Bushcrafters Meet in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Events' started by crawford1775, Jul 19, 2011.

1. crawford1775

crawford1775 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gents,

I'm getting a bit jealous of all the other states having all the fun. Do we have any plans of getting a meeting together or is that something that needs to be organized?

Semper Fi,

Clyde

2. Scooter

Scooter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm from NW Arkansas if the timing and finances work out I would come if you get something going.

3. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    We tried last year but it seems that all the Okies are always going in 10 different directions. Right now it's way to hot and we have the lovely burn ban on but I'd like to try and get something going this fall. Maybe between Oct and Dec. If we could find something in the OKC area that would be right in the middle for everyone..

4. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to get together and put some faces with the names. Unfortunately, like Neural said, it seems like I'm always headed in a dozen different directions. If we come up with a date I will sure do what I can to be there.

As far as a place, thats tough. My first thought is the Wichita Wildlife Refuge. It's not exactly centrally located though. Maybe someplace around arcadia? I've never spent any time there but it is pretty central. Another option might be Watonga (Roman Nose State Park).

I'm going to tag this thread to keep an eye on this.

SDS

5. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    I took a hiatis for a bit last year, I think I can swing something this year, Oct is too busy for me though.

Hope it will be a wee bit closer than the wild life refuge. But one monkey doesn't stop the show.

Let's do it!

6. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, there is a bit of gov land on the south side of Keystone Lake called Bakers Branch, about 250 acres around the inlet. I think we may be able to have go there, or maybe at least camping at the state park and then going to that area to play?? Haven't been to Roman Nose or the wild life refuge since I was very little back in the 70s.

7. briarbrow

briarbrow Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Have we met? oh no how could we, you have never introduced yourself :)

It would be great if we can do it. I agree it's too hot now, then comes archery season, but I'll go wherever, whenever.
    I would suggest one of our WMA as a good spot.

8. Muddy Paws

Muddy Paws Scout

Blog Posts:
    Keep me posted fellas, I will try and make it. Water and woods everywhere, don't mind a little drive.

9. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any other hunters here? What about an early archery hunt? Maybe Canton lake? Since October starts the hunting season that would be one more thing we could do while we are in the woods.

SDS

10. Amon32

Amon32 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am more than up for it we should set something up at least a month to a month and a half ahead of time so we can all try to fit it in to our "okie" schedule's. Also we could do something for our "children, grandchildren, nephews, and nieces" that are interested in bushcraft and the like.

11. crawford1775

Blog Posts:
    well, there are some okie bushcrafters, or should I say Soonercrafters (for the state, not the football team as I am sure we are mostly Cowboy fans). I can tell you that Arcadia is not a good spot. It has terrible fees and is owned by the city of Edmond. There is Red Rock Canyon state park south of Hinton that is a great spot for fall or early winter camping ( it is an awesome place at that time of year). The Keystone Lake suggestion wouldnt be bad, or if we really wanted to rough it, Little River WMA is in the Southeast Corner and is very accessable by roads, but rough enought to be called the Bush. There is a 3 day pass that cost 5 or 10 bucks, but there will be plenty of timber to work with and a river to fish or whatever in. there are several stomped down campsites to save us some times. There is also Lexington WMA that is somewhat centrally located. Just let me know where everyone is coming from and lets see if we can get something going. I'm in the Edmond/OKC area and if yall want I'll do my best to organize this thing. I'm a former Marine, Iraq Veteran, Lifetime Outdoorsman( short life, I'm 27) , and Aspiring Hardwoodsman. I have been interested in the skills for a longtime and am really wanting to learn more and really own these skills. If yall want, lets all give a brief intro, just so I can get to know all of yall. SDS where are you around OKC

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  12. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm out near Piedmont, NW side of town. I'll be keeping tabs on this. I'd love to see this actually happen this year.

SDS

13. okcaveman

okcaveman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Are you sure about this? I grew up within spittin distance of Little River NWR, and as far as I know it is no camping/no fires/ no cutting of any veg... Maybe they have changed things in the last few years. If so then I would be all for that.

14. crawford1775

Blog Posts:
    Okcaveman,

It is Honobia WMA, and camping and hiking are allowed. I believe there will be enough fallen hardwoods to mess with. I think it will be hard to find a section of hardwood that we can just cut to pieces. Ill check further into the regs and may contact the wildlife department. we could also go to Blue River State Park, it is a great spot in the fall. Small but surrounded by hardwoods. I just need to know where everone is coming from in the state so locations can be thinned out.

15. familytracker

familytracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    If its not to far away could a Kansas boy tag along if the timing works I would love to go.

16. briarbrow

Blog Posts:
    NWR is not WMA Cavey. In WMA you cannot cut wood or destroy habitat but you can gather dead wood for fires when conditions allow.

17. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not sure how you all would feel about it but the refuge outside Ft.Sill Has some nice spots for a camp. Lots of hiking and plenty of ponds for fishing. If anyone is up for that I can put all the info together.

18. okcaveman

okcaveman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What threw me is that there is no Little river WMA, it is Little River NWR. And BTW, I would advise you to check the regulations on each WMA as they differ quite alot from one WMA to another. I would also advise calling the WMA bio or tech to make sure of any iffy things.

I have spent little time on Honobia Creek WMA, but plenty on 3 Rivers WMA which is adjacent timber company owned as well, and I can say there will be very little actual hardwood to work with. The vast majority of what you will find will be pine. At least in most areas of the WMA

With that being said, I would like to see this happen. I would advise away from Lexington WMA (busiest WMA in the state). I would try and stick to the eastern part of the state, mainly because we have trees over here :4: , certain areas have a lot of flint/chert outcroppings, good scenery and good hunting/fishing depending on time of year

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  19. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Familytracker, I'm not setting this one up but I don't see why we couldn't make room for anyone from the forum who would like to pull up a log. The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty centrally located so I'm game for wherever is good for everyone else.

SDS

20. briarbrow

Blog Posts:
    OIC

Good advice! I always call before I go somewhere new. It feels like the biologist are always interested in helping and quite accessible. I have called more than one warden, left a message and never heard back.

If I had a vote it would be Leflore, but it doesn't really matter

21. crawford1775

Blog Posts:
    http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/restrictions.htm
    http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/publiclands.htm#Honobia_Creek_WMA
    check these out. on the honobia, the hardwoods will be closests to the river. I don't see any reason to cut stuff that doesnt need to be cut. the areas that I have traveled there provided numers piles of woods to use for crafting and shelter building.

Anyway, check out the links above, wildlifedepartment.com has a list of all WMAs and the restrictsion that each have. Please check a few of these out and provide a few suggestions.
    Also, please let me know where we are all coming from so we can try to include everyone. Thanks

22. Myers.scouts

Myers.scouts Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You can add one more interested in attending a Ok meet. Let's at least set a date so everyone can plan thier calendar, then we can find a place. I'll look into some Boy Scout properties in central OK.

23. lepercan

lepercan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm up for it, but hunting season is NOT the time to be in the woods doing woodscraft; particularly the leave-no-trace, woodsrat type I do. Please keep a post going here as you progress. I'd love to come. The idea of a round robin teaching meet appeals to me.

24. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    If I were trying to pick, or suggest a date, I'd say something in early November. Something after black powder season (Oct. 22-30) but before rifle season. Archery season will still be going on but I'm not as worried about a stray arrow as I am a stray chunk of lead.

SDS

25. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    This sounds better to me. I DO NOT want to be sharing the woods with over eager lead slingers. I still may not be able to meet up, I'll be burning my vacation in Oct. Been committed for a very long while.

Round robin style sounds good if I understand you correctly.
    What are everyone's strong suites? What can you bring to the table in other words?
    Not to say I am an expert but I'd be willing to share what I know about atlatls, Dakota holes, Cordage??? Not sure, I figure I could throw something out there and if there is an expert then let them take over. Also, are we talking 1, 2 or 3 days?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  26. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    OK meeting

Nov. 4 thru 5 sounds good. I can bring my portable forge and let folks do a simple metal implament: flint striker, squirrel cooker, s hook, ect... I'd love for someone who can regularly get a coal with a bow drill and hand drill give a demo. I can do most other primitve fire methods but I'm still not proficent with them.

27. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's a long ways off but it looks like I'm off on the weekend of Nov. 4-5. I don't know if everyone would want to stay out one night or two but if we picked a day, like Nov. 5 to do stuff people could camp on friday night and/or saturday night or just show up for the day.

If we don't get some rain around here we may not get to do any fire starting stuff or forging but thats a long ways off and a lot can happen.

Any suggestions on a place to go?? Lets start narrowing the options here.

SDS

28. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    I may have a spot for the meet. A friend of mine has 80 acers, mostly wooded, and only uses the front 5 to live on. I've taught survival skills to our scouts out there and there a couple of area we can walk into and set up camp. He has to check with his wife (of course) and will let me know. The land is easy to find, right of Hwy 39 between Lexington and Wynette. Since it's private land we can do most of what we want without any problems.

What do you all think?

29. briarbrow

Blog Posts:
    I just think it'd be fun to meet the neighbors

What is round robin?

30. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    A round robin is where demonstrators or teachers set up stations. The participants spend a set time at one station then move on to the next station untill they have made it to each station.

31. lepercan

lepercan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any open water for fishing, etc?

32. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    No, there aren't any pond large enough to fish in on the property. I can see if we can use on on the neighbor's place.

33. West Texas

West Texas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd be very interested in attending, if you allow Texans :) I'm too far away for any of the meets in my home state. This is the closest get-together I've seen yet

34. fire65

fire65 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am in Altus, still wondering where this may be happening?

35. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    We can use this for our meeting if everyone is ok with it. It will be about 1/4 mile hike from the parking area to the campsite. With the drought I don't know if the creek or spring will be running so we may have to carry water in (there is a very small pond but I would rather not use it other than for demos on water purification). I'll give this a week or so for everyone's input to see if we want to use this site then I'll send out maps.

36. fire65

Blog Posts:
    Distance is doable for me depending on dates.

37. snareman

snareman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SDS No Maybe about it LOL. I will be camped at canton lake during archery season, maybe we can meet.

38. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Snareman, let me know when you go up there. Not sure how my season is going to go yet. Had a little mishap in the shop a few days ago that is going to limit the use of my right hand for a little bit but if I can get this healed up I'll be out flinging some arrows soon.

SDS

39. snareman

snareman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SDS I will be at Big Bend by the 24 sept. I sent ya a PM explaining
    Hope to see ya there.

40. briarbrow

Blog Posts:
    awww, get well soon

41. rmullins

rmullins Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey scooter. I'm in Clarksville would be nice to get a western Arkansas thing goin.

42. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    Well, on one has said they don't like the date and/or place in Lexington so let make it official.

Oklahoma Bushcrafters 1st meeting will be Nov. 4-6 in Lexington, OK. E-mail me at myers.scouts@rocketmail.com and I'll send out a map.

Now we need to see who will demo what. If there is still a burn ban on I wound be able to do a blacksmith demo and would love to demonstrate some fire making items (flint&steel, fire piston, mirror, lens, tinders, ect) but I'm not proficient in the hand or bow drill yet. I know NECH said he would do bow drill.

So what are you good at? Snares, shelters, cooking, ect. or do you just want to come, learn, and have some fun?

43. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Email sent.

SDS

44. Mr. Guy

Mr. Guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll be there, not sure I have any skills to offer the round robin, but would love to learn from others anyway. E-Mail will be sent shortly.

Guy

45. Scooter

Scooter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I have been going up to Missouri to their gatherings. I would be up for something closer too.

46. fire65

Blog Posts:
    I will be there. Not sure what I have to show. Maybe ropes and knots.

47. jnp2whls

jnp2whls Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Denton TX. somewhat disabled but can do most activities. Would you accept an an old man that is prior Army paratroop Pathfinder and USMC grunt? Would love to learn and have some knowledge to share.

48. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can't make the 4th but I can make the 5th and 6th. Looking forward to finally getting an OK meet together. jnp2whls you are more then welcome as is anyone interested in some woods fellowship. Lets keep this moving forward..

49. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll be in touch, will need to hammer a few things out.

50. Myers.scouts

Blog Posts:
    I don't think anyone will disagree, the more the merrier.