BushMoto With A Harley

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Guy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have a Suzuki DR-Z400S, that I am going to have to sell due to my worsening nerve damage and back, which is aggravated by its height. I needed something shorter, so I have purchased a Harley Davidson 883 Iron.

I will be fixing this up for more off-road use, primarily for public lands and back roads.

DSC_9583 (2).jpg

actichy, WindWalker, DCM and 38 others like this.
  2. cornbred

cornbred Scout

Blog Posts:
    brother Guy,a sissybar goes a long way...i strap my fullsize pack on my dyna,load the saddlebags n head to the mountains.i found about a 2 foot tall works best for me.even picked up a military duffle ,sewed a sleeve to go over the sissybar n now i can fill it with grocerys when i need to run into town..

T. Pollock, NattyBo, alukban and 3 others like this.
  3. Guy

Blog Posts:
    I had a Dyna Wide Glide for years and used the HD extended sissy bar with t-bags for camping. I have ordered a 30" old school sissy bar to strap my pack onto the Iron.

I like the duffle idea for groceries. I will try that one. Thanks!

T. Pollock, crewhead05 and cornbred like this.
  4. cornbred

cornbred Scout

Blog Posts:
    hahaha thats one of those 70's things i did, back when choppers had goosenecks n glitter paint....loved drag racing my sporties too..guy i even had a shovester...80 incher,gusseted up the trapdoor,changed the gears n hold on...lol...

Guy and IzaWildman like this.
  5. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you have back troubles, a backrest goes a long way. My bike just happened to have one on it when I bought it. I swore I'd never have something like that on a bike (used to be way into bobbers), but now I'd never ride one without it. Made a huge difference in my shoulders and neck. Sometimes you can just put a pack on the front of the sissy bar for a backrest also, depending on your setup. I'm always glad to see someone adapting their ride instead of giving up motorcycling. Should be a fun project.

T. Pollock and Guy like this.
  6. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Do you have specific mods in mind? Google tracker style sportsters for some good ideas.

x39 likes this.
  7. Guy

Blog Posts:
    I am going to try the backrest via a pack idea, first. I am holding off on the backrest seat until I see if the pack will fill the gap. I used a t-bag on the Dyna, with a sleeping bag in front of it, to give the thickness I needed. That may not be necessary with the shorter 883.

I have been looking at the trackers and like them, with the exception of the forward lean angle position of my body. I need to be able to support my back as much as possible. I like the mid-controls of the Iron for the standing possibility when on dirt, but I may have to compromise my desire to make it a dual-sportster, with my need to not hurt my health more. Which means a mild mini-ape type setup.

As for mods, I already have Progressive Suspension 13" shocks fork springs, to increase that 1/2" of travel that the bikes have from the factory. I want to do something with the exhaust to raise it up to help the lean angle, but I don't want the loud versions. That will be the trick to find. I plan on going on public lands and want it as quite as possible to avoid the wrath of the watchers, as well as to gain some clearance. That quest is a unicorn thus far.

EDIT: I also have a crash bar with highway cut-outs heading to me. I have a full length skid plate bookmarked as well.

T. Pollock, x39, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  8. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I saw this one that Burly Brands built a few years ago. Iron Cobra Fabrication built the pipes. I have no idea what they cost though. But I always thought this setup was beyond workable for dirt roads and fire lanes.

Attached Files:

9. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for interest. I am a relatively new rider (2 years) and just passed a year with my "bushcraft bike".

T. Pollock, Guy and x39 like this.
  10. Finner

Finner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking bike. Just a couple of thoughts that helped me out. It sounds counter-intuitive but I slapped some drag bars on my 1200 and found that the forward posture takes quite a bit of pressure off of my back (had a crash and broke my shoulder blade in half two years ago). Also, while it may not give you the clearance you are looking for, some cheap bolt on straights will definitely gain you at least an inch and a bit over the stock monsters. Cheers and looking forward to seeing your end result.
    1200.jpg

Guy, x39 and Pastor Chris like this.
  11. lowenBhold

lowenBhold Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very cool man. Biking is a passion of mine as well. As an older dude, the first thought I had was the seat. I'm way bigger than you so please take no offense when I say that seat looks way too small for your size. In my opinion, the seat is the first thing to look at when your back and comfort are a priority. I went from hurting after 45 min to being able to ride all day long, just by investing in a seat built for me. There are many companies that do a good job with it, but I went with the Russell day long seat. I like the fact that they take your stock seat and modify it base on your size and weight. Best money I ever spent on my bike hands down. I ride a lot, so it's a big deal for me.

Can't wait to see what all you do with yours!

Guy and x39 like this.
  12. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like it - I would ride it like I stole it.

13. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    T. Pollock likes this.
  14. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I look forward to seeing how you adapt the bike to suit your plans. Those Burley-jackrabbit pipes look useful. I'm lucky in that I don't have a back problem, but even so, on a long run I find it's nice to feel that extra back support. Camping gear stowed against the short back rest on my Guzzi works well for me.
    P1030957.JPG

15. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The birth of the BUSH HOG! :46::14::dblthumb:

16. Guy

Blog Posts:
    Now that is a sweet ride! I have thought about trying to find someone to do a custom exhaust that will give the spark arrestor that public lands require. I will bookmark the company and also see what may be up in Atlanta.

I had not thought about leaning forward, but I want to do some longer trips on it, so that may be cramp inducing. I have degenerative discs in upper back and osteo-arthritis in lower, plus nerve damage. I fear that I am going to be uncomfortable one way or the other, but I still want to ride.

Yes, the seat is coming. I am doing the suspension first and had thought about trying to get the stock one reworked. I will check out the Russell Day Long Seat. I have not heard of them before. I had a Mustang Royal on my Dyna. I loved that seat. I put over 40K miles on it.

Those are the exact ones I have bookmarked already for the rear. I am getting the Mitas E-07 Dakar, for the front.

lowenBhold, x39 and Finner like this.
  17. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If the HD doesn't work out, I remembered that I had two friends who rode a pair of these from WV to Alaska a few years back as a once in a lifetime trip.

http://imz-ural.com

Not sure which model it was, but I do remember they both sold them immediately after. I wouldn't judge the bike by that, because they did a similar trip to Utah in 2 Suzuki samurais which are an awesome vehicle. They sold them there and flew home.

They even make them in a 2wd model (rear wheel on bike, side wheel on sidecar pulls). Just posting the link because I thought it may be something neat to see or possibly get ideas from.

Guy likes this.
  18. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Guy Look good, like the color too.

Guy likes this.
  19. lowenBhold

lowenBhold Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    OK. I expected to scoff soon after clicking the link, but that's really pretty cool. thanks for sharing.

20. T. Pollock

T. Pollock Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice ride Guy! I think I'm going to clean up my v45 and try to trade it for a dual sport or an atv.

Guy likes this.
  21. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Since @saxonaxe showed us his Italian Bush Bike, I figured I can show my German one. It turned drinking age this year.

[​IMG]Untitled by Chris Scrivens, on Flickr

Keyser Söze, lowenBhold, Guy and 2 others like this.
  22. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice bike Pastor Chris, do those panniers affect handling? A friend let me ride his KLR650 with aluminum panniers, and above seventy there was a slight shimmy. Not scary, but there nonetheless.

Guy and Pastor Chris like this.
  23. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 7:32 AM
    Guy likes this.
  24. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Not noticeably. It is a bigger bike than the KLR though. The racks were also custom fabricated out of 5/8" solid aluminum bar stock, so they are stout.

x39 and Guy like this.
  25. TRYKER

TRYKER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    photo-353%20(2).jpg

the names......................TRYKER

Keyser Söze and Guy like this.
  26. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good luck with the Sporty, I love mine but with mini apes on it the bike is not to comfortable.

Guy likes this.
  27. central joe

central joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good looking scoot brother, I've got a FXDWG, and last week bought a new DR650 at 62. Ride safe and far joe

Guy likes this.
  28. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    No question the GS is a lot of machine, and a Beemer to boot, so I'm not surprised it's stable.