Building A Homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by IamLegend, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IamLegend

IamLegend Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

We purchased our homestead property 1 year ago in January. I have spent the entire year cleaning up the property and the last few months trying to start a YouTube channel.
    We are basically filming and posting on our fb page all the boring, mundane tasks leading up to building a home and starting our homestead. I tore down two houses on the property last winter and the cleanup is astronomical because the previous owners used it for a sort of catchall for years worth of junk.
    Got a lot of boring type work going on now but the plan is to get back to the lifestyle we were living 8 years ago with a working homestead. And the sooner the better!!!
    I'm absolutely thrilled that there is a forum dedicated to the subject matter!
    Thanks for watching!

Guy, hunter63, gila_dog and 20 others like this.
  2. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    my back hurts just watching. Hope ya scrapped all the electrical wires, copper pipes and all metal from the houses to help alleviate some cost. Looks like a long haul process. What ya carrying on the right hip?

IamLegend likes this.
  3. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep a lot of work goes into building a homestead. Especially if you buy one with a bunch of stuff already on it that need removal. I bought raw land, so don't have someone else's mistakes to fix, but have a lot of work to get things cleared, build paths and roads, flatten out some spots, fence in the property, etc...

IamLegend likes this.
  4. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yeah my back always hurts. Glock 19 all day, everyday, 365!!! You carry?
    Thanks for the comment!

5. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    just subscribed to your channel, great video, my carry is an xds 4 inch in 9

IamLegend likes this.
  6. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Good point! Yeah I looked for several years at raw land as well. Ended up settling on this property cause it had elect. and water and a drive already. So I was money ahead as far as that goes but a HUGE amount of cleanup just to get started and ready to build.
    Thanks for the comment!

hunter63, ineffableone and TX-1948 like this.
  7. mwd

mwd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Subscribed also. I'm in the process of purchasing a homestead/land back west so I'll be watching your progress and looking for pointers.

IamLegend likes this.
  8. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing....cleaning out old fence rows is indeed a challenge....and sometimes the old wire just jumps out and bites you no matter how careful you try to be. I am looking forward to watching your progress.

hunter63 and IamLegend like this.
  9. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Never owned one but I hear those are good guns. My buddy has several.
    Thanks so much for the sub!!! Seems kinda hard building a channel. Hopefully my vids will get better over time.

10. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the sub!
    I don't know how much help I can be as far as pointers but I plan to put up as much progress as I can on my channel.
    It just happens that the constant cleanup process that seems to never end on my property can get pretty boring as far as making mini movies. Thing is that I wish there were more of the daily mundane stuff out there on YouTube as far as homesteading. That's why I'm doing those kinda vids. I wanna see the work being actually done on the homestead channels. Not just talked about.
    Thanks again for the sub and the comment!

mwd likes this.
  11. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yeah there's always a challenge to stay safe on the farm. Thanks for the comment!

TX-1948 and mwd like this.
  12. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to go off grid, so I was actually looking specifically for places without utilities already connected. Also I was opting for a cash out sale, and as soon as anything is added to a property the price rises drastically. A simple concrete pad to park a trailer and a no wall covering can jack the price of a property by thousands of $.

There were some properties with existing cabins on them I considered, but whenever I looked at anything with a structure already on it I went from looking at 40 acres to 10 to 5 acres in my price range. So figured I would rather put in the time, effort, and money into building my own stuff where and how I wanted rather than take the hit on less land and likely not optimal placement and construction of structures.

BTW if you want to check out the thread on my homesteading journey it is on going over here.

TX-1948, Lichen and IamLegend like this.
  13. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yes that make perfect sense that you would actually be money ahead if you are wanting off grid. I went to your thread and started reading but will have to go back when I have more time. I can tell that it is an excellent thread tho! I like the "story" and the conversation in those type threads. That's what I'm looking for as a matter of fact. Somebody doing it, telling about their journey, and having a conversation about it. I will definitely be following your progress. And I saw some vids also so I'll be subscribing to another channel it looks like as well.

ineffableone likes this.
  14. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    yep springfield champion .45 1911 4.25" daily

Also subscribed

Guy and IamLegend like this.
  15. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    I like the idea of being subbed by fully armed homesteaders!
    Thanks buddy!

16. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A couple of years before finding this forum, I sold my 40 acres in northern Arizona. I've been kicking myself ever since.

IamLegend likes this.
  17. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Good move....You can always go "Off the Grid" later....but helps building stuff with a electric hook up.

Those are expensive on any place....I had to add on our Place.
    Add to it the idea of to possibility being "Grandfathered In" as far as permits go.

Have seen many people buy a place just to use those existing amenities.
    Tear down what you don't want... but leave the well, septic, and of course driveway.
    Have been working on cleaning out a ravine...that had been used as a dump for many years.
    Local young guy was collecting metal for money...and removed 6 pick-ups full of junk.

BYW fence wire does a number of the brush hog blade.......

18. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    I did the same thing 8 years ago. 27 acre small farm and downsized a huge amount of preparedness supplies all because I thought I was dieing (long story). As it turned out there was nothing wrong with me and like you I've been kicking myself ever since. Lot of hard work and money getting my farm set up the way that I wanted only to sell it and move to a gated community!
    Oh well, lessons learned...

Guy likes this.
  19. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I've got to put in a new septic cause the existing one wouldn't pass inspection but beyond that I'm getting things lined up pretty well in order to start building. The tractor I bought shortly after the property and it has saved my back big time!
    Sounds like you've got the same cleanup issues as me. Pickup loads dumped all over the property.

20. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Actually not too bad...except the ravine.
    But nailed down some details before even buying the property.
    Some main ones were
    1) A perk for septic that was done already.

2) Electric was at the road...paid for my pole and meter and allowed 100 ft off the road.
    This was kinda of a hassle until I score a "seasonal" site hook up....they don't tell you that up front...rules were you need a house (dwelling) to qualify for power pole...(how to build with out electrical?...LOL)

3) The "Drive way" is a farm access road to start as part of the land was being "cropped" by a neighbor.
    This also qualified me for a USDA Farm number....Ag. tax rate is MUCH lower than residential, or recreational.
    When cabin was built....my "stub road" was grandfathered in.....helped the contractor was the township road guy.

4) Cabin/House was under a covenant ......(check this when buying your "place")
    House had to be Min. of 800sq ft....and closed in with-in one year, inspected.
    No mobile homes ....BUT didn't say any thing about a camper....
    Used two campers and a shed for many years.....with a Humanure sawdust toilet.

5) Later, when property was paid off....bought an Amish built log cabin....almost 800sq ft....

BUT as it came by semi truck....is considered portable building (16 X40 ft. shed)....no permit required, and meant I could do my own electrical and plumbing.
    (Avatar is of the cabin in winter)

Really tried to plug into the local network to find out :...
    How things were done by the locals the (Farmer way vs the city way)
    Who to trust for work needed.

Tractor and chain saw helped with 100 or so elm trees that got blight.........Firewood.

Guy, IamLegend and TX-1948 like this.
  21. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good info you posted!
    So far my truck and 16 ft tandem trailer, chainsaw and tractor have been the most valuable items I own since buying the land. We will be building a pretty large home at just under 4900 sf but I'm contracting the septic and just to get the house in "the dry" and finishing everything else myself. As always tho I'm having trouble just getting estimates from contractors to take to the bank. I've been in construction all my life and know some people but it's still like pulling teeth getting anyone to follow through unless they're hurting for a buck!!!

Guy, TX-1948 and hunter63 like this.
  22. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I hear ya....You need to find "The Guy" that if he can't do it, has relatives that can.
    As in "Hey Rich, I know you are busy, can you fit me in or recommend somebody for "Thus and such"?

I always tip well....couple of hundred bucks....and pay cash...
    Up to them is they put it on the books or not.
    Our area,... everyone is related....LOL.

IamLegend likes this.
  23. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yep! "The guy" is one heck of a friend to have!

24. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Just as a side story....neighbor is "from the city"...bought his place in the country......and put up a street light.
    Worked for the country. in a bigger city.
    If he could afford it, he would have a stockade fence around he 28 acres.

He was expressing his frustration with local craftsmen ....many are "Boomers" union construction that boom around to different jobs.

Talking with him he was always byiching about cost, showing up and the local yokels that didn't deserve the money.
    Guy had started his wiring and after a couple day of the complaining, finished most of the job and left....said I'll be back...was over a year.

I told him I tip my guys...and not in a big hurry.... he was giving me a bad time......
    The guy I tipped said "I'll be there Saturday......and was....finished the job.

For many of these guys ......Small jobs are in-between, jobs and if not in rush....can be fitted in.

25. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    The only guy that had an estimate back when he said he would is an Amish fella. He is also the ONLY one that when I met with him, he was on a job working. He also agreed that I would be working right along beside him and his crew.

hunter63 likes this.
  26. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    They always charge me more to "help"....LOL
    Besides those Amish guy work waaaay to hard for me......I just stay out of the way.
    The built the 8 X 40 ft porch on the cabin between 7:00 AM and 2:00 PM..... nothing precut.... just a pile of lumber.....including rails and roofing....and another guy installed the chimney .
    Guy cut all the compound cuts, for the roof and posts with a 14" Echo chainsaw.

[​IMG]

27. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    I envy you access to the Amish, where I am we don't really have an Amish presence. But My family is from Iowa and I have had a lot of great experience with Amish. Make sure you do your best to stay on good terms with the Amish though, once you rub one the wrong way you can get blacklisted from them all. Doug from Doug and Stacy off grid youtube channel has some funny Amish stories. Like a rumor went around that they were fugitives from the law, because what "English" person would come live like the Amish who wasn't fleeing justice. And since Doug looks and dresses like an Amish man (he gets his clothes made by the local Amish), in the next town over his wife Stacy was confused to be his "English" driver at a shop and the Amish there thought they were behaving very inappropriately being affectionate with eachother.

hunter63, CowboyJesus and IamLegend like this.
  28. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    That's funny! I follow that channel but have not heard those stories.

ineffableone likes this.
  29. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    K
    That's nice!

hunter63 likes this.
  30. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Took a few years...Lots of work......land 1989...trailers in 1991 (elect and driveway)...shed is 1992.....Cabin/elect. in 2005......Plumbing in 2006.....
    That journey is half the fun....when you get far enough along to enjoy it.....LOL

IamLegend likes this.
  31. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I'm just wanting to get farming and back into some livestock and decent size garden asap.
    I May have been better off buying a small farm and house and not go through the process of building and almost starting from scratch.

hunter63 likes this.
  32. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That's a good way....but it is some times better to follow you gut ...and not have to deal with someone else's ways...good, bad or not.
    May take longer....but it yours.
    I could have bought the lot next to the one I bought...as it had a field that was even with the road....no driveway...but didn't have to haul in 29 loads of fill.....

Funny thing about that....was in a city park with a pop-up camper as I couldn't drive onto the property.
    Talked to a guy....he quotes me $4500 bucks (1989)...told him I would just have to wait till next year.....that was over my budget .

Next morning...he shows up at the park at 7:00 AM...and ask what my budget was.....Told him $2000 bucks...\Then he ask what I was planning on getting done for that....Told him driveway.....and electric.
    He comes back with OK I'll get you onto the property for $2000...
    I came back with, " $2000 even, no tax, no oops... will be more money.... 2K OK?"
    You want to do it for those terms.....I have cash...

He had his boys on the job is 1/2 hour....I drove out there, the first big dump truck dumped into the ditch....looked like a shovel of dirt in a wheelbarrow....28 more loads, then 2 loads of road bond (soft ball size rock..) and 2 loads of limestone gravel. (packs well).

Was talking to a bar owner ,,,who had worked for the digger guy....was telling him about the 1/2 price job.
    He says, "Yeah, some times he does that, to pay his guys, fuel and trucks on the road"....
    The dirt and gravel .....he already owns the pit.

Had to do the electric later....(another story)
    Actually the whole project was one story after another, some good, some bad...
    Just use your head and will be mostly good. ....as you will experience.

Makarov and IamLegend like this.
  33. Toolbag

Toolbag Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Subscribed

IamLegend likes this.
  34. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro! Like I said before, really means a lot!

hunter63 likes this.
  35. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Now.....I wish I would have been able to document our journey as well.......do have some photos...but nothing like the You Tubes and digital pic's of today.
    Thanks for taking us a long.....

36. IamLegend

Blog Posts:

Another short video from the summer months.

Question: Would it be better to post all my homesteading stuff in one thread or individual threads? I tend to like individual threads cause stuff seems to get buried and people don't like to search through one long thread to see where they left off.
    Thinking about calling all my homestead stuff by the same name in individual threads and just numbering the threads. What you guys think? How is everyone else keeping track of your progress?

Edit: I went ahead and put it all in the same thread. I will go back and delete the other one where I was asking this question. Seems maybe better to keep all together as far as my homestead stuff.
    Enjoy the video!!!

TX-1948 likes this.
  37. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would start a Blog, here or on another blog site, keep it all together

IamLegend likes this.
  38. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Is that different than just posting it all here?

39. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    at the top of the page, on the left there is a blog feature, A blog (weB LOG) is like a diary, you post by the date and post pictures etc. you can link to it and friends and family can read it. some keep it going for years. Threads here come and go, but a blog technically should last forever. I have one on blogger.com. that I dont use much.

IamLegend likes this.
  40. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy reading the post from first to current....don't know much about blogs, though I do read the ones here...but which ever you chose, I hope you will continue to share your progress....
    Getting to watch your progress is most interesting....watching you mowing with the brush on both sides brings back a memory from about 40 years ago. I was running a bushhog through an area that had small saplings in it. A sapling about an inch in diameter caught on the front of the tractor. I saw it just before it hit me just above my nose. I came to sort of hanging off the seat with the tractor stalled against a large oak tree. Had I fallen off the tractor before it hit the oak....well, I wouldn't be writing this... not a pleasant thought....at least for me...
    Keep up good work....

hunter63 and IamLegend like this.
  41. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Very, very dangerous stuff! I've been in many close calls myself. Glad your still around to tell your stories!!!

TX-1948 likes this.
  42. IamLegend

Blog Posts:

Forgot to post this kinda stuff in this thread instead of starting a new one each time.
    Building some simple cord trees...
    Thanks for watching!

TX-1948 likes this.
  43. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest keeping everything in one thread. Since people will click the watch button so they get notified of your new posts. When they go to the thread they will automatically go the post after the last one they read. If you keep creating new threads, the story of your homestead becomes a disjointed and disconnected thing and many are likely to miss new threads you start not realizing it is part of the same story and not being notified of these new threads.

hunter63, TX-1948 and IamLegend like this.
  44. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I posted my new video in a seperate thread and then remembered that I wanted to keep all that stuff here so I posted it here but now I don't know how to go delete the seperate thread.

TX-1948 likes this.
  45. TJC44

TJC44 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Sunscribed. Thanks for posting the story & the pics.