Bush pot

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by brains, Mar 24, 2013.

1. brains

brains Scout

Blog Posts:
    What size do you prefer? My birthday is coming up and I wanted to get the Mors pot but not sure what size, 5 or 8 cup. I am sure the 5 would work.
    Thanks
    Ed

2. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the larger one.

3. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'd say to get the 1.8 liter ( 8 cup ). The larger size allows you to heat more water, and it has the bail already attached. The space inside can always be used to carry other items, so it really doesn't waste space.

Here's Mors himself explaining why he likes the larger one:

[video=youtube;U3TBnrZxrwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3TBnrZxrwI[/video]

4. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have both and prefer the smaller one (with the bail attached). It still holds plenty of water and is more than functional plus it's more compact and lighter if you're actually backpacking. I use it for myself; if it I was using for two, I would opt for the bigger one...

ROCK6

5. Wilt

Wilt Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I tend to agree with TheProfessor and I have a great deal of respect for Mors. Honestly, who can argue with Mors? :)

I have the Zebra Billy 10CM, 12CM, and 14CM pots along with the 1.8 L Bushpot from Four Dogs and prefer the larger 14CM Zebra and 1.8 L Bushpot. They are a lot more useful especially for two folks rather than one. So you are set if someone wants to tag along or shows up as a guest unexpectedly.

I wish you the best on your decision.

Mark

6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A lot of it comes down to how you will use it... solo trip or with others? I have the 8 cup Mors Pot. My German Mess Kit has an approximately 7 cup capacity. The internet says 1.7 liters (there are 3 markings on the side, each of which represents 500 ml, or about 2 cups, with a little room left on top). I do mostly solo trips, with occasional company (my daughter). I like them both, though i'm coming to prefer the german mess kit due to its more streamlined kidney-shape. I have plenty of water for rehydrating a meal, making drinks, and washing up afterwards. If I went smaller, i'd have to refill it. I have a .7 liter (iirc) MSR Titan Kettle that is light and compact, but too small. it is barely adequate for 1 person, though sometimes that's what you want. I also have a couple 5-cup "boilers", those old aluminum pots with a bail, handles, spot, and lid (like a coffee maker but without the glass knob on top), which are also good for solo trips... again, I find myself returning to the german mess kit with it's larger capacity.

So, all that said, my recommendation is the 8 cup Mors Pot. but you have to decide for yourself what you need, based on how you camp/cook.

7. DirtNap

DirtNap Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the larger Mors pot, especially in cold weather or when accompanied. When backpacking, I mostly rehydrate my meals, so it allows for the meal and plenty of warm drinks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have the smaller one, and have found that it works fine for solo trips. I only boil water, so cooking in it isnt something I take into consideration. But, the small one, can boil enough water for dinner, and a cup of tea/coffee. I also installed the bail handle-silly not to :)

9. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It all really depends on what your water needs are. If you are boiling water for drinking water purposes, then go with the larger version. I also find a larger pot better for melting snow in the winter - although 2 L is still really too small and you will be constant refilling with snow - better to get a dedicated 4 L pot for snow melting.

Alternatively, if your pot is primarily for boiling water for hot beverages and cooking purposes - the smaller pot is far easier to pack and serves your needs well. It can double duty at processing water for drinking use, but I find that at just over 1 L that serves either a drinking water fill up or cooking needs but not both. In summer, I like to bring a water filter along for drinking water, so the pot is mostly used for cooking/food prep. Thus, I prefer the smaller one. I never bothered to install the bail on mine. I like it just as well without a bail.

10. rdec

rdec Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My larger cook set is a a set of English billys, 3 qt., 2 qt. and 1 qt. I replaced the 1 qt. with a small Mors pot with bail, percolator innards and lid. (The smaller pot is used as a small cook set for solo use.) I like that little pot and will probably get the larger one, too.

11. Guyon

Guyon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the large. I have another pot and a mug nested inside.

12. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like them both. Packing cook/fire kit etc inside of the larger pot justifies the increased size. For brewing a solo cuppa, the small size is fine and boils faster.

On the other hand, I've never scoffed at extra hot water, nor refused an extra cuppa.

I bought the bigger one first, and would pick it if I could only have one.

13. Guyon

Guyon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got mine, mind you. But inside the big Mors pot, I can nest a Primus AluTech kettle and a Snow Peak mug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]