boots Danner or Chippewa

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by DavyJR, May 17, 2011.

1. DavyJR

DavyJR Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have any experience with either of these?

2. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    buy the ones that FIT. Both are good brands. But the best boot will give you blisters (or worse) if it isn't the right shape for your foot.

3. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    IMHO Danners are the bomb for me , found them early and have stuck with them , the chippewas look lik a good boot but have never tried them.

4. Metalguy

Metalguy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been VERY dissapointed with my last two pairs of Danners. They were the Chinese variety though. I have a pair of Pronghorns (?), that are shot after 9 months. I've been switching over to Bates military issue myself. So far, I'm pretty impressed. Especially with the price.

5. Spiffyguy

Spiffyguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For what it is worth, I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns that are doing well for me. No leaks so far. Although they are the China ones, all I could afford at the time.

6. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been - or was - pleased with my MUSA Danner Ft. Lewis boots. Top quality, bombproof, comfortable, and warm.

I have nothing against any particular brand, but bear in mind that most Made in China boots are literally just branded for whomever the reseller is and are sold to specific price points. That doesn't mean you can't get decent quality MIC boots, but be aware that the name on the side doesn't always measure the value.

7. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only Danners I've worn are the 453 GTX, I like em cause I can get them off the shelf in EE, difficult to find wide boots for me, they last about a year and half of daily wear before the soles smooth out, still fine for yard work for a time after that, I've been buy em for about 6 years now, maybe longer...

never had the chippewa boots

8. dead short

dead short Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have nothing but praise for my Fort Lewis boots. I wear them to work everyday for the last 12 years. Michigan - all year round. Warm, waterproof, and the fit my foot like a moccasin. Break in period for me is usually measured in days rather than weeks. Before that is was Rocky's. Two words - they sucked.

Never worn the others.

9. nemoaz

nemoaz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had extensive experience with Danners and they are excellent boots especially for hard use.

The exception would probably be the lightweight Strikers. They were not particularly sturdy.

Bates is equivalent to off the shelf stuff at Walmart and Kmart. I've never had anything from Bates that lasted long especially when worn in the field in the desert. It is however lightweight.

Just my 1.5 cents.

10. alex30808

alex30808 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bates just stink!!! literally!!! Got a set of side zip boots and them were the nastiest things I've ever had! They did not breathe and sucked in water!!! Bates...NEVER AGAIN!!!

I want to try a pair of Danner boots...best friend is a Game Warden and he has been in Danner boots for over 15 years and swears by them...he says that with the miles he puts on them that I could get closet to 3 years of wear out of a pair of them. He's got a pair of strikers and likes them due to the light weight and tennis shoe comfort but will be quick to tell ya that they don't last as long as his pronghorns!!!

11. Metalguy

Metalguy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could afford a pair of Danners made here in the USA. They are EXCELLENT. They do hold up very well. Like I said, personally I won't be buying any anymore unless they are made here.

12. Gravitas

Gravitas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been aching to pull the trigger on a pair of Danner RAT temperate boots. Just can't find the strength to pony up the dough ;)

13. Zoev

Zoev Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Danners aren't too popular here. The sole has a tendancy to flake away in the rocks. Rockys S2V boots only cost $20 more and are nearly indestructable. I prefer the issue ones myself.
    Though you have to account that we wear boots everyday all day.

14. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple pairs of Chippewas and they are my favorite boots hands down. I'm cold natured and I wear them in the winter mainly.
    But they wear like iron and are comfortable, a little clunky.
    Made in the U.S.A. with a lifetime warranty, you can't beat that.
    I've heard good things about Danners, too but have never owned a pair.
    Iz

15. therecyclingviking

therecyclingviking Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought the cabalas elk hunters made by danner and they are the best boots I have ever owned. I don't think I will ever buy anything else.

16. ratherbecampin

ratherbecampin Scout

Blog Posts:
    My experience with Danners kinda lean both ways. I wore them for 12 hour shifts for about a year. The soles are very soft, which makes for a comfortable walk but within a year I needed to replace them. The soles were so heavy to me that if seemed as if I had just stepped in a big ol hunk of clay and it was stuck. You know the feeling when you have to sling your foot to get it off.

17. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Danners vs...

Having worn military issue as well as Bate's,and Danners.

Military hold up...but do blow out in a big way normally.

Bates..never again. (nuff said)

Have had the same pair of Danners (American made) since 1989. Have had them resoled 4 times...and sent them back to Danner to be "reconditioned" once.

I have worn them in every type of terrain you can imagine to include more then once using them as "scuba booties" with Navy rocket fins.

Danner gets my vote hands down...sure the price will sting a bit at first...but it is well worth it.

My Danners are one of my 3 must haves when I go in the bush.

Just my 2 cents.

18. tilt

tilt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of the Chippewa snake boots. I've been wearing them as my summer boot since 2007, same pair and barely any wear on the soles yet. They are crazy stout boots. My only warning is to break them in well with some saddle soap on the leather parts.

My Danner experience was also positive. I had a pair of matterhorns and Ft Lewis boots which I wore throughout my entire Air Force time. Great boots, great fit, great durability. The only time I didn't wear them was when steel toes were dictated, and I was issued Belleville boots... another great boot, but not as super comfy as my Danner boots.

Also, I'm currently coveting the Danner Combat Hiker.

As far as Bates goes... I have some of their shiny dress shoes that I kept in the box to wear with my mess dress uniform. That's it. I don't care for them.

19. rockett88s

rockett88s Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pay the extra bucks, make sure the boots you get are made in the USA... both Danner and Chippewa sell boots made in USA and the MIC ones... The Chipewas fit me better personally. Mine are over ten years old, second sole, and in great shape. I take care of my boots and they take care of me!

20. Colorado Plainsman

Colorado Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love my Danner boots I have had the Strker boot which is light weigth and holds up well. They have been worn through mud, water, snow, dirt and worn hard on a daily basis for work. The boot held up great but the sole was shot after a year and they can't be resoled. I currently wear the Danner Mtn Lite 2. They are a bit heaver but are all leather construction. They can be resoled. The only downfall is the insole is crappy and can be easily fix with a replacement. I have worn bates, rockys and they break down quickly and the comfort goes away. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you. Nike has had a few boots in the past that have been surprisingly good. They Kyber and I owned another pair that I can't recall the name they were leather and gortex and got a good amount of miles out of them.

21. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had the same experience with the imported Danners. The American made Danners are first quality.

They still carry a warranty and the repairs are made in the US.

22. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an old pair of Danners that have been great boots, but started to break down after a waist high creek crossing. I went with some Asolo boots this time.

23. celticfisherman

celticfisherman Scout

Blog Posts:
    For what use?

Both make great boots.

Chip's snake boots are really comfortable. BUt I wear Danner pronghorns for hunting.

24. DavyJR

DavyJR Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the input.I ordered a pail of Danners today

25. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget the socks!

Socks are just as important as the boots. My experience is that roughly 50% of the people who say they are having shoe problems are actually having sock problems.

While good socks can't make lousy fitting boots any better, bad socks can make great boots feel terrible.

My favorites right now are the Smartwool medium weights.

26. DavyJR

DavyJR Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    If there is any questions about boots go with Danner

27. Siskiyou Blues

Siskiyou Blues Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is hard to compare,I've had a pair of both.
    They both make a good boot. Danner seems to make a better light weight hiking boot and all the chippewas seem to be more heavy duty work boot. My chip's took forever to break in and the danners came soft and comfortable. The danners were a more comfortable lighter boot but it didn't hold up for as many miles.
    If you're comparing danner work boots to chip work boots it's pretty much the six of one half a dozen of the other and should come down to what fits better,
    (my advice is to wait a couple more paychecks and get a pair of custom made whites. They'll bury you in them. :) http://www.whitesboots.com/ )

Edit: Just skimmed the Chippewa website and it seems like they do have a line of hiking boots, not just work boots. My experience is only with their work boots.

On a different note, there's not a pair of boots I'd rather be hiking in then my work boots. Footwear is a very personal thing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  28. Siskiyou Blues

Siskiyou Blues Scout

Blog Posts:
    From what I have seen from the Made in china Danners is that they are about equal to the Cabelas branded boots and you just pay more for the name. Also, and I apologize if this is heresy, but Danner will not resole/rebuild the MIC boots. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

29. longgunner97

longgunner97 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have got a pair of Chippawa logger boots that have been excelent boots.I have had them for 4 years and wear em to work almost every day. I have never owned any danners so cant speak for those.

Sent from my WX445 using Tapatalk

30. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up some Red Wings recently. VERY comfy! Look pretty well built. Not as light as some of the newer fancy shmancy hiking boots, but I wouldn't expect those to hold up to the abuse the Red Wings will.

31. Siskiyou Blues

Siskiyou Blues Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wear them every day for a year then I'll believe you. ;)

Which Danner's did you end up getting?

32. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Same here. I've got both insulated and uninsulated. Tough ass boots. My insulated are 6 years old and still going strong. For everyday wear, I wear Justin original workboots. Tough as nails. Chippewa's are a part of the Justin boot company. The USA made ones are very well made.
    Scott

33. Maple_City_Woodsman

Maple_City_Woodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been wearing a pair of Wolverine Multi-Shocks for 2 years now, and they are still going strong. Only maintenance is an occasional polish.

Of the two you mentioned, my preference would be for the Chippewa.

34. Cddogfan1

Cddogfan1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Buy a pair of US made Danners and you can not go wrong. It is all I have worn for the past 15 years. I am in the construction business and in the woods alot and they hold up and are comfortable.

35. 63C30

63C30 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Once in a great while, you can find Ft. Lewis' at Uncle Sam's surplus site. Last time I looked, it was women's sizes, but ya never know what'll come up!