Building a flintlock

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by postman, Jan 21, 2013.

1. postman

postman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Has any one here built their own flintlock rifle? Was it from a kit? I am trying to find books or plans to build a kentucky long rifle from scratch, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. kaywoodie

kaywoodie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done both. What might be the easiest for you would be to get one of semi-Inletted parts kits from someone like "Track of the Wolf". When you finish it out you basically with have a customs an authentic rifle/fusil. Totally different that a mass produced kit.

You would also have a choice on the school of rifle you would like to recreate. It's not that hard and you do not need just a whole bunch of expensive woodworking or power tools. There used to be a book by a Mr. Dixon, I believe it was called "Recreating the Pennsylvania Longeifle" that is extremely helpful!

Good luck!
    Kaywoodie

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. mario

mario Scout

Blog Posts:
    Track of the Wolf also has a ton of books/DVDs on building.

I've done some kit work, mostly the wood shaping and finishing the wood and metal. With the arthritis and Carpal Tunnel in my hands, I can't do a full build.

Also, Jim Chambers (flintlock.com) offers REALLY good kits.

Mario

4. rusty

rusty Tracker

Blog Posts:
    TVM has kit guns as well..

5. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Most builds these days are a lock stock and barrel assembly project.

Stocks can be anything from a blank, you do all the work....... or partial inlet-ed for barrel lock trigger and finishing work.
    Purchased lock, purchased barrel, purchased furniture, (trigger guard, thimbles, patch box), and various parts fitting, assembly, and finishing.

Built several many years ago, all percussion rifles and pistols and one revolver....all from kits.

6. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Although it is not a guide on building a flintlock rifle you should find a copy of Foxfire book number 5. It goes into great detail how the old masters built flintlocks. They interviewed the late Hacker Martin who built the finest flintlocks up until the latter 1970s. They also interviewed Hershel House who arguably makes the finest flintlocks at this time. Methods of browning barrels and finishing stocks are covered as well as a multitude of other things pertaining to flintlock rifles.

7. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  8. longrifle54

longrifle54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seans fortified compound via carrier pigeon
    First, we need to clarify "KIT". there are kits from the big manufacturers which are basically ready to assemble with minor fitting, and finish the wood and metal to your tastes.

Then there are the "kits" from small traditional blackpowder companies that offer resonable copy of actual historically correct guns, in the model of your liking. These are not so much "kits" as they are parts sets. and as such will need far more than Minor fitting and finishing.

buy a book, or 2. the Gunsmith of Genville county is one. and it has just been reprinted.

and 2. recreating the pennsylvania longrifle, By Dixon. I bought 1 then the other. Both are excellent, and will give you the step by step, and also the "why" you do this step before that step.

Track of the wolf

Pecatonica river longrifle supply (i buy my stocks from Dick)

Muzzleloader builders supply

TVM

Jim chambers(pretty much the cream of the crop)

Good luck and it is addicting, im on #8(actually accumulating parts for #8)

a few words of advise, actually 1. SLOW!!!! take your time inletting, a sliver at a time if you have to, it will make a definite diference in the finished product.

9. Sweet

Sweet Tracker

Blog Posts:
  10. tickflicker

tickflicker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Check out Caywood in Berryville Ark.

11. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry not hijacking this thread just excited.
    I recently won a custom built flinter from Mr Dixons shop in PA! The lock was built by Mr. Chambers and the barrel was forged and rifled at last yrs Makers Fair held at Dixons shop in PA. It's a beautiful full stock .45 cal flinter I have yet to sight it in and cannot remember the builders name. But I would recommend reaching out to Mr Dixon as he's a wonderful man to talk muzzle loaders with and could be a great help!

12. JeeperSean

JeeperSean Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ATF sees any firearm or replica there of from 1898 design or older to be an antique classification and therefore unregulated. All good on a muzzleloader.

13. woodsmith

woodsmith Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just a thought - if you can swing it the Ozark Folk School in Mountain View, AR does week-long workshops on various traditional crafts and skills each year. This year gunsmithing is included - there's an intensive, week-long course where you build your own rifle from a kit under the tutelage of their gunsmith. It looks like a good program. The class is $375, plus the gun kit ($300-500 or so), plus lodging and meals.

http://www.ozarkfolkcenter.com/folk_schools/workshop-details.aspx?id=267

As other folks have pointed out, no legal problems doing this under US Federal law, not sure about taking it back into Canada. There may be similar programs close at hand though.

14. winter1857

winter1857 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  15. kaywoodie

kaywoodie Scout

Blog Posts:
    They always had excellent stockwood!!!!First flinter i ever built back in 78 was with one of their stocks!

K

16. Wynfrith

Wynfrith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to everybody in this thread because recently I was thinking of acquiring a kit, but knew nothing on the subject. A big thank you!

17. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  18. WesinND

WesinND Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I built an Early Virginia Rifle from TVM about 15 years ago. They were very helpful. The School in Mt View that Woodsmith mentioned would be worth the money in my opinion. Do a lot of research, that's fun and you'll be more prepared and make less mistakes.

Wes

19. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    What a wonderful thread. I got hooked on muzzlelaoders this summer and have been wanting a .30ish caliber flinter for squirrels. I can't afford a custom so I've been perusing Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works and looking at reviews on kits. I haven't hears of several of these makers so now I've got more reading to do. And I'm rather excited about it.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

20. mario

mario Scout

Blog Posts:
    The state/locality may have different laws, though.

In NY, even a muzzleloading pistol must be registered under a NYS Handgun Permit if you have the means to fire it.

Mario

21. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also, checkout the Foxfire books on building flintlock rifles.

22. NCOutdoorsman

NCOutdoorsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In 8th grade, I wrote a theme paper about building muskets. There was a man in the southern part of the county who lived about a mile from the site of the Battle of Alamance who built flintlocks in his spare time. I visited his shop and watched as he worked on a couple of them. During that prep for the theme, I also found the Foxfire book about building these guns and still have it. A year later, my dad and I went in halves on a TC Hawken caplock kit in 50 cal. at a local gun show. We put it together and I used that thing for years in the woods behind the house. I still have it and it's a beautiful gun. I would love to attend that class in Ar. but there is just no way I can afford it right now. Not to mention, I have a few other projects staring me in the face, waiting to get finished before I even think to take on another one.

23. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Finished a T/C Hawkins kit that someone else gave up on many moons ago (it was a caplock, but I wish I still had it)! I would like to build a lightweight .36 or .45 cal firelock one of these days. Would like to do it up in iron, poor-boy style...also desperately want to build a blunderbuss, the only thing stopping me is time & money! :54:

24. JeeperSean

JeeperSean Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well there's the problem... NY. I feel for you i defected from NJ. To PA for a range of reasons including that one.

25. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't be afraid to post a "wanted" ad over on the muzzleloadingforums classifieds page, I scored my .32 caplock squirrel rifle over there. Lots of folks have stuff in the closet they don't use much anymore... :57:

26. beachbunny

beachbunny Scout

Blog Posts:
    boy,now the guv'ment got us feared a usin' a flintlock.pitiful....

27. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
  28. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    best one

flinter1.jpg

29. Beal

Beal Scout

Blog Posts:
    So, might be an obvious answer to this... BUT, when you say built from scratch, is it still froma kit? Or can a person build one without a kit?
    What would one do about the barrel?

Seen a homemade one down at the local antique/fleamarket type store. Looks like a child made it, not sure if it was actualy functional or not but I certainly would want to fire it. lol

30. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can order barrels and other hardware as well as stock blanks.

31. stormpriest

stormpriest Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about any resources here, but go to www.trackofthewolf.com They are the premier site for building you own.

32. chiefs50

chiefs50 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I built this one several years ago from a Pecatonica parts set - my first attempt at this. It is a .62 caliber Fusil du Chasse with walnut stock. Slow going with quite a learning curve. Thank heaven for the Internet.

100_1824.jpg 100_1825.jpg 100_1827.jpg 100_1829.jpg

33. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I built 4 of them several years ago and the book I used as a reference was the Foxfire book - I forget the actual book number but I know it had a gray cover. One thing I would recommend is if you go the seperate parts route, go with a Syler Lock as they are top notch and use a stainless steel screw in touch hole liner. That way you can also buy a percussion lock and a drum and nipple assembly and convert it back and forth between flintlock and percussion at will.

34. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
  35. chiefs50

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if I would consider TOTW to be the "premier" source for building your own. They are probably the most well known. The Rifle Shoppe may well be the premier source of high quality, historically correct parts. If I were to do another build that would be my first choice. For first-time builders a cheaper TOTW parts set is probably the way to go. There are many other suppliers as well. Pecatonica River probably offers some of the nicest wood for the dollar. It pays to look around and ask questions before making an investment in a "kit" (parts set) or individual parts. That's my tcw anyway.

36. stormpriest

stormpriest Scout

Blog Posts:
    No worries, I am always up for new or better info than I already have.
    You have urls for those sites?

37. Djl66

Djl66 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Building a flintlock.

You should research an old educational film "The gunsmith of Williamsburg". It features Wallace gussler starting with a maple plank, a flat iron bar and a double handful of spring steel and brass scraps, and ending with a beautiful flint lock. Actually part of a series of films showcasing the craftsmen of colonial Williamsburg. I have read the foxfire 5 stuff, and it contains much the same Info. but i enjoyed actually watching it done. It is where i got my early education in metallurgy and heat treatment.

38. chiefs50

Blog Posts:
  39. Double D

Double D Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    As far as books are concerned you should consider: The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter A. Alexander. With that it should give you a pretty good idea of the history and what's involved and how over the top one can get with building.