Bushcrafting is its own reward...or is it??

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by kdlean, Feb 27, 2013.

1. kdlean

kdlean Tracker

Blog Posts:
  2. Tracker Wolf

Tracker Wolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic idea this guy had. Nothing more exciting then a real treasure hunt. Just wish I was closer to the supposed spots, not very cold here in Florida.
  3. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can understand the guys intentions , but getting out into the bush and nature should be motivated by things other than greed for money.
    I'm pretty sure not many of us here do it just to get rich.
  4. pap11y

pap11y Guide

Blog Posts:
    Are these people the types we want in the wilderness.

I recon it will cause wholesale damage to the areas... Good intention but I don't think it will work in favour of the wilderness..
  5. SIXFOOTER

SIXFOOTER Guide

Blog Posts:
    That was my first thought, gonna be a bunch of A-hols out there digging up the place and damaging olaces that don't need it
  6. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Wonder how many people are gonna get hurt/lost/dead trying to get treasure in the wilderness for the wrong reason.
  7. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sure your going to have idiots in the woods, which we have anyway. On the flip side I've heard of a lot of people who went to look for this treasure that walked away grateful it lured them into the woods and let them reconnect with nature. Anything that any of us do will have good and bad consequences, its the nature of life. When I teach a kid to build a fire I have to trust they will use that knowledge properly, not arson. We can only hope the good outweighs the bad most of the time.
  8. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like your approach to life. We must always try to look for the good side of things, and behave as though what we do matters, IMO.
  9. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Now, my opinion is that, one shouldnt need a tangible reward for going outside. I do agree with him that people these days-especially in urban areas-are losing part of their humanity, because they never TRULY experience nature (ok, never is an absolute, but, lets just assume I mean almost). Granted, there are people who DO, but, by & large, large cities are amusement parks, designed to keep you inside their boundaries. I do commend him for motivating people to get out more-but, I fear that greed will motivate people more than the experience. And, as a result, could potentially cause some unintended harm-people with little to no experience outdoors getting lost, hurt, etc.
    Now, here is what I HOPE-he buried NOTHING. Or, he buried something like old outdoor classic books, tools, etc-nothing of material value, but rather things that would actually be of use. As he is a collector of artifacts, it would be cool to see some treasures from the hunter gatherer societies in his area. Will be interesting to see if anyone EVER finds it.
    Faiaoga likes this.
  10. Nih

Nih Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nature itself is what I cherish and treasure. All the gold and money in the world will never be as beautiful as standing on a high coastal range peak, looking out over the forest, mountains, and sea.
  11. MWalker

MWalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    My daughter found a shed antler on our last outing. That was an immense treasure in her eyes.
  12. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Let's not forget he is trying to sell a book. I believe they call it marketing. :)
  13. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Frankly, I think it is awesome. For those who think the wilderness is going to be overrun with heavy handed treasure hunters, you overestimate man's greed for his laziness.

Also, based on the three clues given in the portion of the poem in the article, I can think of at least a half-dozen canyons downstream from some hotsprings that are 'too far to walk' (requiring some swimming or climbing, maybe, since no distance is too far to walk) that are also within 50 miles of Santa Fe. Just those few canyons cover hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness.

Combine that with the fact that New Mexico already has several famous lost treasures such as the treasure del Cuevo Oro, the treasure of Maximillian, a stash of army payroll (50 grand in gold coins) somewhere in San Juan county, the Victorio Peak treasure, and tons of others like gold mines that were never tapped, bank/train robbery takings that were hidden and never recovered, etc.

According to a friend's dad, prior to the information age, treasure hunting was a secondary or tertiary inspiration for camping trips in New Mexico. In addition to tents, guns, and fishing poles, people often brought picks and shovels in case anyone came across something interesting, such were the popularity of 'lost treasure' stories in New Mexico in the 20th century.

As for myself, I once found an abandoned mineshaft (about 2 feet in diameter and 6 feet long) that was probably after semi-precious stones since I found some bits and flakes of chalcedony in there. A couple of pieces big enough to sell to a jeweler.
  14. Ugly_Barbarian

Ugly_Barbarian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Supposedly I live in Vegas, but as I type this I'm
    Geocaching an interesting hobby...

For a while some family members of mine were into geocaching.....one of them got too lazy to continue (they don't read this so it isn't mean to say). I liked it, but as often as I travel, I simply came home from one of my many adventures (an all expenses paid trip to the middle east, thank you all for funding it, I had a great time there) and they didn't do it anymore. It is really too bad because it was one of the few things that got them out and about on a regular basis.

Back to the original intent of my post (sorry, I ramble sometimes), I was thinking that with all the people that like geocaching that are involved in Bushcraft, if you do carvings and such, whittling extra spoons as the prizes would be great practice.

For those that don't know, when you geocache, the person that makes a cache site and posts it to the web usually places a few trinkets at the site. When you go to a cache site you are supposed to take one of the trinkets from there as a momento, but also leave another trinket in its place. leaving a whittled spoon, fork, kuksa or a piece of leathercraft or something else bushcrafty (maybe with instructions or pictures of you making it and a link to this or your website) would be interesting and maybe get some geocachers involved in other aspects of the outdoors they hadn't considered.

I think I'm rambling again.......

As to the rich guy leaving a treasure, I think that is great. Like someone else on here wrote, most people are more lazy than greedy and won't bother; others may fall to darwinism....we didn't need them playing in the pool anyway. For a great many others, it may be what they need to get the rest of their family to go on a camping trip instead of to another phoney baloney hotel vacation, thereby helping them regain their outdoor lifestyle and create that lifestyle for their children.

my2ยข
  15. Wewillsurvive

Wewillsurvive Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone that has ever seen Kung Fu Panda with their kids will appreciate this...

The scroll is blank, well actually it was reflective... maybe he as others have said buried a camera with pictures of beautiful places or paintings of beautiful places or better yet maps to beautiful places in nature.
  16. Vanitas

Vanitas Guide

Blog Posts:
    I find it interesting, and yea the money would be nice but honestly I'd like to see the spot he chose to leave it. IMO if I went looking and found the treasure I'd take half and leave the rest as well as return his prized bracelet to him. I think I'd also have to leave something behind.
  17. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here in the bay area, we've got Mt. Tamalpais. Up on the beautiful north slope is an alpine lake, also stocked with fatty trout. But you can only drive to within about a mile of it. So a lot of folks don't bother to go there.

Shhhh... don't tell anyone.
  18. orbean

orbean Scout

Blog Posts:
    If anyone does find the treasure do not report it to anyone. The forest service has stated that if the treasure is found it is property of the USDA. Prospecting and treasure hunting is big in NM. There are so many places to look, so many rumors and stories. Panning and treasure hunting is a great hobby. I have found items that other people thought of as trash that i think of as treasure. Getting out is its own reward but i would not turn down a bonus
  19. gila_dog

gila_dog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think there's much chance of the mountains and canyons of NM being over run and trashed out by treasure seekers. Anybody who has ever been here and wandered around the back country would know how vast, harsh, and empty this place is. It simply overwhelms most human effort.

The clues (downstream from a hot spring into a rough canyon, too far to walk, above 5000 ft, below a blaze on a tree) are so vague that thousands of square miles of country could qualify. There are hot springs all over the state. Rough canyons are the norm. "Too far to walk" may mean you have to rappel or swim? The average elevation of NM is 5700 ft so that's not much help. Blazes on trees, well there are only thousands of those. "Put in below the home of Brown", now that's an interesting clue. Does it refer to a person named Brown who lives along a stream, or could he be referring to a pool full of brown trout? It's probably somewhere in the Santa Fe Nat Forest, which is probably the size of Connecticut.
  20. Ky. Greybeard

Ky. Greybeard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For me the treasure is just being out in nature. I never get mad at a DNF, the whole point is to get out and enjoy.