonna sit a spell and do some planning.

20. ChrisOCLM

ChrisOCLM Knife Addict Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well everyone else is reserving a spot, so here I stake my claim!

Mine will be 1084 steel, and the design etc? Well I'm still throwing some ideas around for that, but I think I have a cool design I'm going to try out.

Quick design update here. Will be working on mine tomorrow. Messed up while profiling one blank and took too much off so I need to start over. Anyhow here is the design I'm making: a wharncliff/sheepsfoot style puuko. 1" wide 1084 steel, 3-1/2" blade, scandi grind. I've got my material for handle scales as well, I found a nice piece of what appears to be mahogany on a pallet at work. I may change this possibly but we will see.
    image.jpeg

Update edit. Got some work done today.

Profiling the blank
    image.jpeg

Done with the profile except for a few small tweaks you will see at the end
    image.jpeg

Drilling the pin holes. Should have dug out my calipers and done this a bit better but decided to eye ball it instead.
    image.jpeg

Finished profiled and drilled blank. I also counter sank a bit around the edges of my pin holes for a small place for more epoxy to go. I may drill a couple more holes for epoxy and balance as well.

image.jpeg
    Forge all set up ready to go

image.jpeg

Normalization cycles
    image.jpeg

And right after the quench. We now have hard 1084 steel ladies and gentlemen.
    image.jpeg

Finished hand sanding the handles. I believe them to be mahogany, all I know for sure is its wood from a pallet!
    image.jpeg

And the finished knife. Did a quick bank line wrap with #18 tarred bank line, just cuz I like the look and am a little obsessed with handle wraps lately. Hand Sanded handle and flats of blade to 400. Bevels at 400 also. Polished micro secondary edge for strength. She's sharp that's for sure. Kept things fairly primitive, didn't go for perfection or even close.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM
  21. l3mon

l3mon Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my submission, it's not what I wanted to make but it's what I could do. More of a kitchen/camp knife. Stainless steel.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  22. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Double grinnnddd [emoji33][emoji33][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is it too late to register ?

Zaveral, Chevrolet4x4s and MrFixIt like this.
  24. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here are my raw materials. I have a couple people keeping their eyes out at flea markets for some carbon blades. These are j a henkels kitchen knives. Don't let the handle fool ya, they only have an inch or so for tang, both handles have blown out so only the blades will be used.
    [​IMG]
    These are my humble tools for the job, dremel and angle grinder with a couple clamps.
    [​IMG]
    Got both cut out and shaped to size. Did my best to keep things cool with a bucket of snow. Used up a bunch of tiny little cutting wheels.
    [​IMG]
    One is designed as a skinner and the other is mora ish. Using copper and cedar for pins and scales.

Skinner broke in half trying to center punch for drilling. Anealed the handle on the other and had no problems
    Epoxy tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Epoxy curing, exciting
    [​IMG]
    Shaping done and the first coat of BLO applied.
    [​IMG]
    I really dig the wood grain. Made sure to match it up.
    [​IMG]
    Wet forming a sheath. Gonna be a deep ride in this one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  25. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Bump, 'cause I'm finished!!
    :9:

26. JackOfClubs

JackOfClubs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've started to whittle the handle chunk to shape, It's a process and I've made a few mistakes, but they'll buff out.

Here's a sneak peek of my blade material annealing in our fireplace. [​IMG]

I split up a bunch more wood today and decided it was time for another fire. In the hot coals, I re-annealed my stock to remove more stresses in the steel and to get it as soft as possible to begin working on with my limited tools. School has bit chunks out of shop time, so this steel probably has less stress than me. On the bright side, I just got a new bench grinder from a family friend! Yippee!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  27. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    I' got the rough blank cut and the pattern sketched onto it.
    Shane
    Isn't exactly what I had envisioned ... going to throw some more sparks and see if I like it more.
    15817593_1516761148358187_289665943_o.jpg
    Here is where I have ended up. grind is full height to fix my screwups still not 100% happy with it and may end up going with something else entirely. What do you all think?
    Shane

EDIT: Drilled for pins and lanyard tube still need to make the handles, life has been busy lately.

Finished up. Leather scales, front pin went a little goofy when fitting it together, but it kinda flows at an angle with the slope of the handle.
    16425648_1561819540519014_191937839_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  28. l3mon

l3mon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bump, I posted my finished knife

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

29. SmilinJoe

Blog Posts:
    @prybry please tell us more about your belt sander set up. I've never seen one attachable to a bench grinder.

30. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    Too funny!
    Shane

Zaveral, byksm and MrFixIt like this.
  31. clanmaki

clanmaki Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It is an attachment for a bench grinder from trick tools. Just look up tricktools.com.

32. SmilinJoe

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! Pretty cool.

Chevrolet4x4s, clanmaki and MrFixIt like this.
  33. ironworker78

ironworker78 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    Started with a short piece of 3/4" wire rope.
    [​IMG]
    Hammered into a flatbar
    [​IMG]
    Cut out a blank
    [​IMG]
    heat treat complete
    [​IMG]
    bevel and etching complete
    [​IMG]
    handle applied
    [​IMG]
    Finished. I will not be making a sheath as I have run out of time.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  34. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    love the cable blank

Zaveral, Chevrolet4x4s and MrFixIt like this.
  35. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    I think it looks great!

Zaveral and Chevrolet4x4s like this.
  36. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Scout

Blog Posts:
  37. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure where your going with the socket "axe head style"
    But I sure does love the blade and the handle. So I'm sur the outcome will look stunning!

38. Gizamo

Gizamo Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Keep the coming...

Chevrolet4x4s, Zaveral and MrFixIt like this.
  39. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like where you are going with this! :):44:

40. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh god! Why am I not in this swap! Can't wait for the next one

Those friction folder are gold!

41. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I had better get in on the next one!

I've got an idea already.

42. WonderingWoodsman

WonderingWoodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here it is. Started with a railroad spike. Shaped it and did my grinding on a belt sander then I took the Dremel to it with a cut off wheel to put grips on the spine for your thumb and put a edge on it with my Work Sharp knife sharpener. I then wrapped it in a piece of paper towel and placed in a Ziploc bag and poured apple cider vinegar to give it a pitena. IMG_20170108_141359325.jpg IMG_20170110_145720156.jpg IMG_20170110_145725401.jpg IMG_20170110_165609959.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  43. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Scout

Blog Posts:
    Edit post+ more options

44. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    This knife would have been beyond what I can call in English. Your craftsmanship is amazing. I'm sure you'll save it, and it'll work fine, and we won't even notice!!

Your knives sir, are amazing! You're pushing boundaries to this swap.

I would like to tell everybody that you're doing a hell of a job, you're all having your style, and each knife are very cool!

45. byksm

byksm Scout

Blog Posts:
    bummer!

that was some impressive elbow grease you had going.

46. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My blade is in the oven right now tempering. I thought I would try some forging. This will be the first blade that I have ever forged. I used an old open end wrench. It was rough going for a while and I am sure I didn't get all the twists and dents out but so for it has actually ended up OK. I thought I was gonna have to go to plan B and scrap the mangled mess. I have pics on the camera and on the phone. I will try to figure out how to get them put up here this weekend. I still have to get some handles on it and make a sheath.

47. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Can't wait to see it !

48. Serkaugh

Serkaugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Deadline is coming fast!

49. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yé! The repair worked.

50. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bump. My build is posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk