Camping trip 4-29

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by Spiffyguy, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Spiffyguy

Spiffyguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well since I missed the Hardwoodsman meet due to a wonderful cold I need to get out and get my camping on. Just bought a new hammock and need to test it :) Figured I would throw this out if anyone was interested although most are probably camped out from the meet. I was thinking maybe hitting Meremac State Park unless anyone had a better idea. I have not been there and they got a long trail. Anyway let me know if you are interested.

2. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to work or else I'd be in...

Ski

3. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    I was not sure if I was going to do two days or just a single overnight. If a Sat night would work let me know. I am pretty open. Just need to get out and do some stuff.

4. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    Na, work Wednesday to Monday 12 hour days this week... then Friday and Saturday 12 hour days next weekend. Wish I could though...

Ski

5. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    ahh that sucks. I used to do 12s over the weekend. Was nice having the whole week off but it killed doing anything with other people. There will be a next time for sure, so maybe then. You ever been to Meremac? Curious how the campsites and trail is. Looks nice and long at least.

6. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You thinking of just a "car camping"/test your gear out with some day hiking kind of thing. I also missed the HW meet and might be open to an overnighter. You thinking Sunday night? Very up in the air right now, but I really like MO. so I might be willing to do a trip down that way.

7. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about doing some hiking into a location. I have off fri and sat. I suppose I could take Sunday off if I needed to since I didn't use the vacation for the HW meet :( still makes me sad. But I am open to any sort of plan. I usually plan for myself just in case no one else can make it. There are a few places to go that are close to STL area. I would prefer not to stay in a campground at the parks, the buy a plot kind, but rather head off to a primitive or just a spot in the woods. Why pay to camp next to a dude with a TV lol. that is my thinking anyway.

I have class on Friday so I can't book out of town until 2pm. But Sat night would be fine with me. As I said pretty much open to any ideas, just need to get out and about. Bought a new hammock and some trekking poles. Must mosey :)

8. MissouriMapper

MissouriMapper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd really like to but can't this weekend. Maybe next time.

9. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    no worries. i know it is short notice. Probably going to rain. But hey I can practice the splitwood fire then :)

10. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Im in for a differant weekend for sure man. Just cant bail to the woods again this soon after the meet.

11. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    totally understand that. I got to get my April trip, which was the meet but I got sick, so off to the woods I go. :) Then I have to start planning May. Nice thing about one trip a month, you are always planning the next one.

12. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been down to Meramec State Park in years... My next weekends off that I don't already have anything planned are Sat 5/12 and Sat 5/19. I could be ready to leave St Charles area around 5pm on those Fridays if that worked better though. From the last weekend in May till July I'm slammed, the last I heard I'm only off 2 days in June.

Ski

13. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    well I just saw the post that the professor has up for his meet up on May 4th. So I think I might hit that one instead of this weekend. That looks like a good time.

I am not sure what the plans are for the rest of the month. I know first two weeks of juune are shot for me, but it may be crazy hot. I set me goal of 12 overnights in the year, but I guess they don't all have to be in each month. Come July I may not want to sweat it out lol. But we should plan up some trips as it seems like there is a few folks in the STL area.

14. karlhungusjr

karlhungusjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm invading your state in just a couple hours. I'll be over by el dorado springs testing out my new set up. New hammock, new axe, new pack, new hat, etc.. I replaced a lot of stuff this winter and I'm eager to get it out.

15. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    never been to that corner of the state. I just picked up a new ENO doublenest I am going to try on the next trip. Lighter than my DIY hammock. Seems to feel a bit better too. Need to replace my poly tarp too. After than my set up should be pretty light.