British Army Crusader Cook Set

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Rubarb, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Rubarb

Rubarb Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Short video i made last July on the Crusader Cook set, apologies for the poor quality of the footage, some of you have seen this before in a previous life:D

YouTube - Brew Kit

2. msbushman

msbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brit Stove--JUNK
    Made in the USA Zippo---Saves day...lol

Love the truth in advertising of the green goo and the stove...JUNK LOL

Scott

3. rik_uk3

rik_uk3 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I went to the UK 2006 bushmoot camp and a guy by the name of Stewart intoduced himself and asked me if I was the "Stovie guy off the forum" I said yes and he asked if I used the Crusader stove. I told that I'd tried it but did not rate it, due to very poor performance and told me "I was one of the designers" :eek: I said sorry but it was just my opinion and the surprising news was that he agreed, it was crap.

He told me how, IIRC, the design brief was to make a cooker that would burn alcohol gel, as cheap as possible using existing machinery at the factory that punches out the Crusader mug its purpose being to heat water for a brew or ration pack meal.

I guess with those limitations the stove is as good as you'll get and are far better than the MRE heater pouches.

Winter 2007 at one camp a mate gave up trying to boil water on one (even with a lid on the mug) after about twenty minutes and I boiled a kettle for him on a stove; the temp was only around 28f -4c.

That said, nice video as usual Mark :)

4. practicalsurvivor

practicalsurvivor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing this, I wanted to order this set up. I did order the Ti-tri Caldera Titanium Goat. Only because they said it was a tri fuel stove. I have not had a chance to test it. Its extremely warm here at this time, so I will probably wait until Fall. Honestly, my 3 dollar hobo stove will cook just fine, I need to build one our of stainless.

5. reverendCPA

reverendCPA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use what I assume to be the US equivalent to this. It works ok but does not have a tray for the alchohol which Im not saddened by. Its good for little hikes and I burn wood in it to warm up my brew.

6. Markheolddu

Markheolddu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these the cup is brill:D my favorite mug in fact but the burner is pure pants.

Mark