Can mosquitoes bite through a space blanket?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by jamsix, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jamsix

jamsix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    An interesting conversation came up about bug nets and space blankets and we were stumped on this question... Can mosquitoes bite through a space blanket? Anyone have first hand experience with this?

2. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The thing with bug nets is keeping them far enough away from the skin that they can't bite.

With a space blanket? Unsure. I see it as a possibility maybe. If it can get through your flesh, I am not sure how much safety a sheet of mylar would provide.

3. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    Purely opinion here -- but it is the Internet after all... There ain't any mosquito in the world that could punch through a mylar blanket.

4. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well maybe the skeeters here can in Alaska

[​IMG]

It isn't possible for them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I rarely laugh out loud,

but that got me :)

Thx.

6. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't really know anything about this subject, but here is my guess. I assume that mosquitoes are able to bite you through clothing by forcing their stinger thing in between the threads of your clothing. Space blanks are a solid plastic/mylar material, so it should be much more difficult for them to poke a hole in that. Just my guess, I could be wrong.

7. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess it depends on just how needle-like their stingers are. Which is a matter I can't shed any light on. :33:

8. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Maybe them Alaska skeeters could!! But no way in hell could any normal (real) skeeter could punch through mylar!!! That stuff was developed by NASA for the apollo lunar module!!! I think it would handle bugs!!!!

9. WanderingCrow

WanderingCrow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On a rough trip to Ocracoke Island last summer I found relief by rolling up in a wool baja blanket at night. They were coming through everything I put between us until I rolled up in my Mexican blanket like a burrito with shoes and a bandanna on. I then slept soundly if sweatily. No-one else managed to get any sleep. I swear those mosquitoes wear helmets. When I woke up and unraveled, I saw a seagull and a mosquito in a fist fight on top of the dune and the mosquito had the reach advantage. If I'm lying you can shoot me. ;)

10. cobra

cobra Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was under the impression that the female mosquito inserts her proboscis in pores, not actually breaking the skin. However, I'm not an expert and with a cursory search of Google didn't find any supporting evidence for my theory. However, I still maintain that belief.

11. DBX

DBX Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mosquitoes home in on CO2 from exhalation and then zero in with heat. A Mylar blanket will not stop them from finding you, but will mess with them finding a place to bite

Sent from...

12. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No, they cannot bite through it.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

13. woody-in-nc

woody-in-nc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I was down in GA kayaking on the Ogeechee, I would use Citronella essential oil. Lemon Eucalyptus works well, too.

14. Raggedy Man

Raggedy Man Scout

Blog Posts:
    They generally cannot get to your skin through the mylar. If you keep one folded up for a long time, the creases/folds can get little wear holes in them where a mosquito could get you.

15. Airth

Airth Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nope, it's a solid plastic barrier, so they can't get through it as long as it's intact. Only the females bite, and they insert their proboscis into the skin, even in animals without pores. Before you swat (unless you're actively being bitten), look at the bugger if you can. Generally, if you see very long, feathery looking antennae, it's a male mosquito---their presence actually drives the females away. The ultrasonic repellers work on this principal, mimicking the high-pitched drone of male mosquitos.