Bushcraft vs Bushcraft Photography

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by BushTramp, Mar 23, 2013.

1. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    first off let me say that i enjoy a good picture as much as the next guy and can appreciate the effort that gets put into it. with that said and with the rise of more amateur/hobbyists and self proclaimed professionals i have heard and seen alot of guys posting (or not posting) and asking forgiveness for their "crappy pics" or "phone pics".So i just wanna say get out there and take pics -make something or do something and take a crappy pic and share.This is not photoUSA it's BushcraftUSA.If you make a spoon and it looks like a butterknife ,who cares take a pic and share and have a laugh.Never be ashamed of trying anything and sharing what you did wrong or what you have learned or how the light reflected in your pic.the emphasis is just about doing.I also totally understand how a vendor may need great photos to sell their product and i also understand the photographer using their skills but thats what they do -you do your own job the rest of the week -have fun here -go take a phone pic :)

2. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Best advice I've heard in a while!

3. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am with You Brother Doug. We have some Great Member's that take outstanding Pictures, Myself well o LOL and now with smart phones you are take Pic's any time. It's Nice to see Hobby Pic's and to see what other Member's see! Thanks for this Post Brother!!!

4. rusty stove

rusty stove Guide

Blog Posts:
    spot on Doug...spot on. I am proud of nearly every crap picture I take....and I don't mind laughin at em either. We could always start a Crappy picture thread....

[​IMG]

5. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    HERE, HERE!!! I agree Doug..100% Even a crappy outof focus picture can help the most boring thread come to life......

6. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    One crappy picture comin up :4:

[​IMG]

7. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Hobbyist Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Right on!! Very few of my pictures and even videos were takin with an actual camera, almost everything i have posted has been with an Iphone or Droid phone.

8. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great thread! I totally agree.

9. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What is Bushcraft Photography? Ehh?? Ya Canoodian.

That and you dont need a top of the line dslr blah blah blah if you do want to take some better pictures. My last camera I got used for $45, and the one that I use now I got used for $175 if I remember correctly... And when I did not have internet, I used my cell phone.

So, what I'm saying is I agree. If you want to take some great photos and post them, awesome. If you take crappy photos, thats great too. There are some photo snobs here but they enjoy crap photos of you outside doing stuff just as much as others. and how crappy could it be if its outside? :D

10. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm guilty of the crappy picture apology several times over. But this ^ is truly a life lesson for some and one worth learning for sure.

Well said.

11. WindWalker

WindWalker SourDough Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mr. KS49,
    Not to hi-jack the thread but will you please provide more info on what appears to be your walking staff?
    New thread perhaps.
    Best Wishes

12. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad I am not being judged on my photography skills for sure! Thanks for reminding us all it is more important to go out and do and not worry aboot the presentation.

13. scurvy

scurvy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    couldn't of said it better....

14. OmegaTribe777

OmegaTribe777 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like this thread! No matter how it looks in the end, what matters is you took the time and effort. Keep those pics coming!

..... KS49, would you please take a close to of your leather bag? This looks really awesome!

15. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    I try not to get involved in these types of threads, but this one has been bothering me. I'm not the best at communicating without sounding like a jerk. So, I'm going to preface this by stating: I am not being an arrogant elitist. Doug, I like ya a lot and consider you a friend, DCM, you too bro. But after some thought, I would like to respectfully disagree/question a little.

Some effort in the presentation would be nice ;) but anything is good. But in all seriousness, why would anyone think that they were being judged by their quality of photographs is beyond me. This whole thing kinda strikes me as odd to be honest. You assume that because some of us may take a "higher quality" of photo that we would judge the rest of the forum because they are not hobby or professional photographers? Or, is there a specific example that I am missing?

That would be like assuming that I hate on people that use moras because I'm a knife maker - or - that I would hate on scandi or hollow grinds because I prefer convex or flat. Use a mora, use that spoon that looks like a butter knife, whatever I dont care just have fun! If anyone is into photography that does not make them an elitist and hate all photos taken with common cameras. I'm not sure what is going on here..

Doug, I think that you are delivering a positive message but lets not turn it into a burning at the stake. :D

And as I said earlier, if you do want to put a little time into your photos - its not about buying big fancy camera gear and you don't have to have a fat wallet. The following photo was taken with a camera that you can literally purchase used for $9.95 - A canon powershot a520

[​IMG]

So to summarize, as with anything else in life - Do your best. Or, the best that you care to :38: But don't be upset or feel bad because someone else may have the desire to put more effort and time into a specific aspect of their lives.

Matt P

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  16. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    How can anyone look at that and be upset?

17. DCM

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure that what I am saying is anything different than you on this. Unless my words were misused or misunderstood. Didn't intend my use of the word judge to offend. My context for all this; was that when I post, many of my pics are not high quality and it doesn't stop me. I agree with the OP, don't let taking photos be intimidating to anyone who is willing to do so. My intent is to encourage taking pics, have fun and post. All skill sets welcome.

18. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    You said that you were glad that nobody was judging you, and I was just asking why they would? I told ya I'm not good at this stuff... :(

Edit: And Im not offended in any way whatsoever.

19. DCM

Blog Posts:
    People would judge solely out of insecurity. Glad I didn't offend, was not my desire.

It's all good in my book :)

20. Ned

Ned Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, great post! My day job actually is taking those product photos for vendors and other businesses, but on here I just want to see bushcraft in action! Most of all, I want to see ideas and knowledge being implemented!

21. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Bushtramp. There is a flip side however. It takes some effort to film, upload then post photos and a great deal of effort to film, edit, upload then post a video. Yet many photos and videos be they good or bad simply get ignored. Often people can't even lift a finger to press that "thanks" button never mind commenting on it. :2: But if someone shows up and posts the 50th batoning thread the entire community will key in. What effort did another stinking batoning thread take? About 15 seconds and not using the search function! I am guilty so not casting stones in any direction. From now on I am going to make an effort to better show my appreciation! :1:

22. crookedknife

crookedknife Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wise words BushTramp. It makes me sad to see how many folks get tied up with gear and spend little time doing, when it is the doing that gives them by far the most satisfaction and leads them to being mentors to others. Skills, not stuff.

23. MykeS

MykeS Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the great post and for the encouragement Doug. I know we have all heard the saying many times "without pictures, it didn't happen."

Everytime I read that, I can't help but think of our bushcrafting forefathers, out on their wilderness adventures in the great frontier. Many would bring large format cameras with glass plates for negatives and flash powder for lighting and who knows how much other photography gear to record their adventures.

They knew it was important to telling the story. I doubt they worried too much about the small things and just wanted to share the adventure.

Here is an example: Horace Kephart and George Masa

[​IMG]

I think they took some pretty good pictures back than, and most were all "tint" type.

We have nothing to fear with what we have to offer today. Just share the joy fellas'

My 2¢ worth.

24. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't lug 3 lbs of magnesium alloy and glass around my neck for pictures, I do it for the cardio :16::16:

Actually, the critic I fear the most is myself. I rarely think my stuff is good enough for posting anymore when I take pics of my walks, mostly because I keep judging myself to those few times where I was lucky enough in the moment to capture something pretty cool and unique. But that doesn't stop me from trying :)

Everybody approaches their time in the woods differently and are motivated by different things. For some, the intent is really to capture stuff on film and in pictures. I find the prospect and potential for capturing a magic picture as fascinating as a slot machine is to a gambler. It keeps me coming back for more. If ones purpose is to improve themselves in their hobby, than comments are often are very helpful (even constructive criticism). Whenever I see a photo on a trip report or thread that I think has excellent composition and subject matter, I often communicate that I liked a given shot because of ... ... ... I don't see a problem with doing that, nor should somebody feel hurt if they don't get a pat on the head every time they post something in particular. I also don't go out of my way to criticize somebodies photos or presentation unless they ask folks for specific advice.

I look at it this way. If you go through the bother of producing a new thread, you are trying to add something (i.e. content) to the forum. That can be many things, it could be presenting information, it could be a how to on something, it could be to share a great experience you had, it could be to relate a story like how you overcame an obstacle, it could be to share media, it could be lots of things. However, it should never be a half-hearted attempt and waste of byte space or the time of everybody clicking on your post. So, regardless of what somebodies technical merit is, or the equipment they use, they should strive for improvements in how they communicate and to be clear on what they are trying to present or add. They should be their own worst critic and strive to grow over time. Otherwise, spaces like this become diluted. <--- bushcraft USA ain't twitter, and I hope it stays that way!

25. HoboTree

HoboTree Guide

Blog Posts:
    next crappy pic

homade knife.jpg my first homemade knife

26. BushTramp

Blog Posts:

Matt -i could not of said it any better than DCM here

and by all means i am not saying don't try to take a decent pic-just work with what you got

27. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    ;) I agree.

28. BushTramp

Blog Posts:
    well then that's that :)

29. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    I guess so... Lock her down. We're finished here.. :4::50: hahaha

30. Easterner

Easterner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    If there was a image hosting service that preserved my privacy I would be a lot more inclined to share pictures, even my crappy ones lol.

31. BushTramp

Blog Posts:
    download through BCUSA -you do not need a service .that's what the little picture icon is beside the movie strip one

32. SgtVirg

SgtVirg Guide

Blog Posts:
    You guys want crappy pics? Actually the pic ain't bad (taken by my daughter) the subject matter however is pretty crappy.

Attached Files:

33. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Truth. I notice often that people look in a thread just long enough to notice its a youtube video. Then they dont even bother to watch. I have really slowed down on filming/compiling/editing videos, and pictures because of it.

34. dardello

dardello Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Actually its a cool pic of a guy doing his thing and proud of it!

35. almac

almac Scout

Blog Posts:
    something i dont understand is the excuse "sorry for the crappy pic", when most cel phones today have 4MP+ cameras in them!
    hell, i own a pocket fuji xp100(i think) that i bought for under $100 on sale new and i think its' 14mp.

errr,... sorry for the crappy 4MP phone picture... /end sarcasm
    [​IMG]

36. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Were/are people here really that worried about their "crappy" pics?

I didn't think this was a rampant problem here. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough.

Hope no one thinks I am some sort of an elitist for buying a DSLR and posting tons of pics when I have an outing thread...

37. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I figure if I'm in focus, not upside down and y'all can tell what it is, good 'nuf

38. Easterner

Easterner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha, wow. Can't believe I missed that. Thanks BushTramp.

39. BushTramp

Blog Posts:
    Really? Is that your take on this thread? I really don't know how to word it any different
    Reread what you thanked this morning with the same attitude you had then
    -I'd say you are in the skilled photographer that I can appreciate pics from but I'm done arguing for the day so ..... I got nothing else

40. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Took this with my cell phone on a walk with the dog today.
    [​IMG]

41. Bill Cox

Bill Cox Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Joe, in that picture you look like FPSRussia lol.

42. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what to take from this thread. I guess I didn't see a problem in the first place.

No worries though, nothing for anyone to get worked up over. I have been making this "get a cheap camera and shoot" rant for a couple years now on here. I just didn't think people were actually intimidated by others pictures.

Use them as aspirations, I did. If it wasn't for Croatoan and Adahy, I would probably have never tried to step up my game with a DSLR. Sometimes I think I over complicated myself by doing it.

43. Ned

Ned Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use my own rented servers for that.

44. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always wanted to post this pic of my thunderbox up at the little Michigan campsight . Had to exclude it in my original post even tho this was the best composition .
    So thanks for the freedom guys .

[​IMG]

45. Vantramp

Vantramp Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just wanted to say that is a good looking dog RangerJoe! Thanks for sharing the pic :)

-Mike

46. WKS1977

WKS1977 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What's the best way to get around the 5 pics a post thing? Do you just reply to your own thread to reserve a spot to keep everything in order and edit it? Hope this makes sense.

47. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yes

48. WKS1977

WKS1977 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Joe...:D

49. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

You've captured the pastels of the forest beautifully. Love how you used the soft filter to such great effect. Was that digitally applied or optical? A good composition like this one has a way of grabbing your eye and making it travel over the shot rather than on a single focal point. Notice the curved branch to the right, it takes your attention and then you follow it around the shot, ending at the black abyss of the center. A black hole leading to where? Only a a poet could say with clear distinction. Also, nice used of the rules of three. :) :) :)

50. Shamrock73

Shamrock73 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What is that side bag you have there? Who is it made by?