BOOTS OR SHOES

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by northernbushman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. northernbushman

northernbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any suggestions on a very comfortable , soft hiking boot or shoe? For Spring, summer and Fall . Moderate terrain. No real rocks. Trail ,grass and some mild rock.

Thanks,

God Bless

2. Chert

Chert Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use New Balance 475 all-terrain shoes pretty much all the time, backpacking, trail walking, day hikes, work..etc. If it is super muddy or lots of big rocks I'll switch to my Merrell Phaser Peak boots, but that doesn't happen all too often.

3. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I always recommend a mid height light boot to folks just starting or getting back to hiking and bushy stuff. It's a good compromise in weight, comfort, and protection. Everybody has different feet, gait, weight, and needs. So popping for a big buck boot is a gamble at first. Likewise a minimalist low cut trail/running shoe may get you a bad sprain or stress fracture. I'ld go with something like this after you tried on a few different makes and models.

http://www.amazon.com/Vasque-Mens-B...LMDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332803416&sr=8-3

4. northernbushman

northernbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    yes looks good. I've heard good things about Vasque. Thanks.

5. Ironwood

Ironwood Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have always liked the Chukka style or 3/4 cut type of boot shoe. They have lots of different styles, they;re not too bulky and provide over the ankle protection. There are those more like a shoe and those more like a boot. The one below looks like a pretty comfy and durable pair. There are others. Full gusset tongue is also something to look for.
    good luck

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Casual-Shoes/Mens-Chukkas|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104824080/i/104111280/Irish-Setter-Soft-Paw-Chukkas/722014.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-casual-shoes-mens-chukkas%2F_%2FN-1102512%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104111280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797980%253Bcat104824080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797980%3Bcat104824080%3Bcat104111280

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  6. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like Keen or The North Face hiking boots and shoes.

7. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for New Balance! I wear New Balance shoes & Red Wing Boots (I check the tongues when I buy to make sure they are the made in the USA versions).

8. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    In most environments, unless you are routinely carrying a heavy pack, over 35 lbs. or so, you don't need boots over the ankle. sturdy shoes or 3/4 boots are an excellent option.

I believe high boots are for healthy, strong, athletic ankles being subjected to heavy loads in uneven terrain. Otherwise, your boots are just crutches for weak, spindly, sunken-arched feet.

Better to get a good set of lightweight footwear and minimize your pack load (a skill that far exceeds the benefits of of any single piece of gear), and develop the ankles/feet you need. Then, when it comes time for your Himalayan trek under a 65 lb. pack, look into some hardcore, heavy duty, mid-calf height, $275 tacticool boots.

9. desertdog

desertdog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought some Keens at REI and liked them a lot. Very, very comfortable. However, the rubber kept separating from the shoe on the sides and the bottoms. After a few months, I took them back and got a full refund from REI. Gotta love that return policy.

That same day I replaced them with Merrell Moab Ventilators from REI. I have no regrets. Extremely comfortable from day one and have held up well.

There are various models....I opted for the regulars over the GORE-TEX since breathability in hot weather was more important to me that waterproofing.

10. Redbusa06

Redbusa06 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I wish I had an REI closer to me :-( Nearest one is 2hrs away

11. MedicineMan68

MedicineMan68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    bro, my wife bought me these god-awful looking hipster slip on things made by sketchers for my birthday last year... and aside from them bieng the ugliest shoes around, they're just about the most comfortable and quiet shoes i've ever worn in the woods. Let me see if I can find a link to 'em. Anyways, she got them on sale for about $35 and freaks out when I wear them hiking but I recommend 'em.

you may have to copy and paste... the computer I'm on at work is about 10 years old.

http://www.skechers.com/style/62866/orton-mondello/char

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  12. Redbusa06

Blog Posts:
    I need somethin cheap until after June because we have labor contract comin up & I didn't save enough $$ as it is for possible strike we may go on. I'll likely end up sellin gear and/or guns and it's been depressing me quite a bit.

13. Redbusa06

Blog Posts:
    I'll likely just get somethin cheap at Wally world, target or kmart

14. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know they're cheap but I love Brahma boots from Walmart. They really are durable (I used them when I did construction) and their so cheap they're almost disposable.

15. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    those are hideous, but look like they'd be comfortable...

16. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid they used to sell a shoe called a desert boot. They were ankle high rough out thin leather unconstructed shoe with a thin sole. Those were the bomb. I found a pair of LL Bean made boots recently that are basically high top boat shoes, they are very light weight.
    Normally I switch between the low cut New Balance and Morel trail runners. If I wear a boot at all it is likely to be a US Surplus jungle boot, or a upland bird hunter’s boot I don’t like heavy boots.

Wolf

17. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I will either wear an old pair of my skateboarding shoes (they have really flat bottoms and amazing grip on any terrain, even snow believe it or not)

or my 6" boots made my Sketchers. Cheapest boot I have ever bought but I would go buy more in a heartbeat. They are not as heavy as Timberlands or Redwings and damn sure not as expensive.

Normally my area calls for boots, hilly and rocky trails make it almost impossible to not roll an ankle so my flat shoes I use for fishing or walking the neighborhood will not cut it.

-Brandon

18. EagleRiverDee

EagleRiverDee Guide

Blog Posts:
    *Nods* When Merrell first came out with their Mocs, I thought it was the ugliest shoe on God's creation. Then I wore a pair. They are (IMO) the most comfortable shoe on God's creation. I've been wearing them over 10 years now, one pair wears out I go get another just like 'em. They're my EDS. ;-)

19. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on your terrain and pack weight. If it's super rocky, as in no even ground at all, you'll want a solid mid height boot with lots of ankle support. Pack weight will obviously be a factor in that decision. More weight needs more support.

I pack light (not quite ultra-light, but getting there) and still use a mid height boot. Could I get away with trail shoes? Yes, but the mid height offers more than just support. It also protects your ankles from fallen branches, shallow puddles, the awful stinging nettle, bugs, and even dirt/rocks getting into your shoe as you walk.

20. northernbushman

northernbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes Zig. So what mid boot would you recomend for unstable, rocky terrain ? I do about 3miles on that type of terrain and then 2 miles on trail dirt every other day .
    Need comfort . 50 year old feet need comfort !:2:

21. spikecamp

spikecamp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been wearing Danner Pronghorns for three years, solid. Whether hiking, hunting, or just everyday, they never leave my feet and they are still going strong.

22. Redbusa06

Blog Posts:
    Looks like I'll be waiting until June :-(. Nobody's buyin my chuck Norris total gym so I have no extra $$ to play with.

23. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like my Garmont Zenith GTXs. They are very comfy and provide great support. I do a lot of Catskills hiking, especially on Devil's Path, so support is very important to me.

Though since everyone has different feet, I highly suggest getting to an EMS or REI or something. Try on every mid height boot to see which one's are comfy for you.

--
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please forgive any typos.

24. islandwoods

islandwoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    timberland / gore tex shoe

25. star-tac

star-tac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If its a day hike and light weight pack vibram five fingers!

26. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a pair of Teva hiking shoes about 6 months ago (my first from this company) and I am extremely impressed with them. I wear them not only as a hiker, but as a day to day shoe at work and they are showing very minimal wear on the bottom for the mileage they get. So far nothing has come unglued or unstitched with the exception of the TEVA logo on the tongue of the shoe, it is a patch-like logo that seems to have been applied only with adhesive. Other than that they are completely rock solid and every bit as comfortable as the New Balance I normally swear by.

27. barefootcarver

barefootcarver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Trail runners or just barefoot I hiked 9 miles on the AT barefoot a few weeks ago . It does take a little training first.

28. tsacain

tsacain Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wear pre-vibram surplus jungle boots or old black leather mil issue boots from 1974. Paid about $10 for each at the thrift store, both pairs are a bit older than me, and I have put years of use into each pair with little signs of wear. I also have vibram jungle boots that I wear out when I do not wear cowboy boots.

I just personally favor boots.

29. bearhunter2

bearhunter2 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love my Addison military boots. They have vibram soles, gortex lining and are the most comfortable boot that I have ever worn.
    And... They are made in the USA!
    There kinda hard to come by though.

30. bradleybuckman

bradleybuckman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess a lot of what I would base my decision on is how much weight I plan to carry and the terrain. I've been wearing Merrell's for years and really like them, but lately I've only been wearing them in the winter and have switched to a lighter shoe for most of the year. I think the lighter shoes are more comfortable and don't tire me out as fast as heavier boots. I got a pair of Lafuma's like this back in the spring on clearance for a real steal of like $30 dollars. They've held up great and are very comfortable. I'll certainly buy another pair when these wear out.
    http://www.endless.com/dp/B002U0K7B...ASIN=B002U0K7B0&ref_=asc_df_B002U0K7B02152949

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  31. Many Branches

Many Branches Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been wearing Wolverine Wellingtons for all my outdoor wanderings for the past several years. They are good for most terrain, sturdy enough to survive my use for two years (most boots last me six months), and are comfortable enough I don't mind hiking in them all day. One real great thing about a wellington, is that you can just lift your leg to dump the water out.

32. BradGad

BradGad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi Northern,

I'm about your age, but play in slightly rougher terrain.

The two best things I've found are New Balance hiking shoes and mid-weight Timberland boots.

Several people have mentioned New Balance. I had the NB 747s. They're discontinued, but the 780s look comparable.

My Timberlands are discontinud also; the White Ledge is their current equivalent.

I wasn't expecting a lot out of the Timberlands: I never really thought of Timberland as a serious brand for hiking -- prefering things like Merrell and Danner -- but I picked them up on a whim at a remainder sale and they've been just terrific. They're comfortable enough to wear every day, for just knocking around, but give substantial support. At my age, the legs and knees aren't quite as springy as they once were, so they're my go-to on days when a younger man might want something like the New Balance instead.

It's not really an either/or decision: it would be good to have both... but I think in your situation I'd get the mid-weight boot first.

Regards

33. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use new balance trail runners unless it's cold and wet.

34. Long John Tinfoil

Long John Tinfoil Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've tripped in heavy Vasque mountaineering boots and Chucks. Horses for courses and it depends on terrain and load to be carried.

For "town and country" my favourite boots, all-time, are made by Alden. There's a model number, but I can't remember it. They have an orthopedic footbed, leather heel and sole, and are surprisingly heavy when you pick them up in your hand while feeling light on the feet. I've always loved Clarks desert boots but I wear the crepe soles pretty quickly.

Lately I've been wearing a lightweight boot by Rockport - the Farnum - on late-season canoe trips and I've been really impressed. Comfortable, lightweight, highly water-resistant, even when lining the canoe through shallow rapids.

LJT

35. EagleRiverDee

EagleRiverDee Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have switched to New Balance Trail Runners...even when it's cold and wet. I love the support of my boots, but I blister a lot less in the trail runners, and since I use trekking poles the ankle support plus of the boots is less important. And I find I get a lot less tired.

36. hike500

hike500 Survivalist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Listen to this guy, he makes a lot of sense. I am 49, keep my pack weight down and use trail runners. The extra weight on your feet translate to a heavier load which isn't worth IMHO.